Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my god, thats just freaking insane. Wow.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 PM

nice retrofit dude, great cut-off.... 1000x better then plug-and-plays; bright but not blinding. I hate the glare those plug-and-play kits throw off.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just a thought but could you use the shroud from home depot (or wherever) and use it on one of the Plug-and-play kits that everyone hates to rid the glare??

as i already have a kit on the way and it sounds like i am going to blind people with my glare

Last edited by ETRNL; 01-06-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL
just a thought but could you use the shroud from home depot (or wherever) and use it on one of the Plug-and-play kits that everyone hates to rid the glare??

as i already have a kit on the way and it sounds like i am going to blind people with my glare
No, because you still need the projector housing.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL

Like Whitey said, you are going to want to get actual projectors if you don't want to blind anyone. The shroud is what covers up the projectors.

If you don't want to go the projector route, you MUST get some casper shields so that you don't blind everyone on the road. But go with projectors and everyone will be happy; no one gets blinded and you get all that extra light that HIDs give you focused to where you need it.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM

That is some quality work you did there..Well done..That is some intense light..
Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
My dash doesn't have any hot spots... I used to have some in my climate control, but I got some 3-LED 74 bulbs and they did the trick. Also, my LEDs dim quite a bit before turning off.

I did get the white face gauges, and they match the LEDs great, plus it looks real good during the day.
maybe it's got something to do with how the lights are layed out in my truck as apposed to the newer rigs, who knows? That's cool that you're able to dim them too, I have just given up, if I try to do it again, I'll go with some flexible strips or something and wire them in myself with a dimmer (if I can find one)

I did try the white face gauges too, I just didn't like them, I thought they would be cool, but I just got tired of looking at them, maybe if somebody made a set of stock looking reverse (so the whole gauge isn't blue or green at night) gauges I might try them, but the only ones out there look ummm..... very "ricer"

btw, why did you decide to go with the porsche bi-xenons? just curious, oh and do you have any pics from under the hood, I just want to see what kind of clearance you've got behind them, thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

does anyone know where to find pics of output with the casper sheilds?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I did try the white face gauges too, I just didn't like them, I thought they would be cool, but I just got tired of looking at them, maybe if somebody made a set of stock looking reverse (so the whole gauge isn't blue or green at night) gauges I might try them, but the only ones out there look ummm..... very "ricer"

btw, why did you decide to go with the porsche bi-xenons? just curious, oh and do you have any pics from under the hood, I just want to see what kind of clearance you've got behind them, thanks!
My gauges look stock when lit up, just different colors:

Why the Porsches? Well, from all the research I did and opinions people had it basically came down to three: the TLs, Porsches, or Muranos. The TL has the most intensity and color, but the foreground limiter causes problems when you put them in higher vehicles. Superjoe has some, but he had to modify the limiter. The Porsches are probably the next best when it comes to intensity, and they have a very wide light output. Plus, no mods needed. The Muranos place third, but are still good projectors.

So, I decided on the Porsches, and then I ended up getting a really good deal on them, so that was that.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM

Oh, I almost forgot... I'll try and get some pics from the engine compartment tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Sorry for the delay... here are the pics from under the hood (w/out the rubber boots on).

Passenger side:

Driver side:

I didn't measure before hand, but it doesn't seem like the projectors sit too much closer to the battery and air box than the stock lights do, but I'd have to compare side by side.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 AM

Where did you end up getting your Porsche projectors? I located them at a couple of places online. One is out of stock and the other wants a rediculous price...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Is it just me or does your runner look like Johnny Five now?

Excellent work, that setup is awesome!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:23 AM

That's awesome
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 PM

are we limited to what kind of projectors we can use?? i know some are larger, some are smaller, some are deeper and some more stubby, but are there any that WILL NOT fit in our housings??

also the shroud, is it absolutely necessary?? i kind of like the exposed look of the projectors..by not having a shroud won't affect the light output would it??

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, you just sold me. I am getting a set just like your as soon as i finish the inside of my truck!

Except i think i will get some 50w HID in mine but i love the beam pattern on those projectors. What are the high beams like?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Where did you end up getting your Porsche projectors? I located them at a couple of places online. One is out of stock and the other wants a rediculous price...
It seems like the Porsche projectors are a little harder to get a hold of, but if you keep your eyes open on ebay and open a thread on HIDPlanet I'm sure you'll find some.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
pdye i think that u created enough of a interest u should make a bolt on kit for these
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by derK
are we limited to what kind of projectors we can use?? i know some are larger, some are smaller, some are deeper and some more stubby, but are there any that WILL NOT fit in our housings??

also the shroud, is it absolutely necessary?? i kind of like the exposed look of the projectors..by not having a shroud won't affect the light output would it??

Thanks.
Since the housings in our 4Runners are pretty big, you can make pretty much make any projector fit. I personally haven't tried other projectors besides the Porsches, but I know that they are some of the larger projectors out there. I do think that the projectors w/ 3" lenses look better in the larger housing and perform better as well. Depending on the projector you may run into other issues, like the above-mentioned foreground limiter on the TL projectors.

The shroud is not absolutely necessary; it's more for looks than anything. Some projectors are not fully enclosed (including the Porsches) so if you do not somehow cover the sides you will get some stray light.

I used foil tape to cover the sides and then used the shroud to cover up the whole projector.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ok, you just sold me. I am getting a set just like your as soon as i finish the inside of my truck!

Except i think i will get some 50w HID in mine but i love the beam pattern on those projectors. What are the high beams like?
50w would be insane! The 35w ballasts are fine for me... for now

I love the pattern as well. The other output shots I posted show low beam versus high, but here are some against my garage, although they aren't the best...

LOW:

HIGH:

Quick Reply: HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)