Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TEPUI
what temperature did you set the oven at t remove the lenses? How long did you bake the lights?
I set my oven at 350 for 7 mins. Worked perfect. Same thing when I put it all back together. I still need to post pics of my newest set-up....
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Haha it's been a while everyone... Well I had to redo my driver side headlight cuz it broke. Not sure what happened, it was parked and when I went out to drive it the light angled down towards the ground. I almost think someone just kicked it and ran off! But I can confirm the the OEM glass lenses distort the light MORE than the aftermarket lenses. My new driverside headlight has a much blurrier cutoff than the other one with the aftermarket lenses. Just an FYI
Old 02-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Haha it's been a while everyone... Well I had to redo my driver side headlight cuz it broke. Not sure what happened, it was parked and when I went out to drive it the light angled down towards the ground. I almost think someone just kicked it and ran off! But I can confirm the the OEM glass lenses distort the light MORE than the aftermarket lenses. My new driverside headlight has a much blurrier cutoff than the other one with the aftermarket lenses. Just an FYI

I noticed that also, I took out bambi last year on the driver's side and one housing is new and one is old...the old one gives off a lot less light...and color. I'm debating whether to buy two new lights for my projector retrofit or clean the glass on the pass-side? Anyone else just take off the glass housing and give it a good cleaning ?

pdyebrasil clean out the pm message box

Last edited by Jay204; 02-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM

i dont think "cleaning" the glass will help a whole lot unless theres a haze buildup or crap inside the headlight....our lenses arent plastic, so we dont get that yellowish crap. you could give it a shot though. if it works, it was an easy fix, if it doesnt help, no harm done...just order up a new set.

btw...where are people buying their aftermarket ones from? i noticed ebay doesn't have the 99-01 HL's a whole lot these days.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which projectors are the best for the 3rd gen clear headlights?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 AM

depends what you're after, and price range. i'd definitly go w/ bixenons, and the most common would be TL's, fx's or murano/porsches. personally, i'm using the murano, and take them over the TL's and fx's any day.

i've dealt with a set of TL's, and they're nice, but i think they're a bit overrated. very nice even beam, but doesn't justify the price imho

i've dealt with...5 set of fx's, and a set of g35's (kinda the same, but w/ foreground limiter) and they're wide and have a nice cutoff, but dont match the intensity of the TL's. they WERE cheap about a year ago, but prices have gone up again, so again, not justifiable.

i'm using murano's w/ clear lenses, and they are very nice w/ 50w ballasts. i think they're up and up with the TL's personally, but their size limits a lot of peoples use, so they dont get much credit...but our headlights are huge, and can fit just about anything in em. PLUS they're pretty cheap and usually widely available. bang for the buck can't be beat.

you could also go w/ e46's, e55's, or like rs6's or whatever, but i wouldn't waste my time w/ their performance since youre going through the hassle of doing the retro...might as well do it right and do it once.

save up, and buy what you really want. go 50w if you want, but if you do, make SURE you use genuine phillips/osram bulbs, which you should use anyway..

i know a bunch of us on here are also on hidplanet.com so feel free to ask questions, but i suggest you head over there, sign up, and read up...it'll be a lot easier, and you'll learn a lot
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jay204
I noticed that also, I took out bambi last year on the driver's side and one housing is new and one is old...the old one gives off a lot less light...and color. I'm debating whether to buy two new lights for my projector retrofit or clean the glass on the pass-side? Anyone else just take off the glass housing and give it a good cleaning ?

pdyebrasil clean out the pm message box
PM box cleaned!!!

Well I just noticed a difference between the OEM factory glass lenses and the aftermarket lenses... and it seems the aftermarket lenses are clearer. I picked mine up off of ebay for I think $80 a piece new. I also don't think that cleaning them would do much good.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:11 AM

This is like the energizer thread...it keeps going and going

Thank pdyebrasil
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 AM

i recently installed a hi/lo hid kit on my 2000 4runner. i'm not sure if all the kits are the same but the way mine wires in it plugs into the factory headlight harness on the dr/batt side and then runs from that side to the pass side headlamp leaving the pass side headlamp harness unplugged. i tried unplugging the resistor box, tried removing the drl fuse, and still the drl's remain on. what other options do i have? anyone else had this problem or know how to solve it? i really want to stay away from cutting wires.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a 2000 right?

All i had to do was unplug that box by the battery and it turned mine off, i have a 2000 limited.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM

yea i tried unplugging that box and it didnt help i think it is becuase of the hi/lo hid kit i installed.the way mine wires in it plugs into the factory headlight harness on the dr/batt side and then runs from that side to the pass side headlamp leaving the pass side headlamp harness unplugged. not sure why this would matter but unplugging that box has no effect. there is a seperate relay that wires in with the hid kit because of the plunging bulb that adjusts where the light goes when you put the high beams on.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

i have fx bixenon projectors with tsxr lens and the hids and balasts. I am ready to go on my retro but can not find a write up between yota tech, tr4.org or hidplanet to save my life. I need small details like what size screws and what washers and what size hole saw(could have sworn i read that somewhere in here).

Does anyone know where i could find a good writeup on a 3rd gen fx retrofit?? The write up that is linked everywhere is the same one at 'wecool.com' that has been shutdown for quite some time now.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
to bad none of the pics work
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM

UPDATE: February 7, 2011

I just recently upgraded my retrofit with some much better shrouds, CCFL halos, and clear lenses. I started a new thread in order to show you all.

Check it out: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...-ccfls-229227/

Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Question Vehicle to vehicle Headlight assembly transplant

First off, love the headlight conversion. Okay, I was wondering if I were to take a pair of 1998 Toyota Tacoma projector headlight assemblies, could I put them in a 1998 Toyota 4Runner without too much modification? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM

I kno this thread is pretty much dead but any body kno where I can find the same lights for a 94 4runner...besides HIDs
Old 11-16-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
UPDATE: February 7, 2011

I just recently upgraded my retrofit with some higher power ballasts and bulbs, much better shrouds, CCFL halos, and clear lenses. I started a new thread in order to show you all.

Check it out: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...-ccfls-229227/

__________________________________________________ __________________

After a few bumps in the road I have finally finished my retrofit of Porsche bi-xenon projectors into my '98 4Runner. I am very impressed w/ the results. Here are some pictures during the project...

Glass lenses removed:

Projectors mounted:

And sealed from the back:

After I get the rig all cleaned up today I'll take some pictures of them installed and hopefully get some output shots as well.
Bratik - Hoping you have a parts list that I could reference as I try to recreate. Haven't been able to locate within the thread.

Thanks!