Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another low/high beam comparison... This was done by haknslash on HIDPlanet. Only one projector is shown.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Nice!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like that!

It looks like it has the same low beam cut off in highbeam mode as low beam, that true?

I will look back through the pictures and see if i see those other pics. Thanks for these!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I like that!

It looks like it has the same low beam cut off in highbeam mode as low beam, that true?

I will look back through the pictures and see if i see those other pics. Thanks for these!
basically all low beam projectors have a "cutoff shield" which blocks the top half of the beam and has a "step" cut into the middle of it, on bi-xenon projectors there is a solenoid that moves this shield down allowing more light through, thats how you get the high beam, and as you see it has no affect on the lower part of the beam

this is what a cutoff shield looks like:

Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks^^. That explaines it. I was thinking it was like a normal light where either there is another "bulb" or the bulb moved to make the high beam.

I guess this makes more sense since there is so much more light output. Plus it works better!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks^^. That explaines it. I was thinking it was like a normal light where either there is another "bulb" or the bulb moved to make the high beam.

I guess this makes more sense since there is so much more light output. Plus it works better!
i forgot to add this pic last night but here it is in high mode:
BTW, the projector shown is from a land rover lr3

Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I see how it works, though i wounder, does the light that is blocked just lost of is it reflected out in the low beam? AKA, when you turn on the high beam does the light get a little dimmer due to it spreading out or just it stay the same and judt make a wider beam?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I see how it works, though i wounder, does the light that is blocked just lost of is it reflected out in the low beam? AKA, when you turn on the high beam does the light get a little dimmer due to it spreading out or just it stay the same and judt make a wider beam?
the brightness stays the same whether its in low or high mode, you just get to see the beam that was previously covered up, and something to note, the lenses on projectors "flip" the image going through them, notice that in my pic that the cutoff shield is on the bottom of the projector, but after it goes through the lens the dark part of the beam (covered up by shield) is at the top, you have to think upside down at times when working with these things
Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The light doesn't get dimmer, all that you are doing when you "turn on" the highbeams is allowing all the light that was hitting the cutoff shield to pass through onto the projector lens,

The light is always there, it just gets blocked, it's not like the bulb has to try any harder to get more light out wehn you hit the high beams

oh, and why do you want to go with 50w Hid's? Other than the american disease of: "What? They make a bigger/better/awesomer one??? I MUST HAVE IT!!!"

I would say, get the Hid's first, then if they aren't good enough, start worrying about upgrading
Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
Other than the american disease of: "What? They make a bigger/better/awesomer one??? I MUST HAVE IT!!!"
Ok, i will admit it, you caught me. I have a chronic case, especially for lights for some strange reason.

Like I just got a 35w REAL HID handheld 3000 lumen flashlight. You could literally signal the spaces station with this thing. I know a guy that got in trouble for shining it on a plane.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 AM

I'll be doing my retro in the next few weeks. I just picked up a set of FX35 projectors and a set of clear TSX lenses. I'm going to do the color (o-ring) mod and I'm on the fence as to use the Philips 85122+ (3400 lumen) bulbs or go with Retro-solutions 55 watt bulb and ballast set up.

Color mod: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28599

55watt bulb and ballast: http://www.retro-solutions.com/55wattpackages.html
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
I'll be doing my retro in the next few weeks. I just picked up a set of FX35 projectors and a set of clear TSX lenses. I'm going to do the color (o-ring) mod and I'm on the fence as to use the Philips 85122+ (3400 lumen) bulbs or go with Retro-solutions 55 watt bulb and ballast set up.

I've already started my retro. Hope to be done in the next few weeks as well. FX projectors (look to be clear lenses), Hella Gen 3 ballasts and phillips 85122+ bulbs.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 AM

...I'm also going to be replacing my stock fogs with a set of Hella Micro DE fogs and retro them with an H3 hid system...how sick is that....

Here's a link: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...ighlight=micro
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 AM

...I'm also going to be replacing my stock fogs with a set of Hella Micro DE fogs and retro them with an H3 hid system...how sick is that....

Damnit trying to get me to spend more $$$? haha I'm going to get the shockwork bumper in the next few months so no more stock fogs for me
Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by JHRRLD
Damnit trying to get me to spend more $$$? haha I'm going to get the shockwork bumper in the next few months so no more stock fogs for me
...the problem with having a job that pays well is....I spend more and it never seems to end....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, i am doing that same thing as soon as i get the $$.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 AM

...the problem with having a job that pays well is....I spend more and it never seems to end....
I know it sucks... could be worse though
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM

I have the Philips 85122+ bulbs and I love em. Philips is known for having very high quality. Going with a 55w setup will give you more light, but I'm not sure about the quality on those. OEM ballasts will always be better quality. Either way you are going to have a LOT of light.

Last edited by pdyebrasil; 01-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
I have the Philips 85122+ bulbs and I love em. Philips is known for having very high quality. Going with a 55w setup will give you more light, but I'm not sure about the quality on those. OEM ballasts will always be better quality. Either way you are going to have a LOT of light.
You know 3400 lumen for a 55watt bulb seems a little low. I haev a 35w HID flashlight and it gets 3000 lumens.

I think you might be right about the ballest.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM

You know 3400 lumen for a 55watt bulb seems a little low. I have a 35w HID flashlight and it gets 3000 lumens.
The Philips 85122+ bulbs are rated at 3400 lumens, but they run off of 35w ballasts. You need a special bulb that runs off of a 50w ballast, which I'm sure are rated higher. But 6800 lumens out in front of you ain't half bad...

Quick Reply: HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)