Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Helix Power Tower

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helix Power Tower

I've heard mixed reviews on this thing. I would like to have my throttle body and MAF sensor cleaned at my 60k service, so this would be an easy addition while they were doing the other stuff. Opinions on this thing? Hoax or somewhat beneficial? Doc Z has it and I believe he likes it. Later.

Matt
Old 11-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Away

I get asked this question so much, I should post a review of it.

The Power Tower is the first mod I made to my truck. Before adding the PT, my truck seemd "boggy" off the line and there were "flat" spots in the power band. Nothing REALLY bad, but I had just moved from a highly modified Supra Turbo with gobs of HP to the 4Runner. So it was a little lacking for me.

Anyway, after reading about the Helix and talking with some people who owned them, I decided to give it a try. I bought mine from www.summitracing.com for $97.80 delivered to my door. It took me about 45 minutes to install it and the directions were really decent. There's not much to installing it anyway. The kit also came with parts to re-locate some of the throttle linkage as the PT moved the TB a little over 1" to the left. One of the pieces is made of billet aluminum, very nice.

So, after installing it, the "bogginess" was gone as were the flat spots. It pulled to redline much more smoothly. I also noticed about a 1mpg improvement in fuel economy. One of the reasons the Helix works is because it increases the length of the Intake Runners, which lowers the point (in RPM's) at which Maximum Torque occurs. It doesn't seem to affect top end power. If it does, I certainly didn't notice any detrimental effects. The midrange was definitely more snappy than before. I was very pleased.

Here's the Helix Power Tower Website. Here are the Installation Instructions.

Even after all the mods I've made since installing it, I still feel that the Helix is a valuable addition to my truck.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Dr. Z
Old 11-13-2002, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dr. Z:

I am assuming you didn't dyno...I'm not sure if it would be worth it either. But in comparison to, say, the deckplate mod...how would you compare the positive HP and/or torque gains compared to it? Or your other mod that you created (I forget the name already)?

Bob
Old 11-13-2002, 07:06 PM
Away

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Dr. Z:

I am assuming you didn't dyno...I'm not sure if it would be worth it either. But in comparison to, say, the deckplate mod...how would you compare the positive HP and/or torque gains compared to it? Or your other mod that you created (I forget the name already)?

Bob
The Intake Silencer Removal is what I called my mod.

About the comparisons. I'd say the Helix is better than the DeckPlate alone. The two together are a good combo certainly. It's hard for me to judge certain things concerning the Helix at this point since my intake and exhaust have changed drastically since I installed it.

But, the main thing I noticed with the Helix versus the DeckPlate is that the Helix definitively added low-end torque AND mid-range power, where as the DeckPlate seemed to only benefit the upper mid-range and top end. I felt the difference the DeckPlate made was less useful and less noticeable than the contributions made by the Helix. On a truck, low-end torque and mid-range power are far more useful than upper RPM power for most people.

I don't have any way of giving feedback of the DeckPlate installed on an otherwise un-modfied truck since I had made many mods to my truck before ever installing the DeckPlate. I can definitely say that the DeckPlate alone is more effective than the Elbow Removed.

Hope that clears things up.
Dr. Z

EDIT: Concerning my mod, I think I've said all I can say about that in my write up.

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 11-13-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:41 PM

I am definitely going to get this power tower doo-dad soon. It seems like a quick and easy way to get "up to" 20 hp.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 PM
CTB

That was a joke about getting 20 hp, right?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:48 PM
Away

Originally posted by CTB
That was a joke about getting 20 hp, right?
Well, not exactly. On our trucks somewhere between 7-10HP is probably a fair guess. It really does make a noticeable difference. They have Dyno results on their site if you want to read them yourself. People still scoff at the DeckPlate even though it's been dyno-tested.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 11-14-2002, 02:45 PM
CTB

I could believe gains close to that from the deckplate, or possibly even close to that with the intake silencer removal. It just doesn't seem like you would see gains like that from the Power Tower, but I may be completely wrong...
Old 11-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

When the power tower was dyno'd by members of TTORA, the largest increase seen was 2hp. More vehicles saw a decrease in power than an increase with the unit installed.

It may be a sound idea for a carburated engine, but with EFI, it's just a blockage in your intake.

Consistantly, the people who advocate this thing don't get dyno tested, so I think they are feeling a "psychological horsepower" increase. Show me a dyno slip that proves otherwise and I will shut up
Old 11-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Away

Originally posted by WATRD
When the power tower was dyno'd by members of TTORA, the largest increase seen was 2hp. More vehicles saw a decrease in power than an increase with the unit installed.

It may be a sound idea for a carburated engine, but with EFI, it's just a blockage in your intake.

Consistantly, the people who advocate this thing don't get dyno tested, so I think they are feeling a "psychological horsepower" increase. Show me a dyno slip that proves otherwise and I will shut up
Hi Rob,

Always with the nay-saying...

The opening on the Helix isn't any smaller than the stock TB diameter, so, it isn't a restriction. All I know is the problems and complaints I had with the truck before installing it were solved afterwards. Can you point to some links that have the dyno results done by the members of TTORA? I know the Jeep guys liked a similar product...

Dr. Z
Old 11-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Hi Rob,

Always with the nay-saying...

The opening on the Helix isn't any smaller than the stock TB diameter, so, it isn't a restriction. All I know is the problems and complaints I had with the truck before installing it were solved afterwards. Can you point to some links that have the dyno results done by the members of TTORA? I know the Jeep guys liked a similar product...

Dr. Z
I know it It seems like you and I are always at odds on these things

I am glad you feel it worked for you, but until I see some dyno results indicating otherwise, I must write it off to some form of psychosomatic healing. I am one of those "prove it" kind of guys...

I will ask around and see if I can round up the gang who did the dyno's, it was better than a year ago, so it's going to take a bit of searching. In the mean time, you might ask Gadget what he thinks of the mod. I beleive he was around TTORA when the testing was going on.

I am not saying it can't work, just that no one has ever shown any evidence beyond their seat of the pants feel that it did anything. Most people say they feel no difference and would have gotten more satisfaction out of setting that money on fire.

You are the first person I have ever heard rave about it like this and I am more than a bit skeptical

No hard feelings?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Away

I know it It seems like you and I are always at odds on these things

I am glad you feel it worked for you, but until I see some dyno results indicating otherwise, I must write it off to some form of psychosomatic healing. I am one of those "prove it" kind of guys...

I will ask around and see if I can round up the gang who did the dyno's, it was better than a year ago, so it's going to take a bit of searching. In the mean time, you might ask Gadget what he thinks of the mod. I beleive he was around TTORA when the testing was going on.

I am not saying it can't work, just that no one has ever shown any evidence beyond their seat of the pants feel that it did anything. Most people say they feel no difference and would have gotten more satisfaction out of setting that money on fire.

You are the first person I have ever heard rave about it like this and I am more than a bit skeptical

No hard feelings?
Alright, cool Rob.

And no hard feelings whatsoever you bg jerk! LOL Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Dr. Z
Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Actuall, here's Gadget's response from 11/04/2001 on the TTORA national board regarding the Tornado unit which does the same thing...

I have tried it on the 3.4. In a word, JUNK!
Gadget
Old 11-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Away

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WATRD
Actuall, here's Gadget's response from 11/04/2001 on the TTORA national board regarding the Tornado unit which does the same thing... [/QUOTE

Okay, well the tornado doesn't do the same thing. It's before the TB.

The Helix is between the TB and the Plenum.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Here's another from Gadget on 11/04/2001

Some here have tried the Power Tower. Some say no difference and some claim improved throttle responce.
It is simply my opinion that there is no way that thing can do what they claim on the 3.4, but I have never tested it myself. The guys over on www.TundraSolutions.com have. The 4.7 has a dry induction system like the 3.4 and after they have tested it they have renamed it the "Power Toliet".
Old 11-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Away

Okay Rob, you win.

I'll not tout the praises of the Helix any more. I'm happy with it. That's enough for me.

If anyone wants to try it, it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee if you buy from Summit Racing.

Not to dis Gadget, but I'm not a desciple of his. He's done a lot for the SC guys, but I see nothing for the NA guys. So, his opinion on things never really helps me.

Peace
Dr. Z
Old 11-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Okay Rob, you win.

I'll not tout the praises of the Helix any more. I'm happy with it. That's enough for me.

If anyone wants to try it, it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee if you buy from Summit Racing.

Not to dis Gadget, but I'm not a desciple of his. He's done a lot for the SC guys, but I see nothing for the NA guys. So, his opinion on things never really helps me.

Peace
Dr. Z
I am not trying to win, just find the truth. I am as much in performance as the next guy, but I can't see throwing money at a mod that doesn't do anything, as I am sure you would agree.

Just go dyno that bad boy and make a liar out of me
Old 11-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Away

I am not trying to win, just find the truth. I am as much in performance as the next guy, but I can't see throwing money at a mod that doesn't do anything, as I am sure you would agree.

Just go dyno that bad boy and make a liar out of me
I can't dyno it now. I'd have to take it out to set a baseline, then install it then run it again, etc...

Too much money to do that. I don't have deep pockets.

I do know the Helix wouldn't help SC guys.

Dr. Z
Old 11-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

I can't dyno it now. I'd have to take it out to set a baseline, then install it then run it again, etc...

Too much money to do that. I don't have deep pockets.

I do know the Helix wouldn't help SC guys.

Dr. Z
Ahh...

I just posted to the TTORA site asking for the folks with the dyno sheets to contact me.

Again, I am happy that you find it works for you.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 PM
Away

Before I bought mine, everyone I spoke with who owned one had nothing but good things to say about it. I couldn't find any bad reviews of it on the web either and I searched a lot, too.

I still haven't had anyone who currently owns one say it sucks... Only those who don't and are just going on hearsay.

Dr. Z

Quick Reply: Helix Power Tower