Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gen 3 Auto Dimming Mirror Complete Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir904
Ritzy, great writeup.
according to your writeup, which pins are 1& 2? looking at the back of the mirror, do the numbers begin left to right or right to left? this is why i ask.
Thanks for the cudos on my write up. First thing, my mirror was out of a 1999 GMC Suburban. It is a Gentex model GNTX 177. The pin placement is most likely totally different then for the one in a 2006/7 4runner.

here is the wiring diagram from a 2003 4runner which comes with the same compass/temp dimming mirror.

according to the first pic, pin #7 is +12V and #6 is ground. but the following pic says for male connectors, pin numbering is upper right to lower left.
This mirror is totally different from the Gentex mirror I installed . First thing I need to know from you is what sort of configuration the pins are in. Take alook at mine, you will see the connector is 7 pins in a single row. Your drawing shows what seems to be a connector with two rows of pins but only shows 6 pins, not 7. If this is the case I really do not know.

Remember that the drawing says that you are looking at the connector. When you put the connector on the pins it will be the opposite from what you are looking at. So if Pin #1 is upper left when you pu it on the mirror pins it will be connecting to #1 pin on the mirror which will be opposite or upper left on the mirror.

I just bought a mirror out of a 06 4runner to put in my 07 4runner but only have the mirror, no 7-pin connector, no sensors, no wiring. according to your writeup, i will probably not have the temperature function. would i still be able to get the compass to work without the sensor wiring? i would probably only need to wire connector pins 6 and 7 since i dont have a sensor to hook up but need to confirm if pins 6-7 are the last two pins going right to left?
You are correct, you will not be able to use the TEMP function of the mirror. As for the other functions ... well you really do need that pigtail.

Ok lets address these other questions one at at a time.

"since i dont have the 7-pin connector, what type of a connector would i use and where would i get it? radio shack? "

First off you can only get the connector from either the wrecked truck you got the mirror out of or from the dealer. (yeah right good luck which means they will want you to buy the whole harness, not cost effective). No auto parts or electronics supply place will have this connector so if you are gonna use this mirror. If you bought this from a Toyota dealer then you will need to get one from the correct year/model 4runner or make individual pin connectors, which I don't even like to do. If you want to try to make indivudual connectors then you will need to fid an old wiring harness from a wrecked vehicle that will have conncetors and wires that would have the pins (female) then remove them from the wiring harness connectors, insulate each female connector pin and then figure out some method to bundle them do the don't pull out. REAL headache, so if this came out of a wrecking yard vehicle, go back to where ever you got the mirror and get the connector pigtail. If you bought this at a dealership, either get your money back or go find a wrecked 4runner with the mirror and get that pigtail! Then while you are at it find where they put the sensor (try looking either behind the left headlight or near the center of the radiator behind the grill).

"would i still be able to get the compass to work without the sensor wiring?"

Yes you can but you still need the connector pigtail to do this correctly. The compass is part of the internal circuit board of the mirror.

"i would probably only need to wire connector pins 6 and 7 since i dont have a sensor to hook up but need to confirm if pins 6-7 are the last two pins going right to left? "

Once again I would have no idea on this mirror without seeing the mirror connection pins on the mirror. You REALLY need to go get that pigtail. Can you see a pattern here? Seriously, When I retrofit an item to my 4runner I try to get everything associated with that item, I never know what I will need.

I really do hope you can get it to work. Best of luck on your retrofit. The part that is easier for you is the mounting of the mirror as it should only require you to loosen the torq set screw and mount the new mirror. Let me know what you decide to do and post your updates back to this thread. I hope this helped in some way, sorry I could not be more asisstance. If I knew where to look for any 4th gen 4runners, I would be happy to try to get you a connector and pigtail. But I have not seen any 4runners in any of the yards I visit as that is way too new. I am lucky to find an 02 when I go junk hunting.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 11-17-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Thanks for the cudos on my write up. First thing, my mirror was out of a 1999 GMC Suburban. It is a Gentex model GNTX 177. The pin placement is most likely totally different then for the one in a 2006/7 4runner.

This mirror is totally different from the Gentex mirror I installed . First thing I need to know from you is what sort of configuration the pins are in. Take alook at mine, you will see the connector is 7 pins in a single row. Your drawing shows what seems to be a connector with two rows of pins but only shows 6 pins, not 7. If this is the case I really do not know.

Remember that the drawing says that you are looking at the connector. When you put the connector on the pins it will be the opposite from what you are looking at. So if Pin #1 is upper left when you pu it on the mirror pins it will be connecting to #1 pin on the mirror which will be opposite or upper left on the mirror.

You are correct, you will not be able to use the TEMP function of the mirror. As for the other functions ... well you really do need that pigtail.

Ok lets address these other questions one at at a time.

"since i dont have the 7-pin connector, what type of a connector would i use and where would i get it? radio shack? "

First off you can only get the connector from either the wrecked truck you got the mirror out of or from the dealer. (yeah right good luck which means they will want you to buy the whole harness, not cost effective). No auto parts or electronics supply place will have this connector so if you are gonna use this mirror. If you bought this from a Toyota dealer then you will need to get one from the correct year/model 4runner or make individual pin connectors, which I don't even like to do. If you want to try to make indivudual connectors then you will need to fid an old wiring harness from a wrecked vehicle that will have conncetors and wires that would have the pins (female) then remove them from the wiring harness connectors, insulate each female connector pin and then figure out some method to bundle them do the don't pull out. REAL headache, so if this came out of a wrecking yard vehicle, go back to where ever you got the mirror and get the connector pigtail. If you bought this at a dealership, either get your money back or go find a wrecked 4runner with the mirror and get that pigtail! Then while you are at it find where they put the sensor (try looking either behind the left headlight or near the center of the radiator behind the grill).

"would i still be able to get the compass to work without the sensor wiring?"

Yes you can but you still need the connector pigtail to do this correctly. The compass is part of the internal circuit board of the mirror.

"i would probably only need to wire connector pins 6 and 7 since i dont have a sensor to hook up but need to confirm if pins 6-7 are the last two pins going right to left? "

Once again I would have no idea on this mirror without seeing the mirror connection pins on the mirror. You REALLY need to go get that pigtail. Can you see a pattern here? Seriously, When I retrofit an item to my 4runner I try to get everything associated with that item, I never know what I will need.

I really do hope you can get it to work. Best of luck on your retrofit. The part that is easier for you is the mounting of the mirror as it should only require you to loosen the torq set screw and mount the new mirror. Let me know what you decide to do and post your updates back to this thread. I hope this helped in some way, sorry I could not be more asisstance. If I knew where to look for any 4th gen 4runners, I would be happy to try to get you a connector and pigtail. But I have not seen any 4runners in any of the yards I visit as that is way too new. I am lucky to find an 02 when I go junk hunting.

actually, the mirror i have only has the compass/dimming mirror option, no temp. its actually a gentex mirror with a 7-pin connector on the back. thats the gentex model toyota used, its actually part # 00016-89931 from toyota if anyone wants to buy it directly from them, im sure it will come with the harness too. i also know this because for your mirror, the buttons are "compass" and "temp", but for the toyota mirrors, its "compass" and "mirror".

the configuration of the pins are the same as yours, the link i have to that doc shows an example of pins and how the layout should be if its a male or a female, its not the depiction of the actual mirror connector.

i dont have the connector pigtail, just the mirror and i bought it off of ebay. looking directly at the back of the mirror, since they are male pins, i should follow the applicable layout for pins in that doc. ill try to take pics of the mirror and post.

Last edited by Amir904; 11-19-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM

So does your mirror have a push button on the front? If so what does it say if anything? If it does not have the other functions and is only an auto dimming mirror with compass, there will not be the need for all the pins and the connector that came with the mirror originally would only have had the wires it needed to perform those functions.

Take a look at the back of the mirror as it should have the model number on the back housing. Take a look at the picture of the back of mine Name:  mirror11.jpg
Views: 3649
Size:  65.1 KB and you can see the model number 'GNTX-177' embossed in the housing back. Also if yours is the same model as mine or at least has the same straight 7 pin connector, the pins should be the same as on mine. You could go to almost any wrecking yard and get the plug for the mirror along with wires. Should cost you at the most $5. I would recommend getting the pigtail. It will save you soooo much headache. The color of the wires of the pigtail are not really that big a deal as long as you identify the color of the wires in the connector and then correspond those to the pins on your mirror. Some times the manufacturer will use different colors from another manufacturer to perform the same function so as long as you have the functions of each pin on the mirror then it is a snap to wire it up to your vehicle. The pin functions of the mirror should be the same I am almost certain. The 7 pins on my model mirror were:
1- Power from Ignition
2- Ground
3- Backup lamps (not used)
4- Auto dim for outside mirrors return (not used)
5- Auto dim for outside mirrors (not used)
6- (+ for temp sensor)
7- (- for temp sensor)

Pins on the mirror as you are looking at them should be right to left, the pin closest to the mount support of the mirror would be pin #7 and pin #1 would be the one closet to the outside. I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scored a mirror and temp sensor with wires for...........$5........!!!!

From a 99 Suburban. It has a fully populated connector (wires in all pins)

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Scored a mirror and temp sensor with wires for...........$5........!!!!

From a 99 Suburban. It has a fully populated connector (wires in all pins)

Thanks for the write-up.
Gr8 score! I hope the write up will be of use to your install. As the one you got is identical to mine, I would think you should have no problem following my write up, but if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email. Happy to have been a help
Old 11-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

I was an auto electrician in an earlier life, so the install won't be a problem. I grabbed the temp sensor from the core support too. Also grabbed a sensor from a Cherokee to see if it will work in my other install

Years ago I bought a "toyota" kit off ebay. It was a toyota box. wiring, instructions, etc. Had a 2 wire plug, but the mirror had the compass and the temp button too (that did not operate, cause of no wires/sensor). Instructions only showed the comp and mirror butons. I think someone had used the mirror out of the kit for a replacement on a car, and then stuck another mirror back in the box to sell it.

As a side thought, does the compass function work if the mirror is installed on a vertical windshield (FJ40)? The sensor mounts at an angle on most windshields. The FJ40 had no day/night mirror, and in my advanced age the mirror glare from HID lights really sucks. I want the autodim in it.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yoda
As a side thought, does the compass function work if the mirror is installed on a vertical windshield (FJ40)? The sensor mounts at an angle on most windshields. The FJ40 had no day/night mirror, and in my advanced age the mirror glare from HID lights really sucks. I want the autodim in it.
I don't see why it would'nt Yoda... It works on all different angles of windshield rake... as long as you mount the mirror to the "button thingy" on the glass it should work fine. heck with a little work you could route the wiring through the windshield frame and have everything working.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I'm just going to hotwire it to the fuse panel to test it. I'm not going to glue the button to the glass (new windshield) if it's not going to function correct.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Mirror

Hey Yoda, if you have the same type mirror and the pigtail for it, all you need to do is mount the mirror and wire it up for the functions. tha compass is a function of the interanl ciruit board and has nothing to do with an external sensor. The temp sensor inputs data to the mirror and will display the temp when you have the TEMP button selected. angle of the mirror mounting has nohting to do with function. If your vehicle does not have a button mount, you can do the exact same thing I did in my write up, eyeball where you think the best location for the mirror should be, check for visor clearance, mark where the button should be mounted, clean with alcohol, use the provided adhesive cleaner and mount the button. After about 12-24 hours, mount the mirror to the button. Route the wires, install the ones you need which in this case should be the power for the mirror, ground for the mirror, temp sensor + & - wires and you are set. Read through my write up and it will literally walk you right through the install. The only function I did not hook up was the wire for the auto dim defeat when you shift into reverse. If you can get to the reverse switch on the tranny you can hook that up too, I just decided after a failed attempt to hook in somewhere else to abandon the idea of having the auto defeat feature when reverse is selected. this was actually one of the easiest mods I have done. Any more questions feel free to ask, good luck! ritzy
Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
So does your mirror have a push button on the front? If so what does it say if anything? If it does not have the other functions and is only an auto dimming mirror with compass, there will not be the need for all the pins and the connector that came with the mirror originally would only have had the wires it needed to perform those functions.

Take a look at the back of the mirror as it should have the model number on the back housing. Take a look at the picture of the back of mine and you can see the model number 'GNTX-177' embossed in the housing back. Also if yours is the same model as mine or at least has the same straight 7 pin connector, the pins should be the same as on mine. You could go to almost any wrecking yard and get the plug for the mirror along with wires. Should cost you at the most $5. I would recommend getting the pigtail. It will save you soooo much headache. The color of the wires of the pigtail are not really that big a deal as long as you identify the color of the wires in the connector and then correspond those to the pins on your mirror. Some times the manufacturer will use different colors from another manufacturer to perform the same function so as long as you have the functions of each pin on the mirror then it is a snap to wire it up to your vehicle. The pin functions of the mirror should be the same I am almost certain. The 7 pins on my model mirror were:
1- Power from Ignition
2- Ground
3- Backup lamps (not used)
4- Auto dim for outside mirrors return (not used)
5- Auto dim for outside mirrors (not used)
6- (+ for temp sensor)
7- (- for temp sensor)

Pins on the mirror as you are looking at them should be right to left, the pin closest to the mount support of the mirror would be pin #7 and pin #1 would be the one closet to the outside. I hope this helps and good luck.
Ritzy,

Would this be the correct wire color for your pin harness?

1- power - yellow
2- ground - black
3- backup lamps - green
4- outside auto dim return - gray
5- outside auto dim- pink with black stripe (looks like white with black strip due to fading, but peeling back shrinkfit shows its pink)
6- temp positive -
7- temp negative -

I'm trying to install my GNTX-177 without temp option. I'm viewing my harness from the wire side, harness snap-in on top, so 1 is closest to the mirror base and 7 is farthest to outside of mirror. 6 and 7 are blank on my harness (no temp option). See my pic. Name:  caddymirrorharness.jpg
Views: 3599
Size:  21.4 KB

Last edited by wiseguymmiv; 12-03-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Smile plastic paint

From your pics it looks like my 2001 4-runner has the same interior colors. I have a mirror that needs painting like you did. Can you give me any more details on brand and color you used to paint your mirror to match your interior?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by larrykit
From your pics it looks like my 2001 4-runner has the same interior colors. I have a mirror that needs painting like you did. Can you give me any more details on brand and color you used to paint your mirror to match your interior?
Thanks for the question but it was a few years ago. What I do remember was I got it from AutoZone, it was made for auto vinyl interior and was "tan" w3hich matched the tan vinyl in my truck around the trim for the old mirror and on my field monitoring unit. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Duplicolor Vinyl and plastic paint works very well and is available in factory match colors from Napa autoparts. All you need is your interior color code which the dealer can pull from your VIN.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM

I just completed this MOD. Thank you very much for the excellent idea. So I thought I would share my experience(s) and put my "two cents" in as well.

I picked mine from a 2001 GMC sierra. I noticed there are so many different types of GM(gentek) mirriors in the junkyard. And I forgot about that On*Star thingy as well. So yeah, took a bit to find the 7 prong harness type but all good once I did find one.

Tip #1. The 2001 GMC sierra was well stripped down and the Temp Sensor was AWOL. So I walked around and found several types. I picked one from a buick. And I grabbed one from another 3/4 tonne GMC. BUT I LOST the GMC 3/4 tonne temp sensor @$#%. I tried the buick one, and yes it works but it is wayyyyy off on the temperature. So now I have to hunt for the proper one. No big deal, BC thats pretty much the easiest portion really.

Tip #2. Since I HAVE a SUNROOF (1999 LTD 4Runner) I just jacked power and ground from the harness that feeds the sunroof. WHY? Bc its right there and the sunroof only operates when the ignition is on. PERFECT!

TIP# 3. I stripped all the electrical tape off of all the wires. This allowed me to run the 2 wires remaining for the temp sensor. I did not remove the A-Post, just fished the little 2 wires along the way down towards the fuse panel and ran them out the fire wall into the engine compartment.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Congrats! It has been a few years since I did this mod so quite a few upgrades have happened and now Toyota is putting these in the 4runners! Go figure. Great tips and if you have not done some of the other mods then you could fish the sensor wires through the A pillar without pulling the pillar apart. I will be looking at putting a Field monitoring unit up for bid from my trip to New Zealand, but still researching a few things, like if I get another 3rd gen!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.