Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire Extinguisher

Yesterday I was given an old fire extinguisher by my fire chief. The stone quarry near us is replacing all the fire ex. in their trucks, so he was given them to give to whomever. I was thinking about putting in the Runner. But the thing is beat up and there is no mounting brackets. But it did get me thinking. I would like to carry one. Not so much for myself, but just incase I would see a need for one. I was wondering who has them and where/how did you mount them. I want to mount it in the back somewhere, and I know they come with holders. I am going to get an ABC one, but just wondering if anyone has them and where they mounted them. Maybe a picture or two? Thank you! :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 04:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are my two.

The first one is set up just like my Maglite on the Husky floor mat.
Both fire bottles can be taken out in a split second if needed.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Ryan you can get them cheap at any automotive store with mounting brackets
Old 08-15-2002, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

And here are my two pics...

Details on my pages...

Old 08-15-2002, 07:25 AM

Cool guys, thanks! I will have to pick one up sometime and put it somewhere! Thanks for the info. Any idea of the price on one? Just wondering. :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You can get the red one like I have up front for around $15, sometimes less.
I simply attached the mounting bracket to the Husky.

The rear one I bought back in '90 or '91 when I bought my '90 Extracab.
It's stainless steel, and back then it was about $40.
They still command a high price.

Nice thing about them though is they are recharable after you use it.
The front one it a toss it after you use it.

They now have out cool anodized red, white, blue, recharable bottles similar to the one I have in the back.
GI Joe's, and Schuck's Auto has 'em. They are over $50, but nice looking.
http://www.kragen.com/

This is the one I have in the rear.

The front one is made by Kiddee.
Corey
PS, man, I love this software here. The URL for the above fire bottle is several hundred letters long, and it takes beautifully.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Mine is a Halotron type model. Halotron is a clean agent and leaves no residue after using. It currently costs $67.40 at Fire-End Corp. . Although with Haz Mat shipping and UPS charges the cost can be over $100. It is worth the extra coin.

Coreys idea of having an additional unit up front is great b/c in an accident you may be trapped and cannot get to the cargo area.

Last edited by jalaber; 08-15-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:38 AM

Hey all--

What's the life expectancy on those smaller extinguishers? i.e., how long before it needs to be replaced or inspected when not used?
Old 08-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I'm not sure, but that old one I have in the back from '90 was just inspected last year or so when I bought the Power Tank bracket from a local shop.

He says it still had a full charge and should be good since it has a gauge on it.

I like the idea of having two bottles.
Corey
Old 08-15-2002, 11:22 AM

just a comment request. i've actually got two 5lbs bottles that i want to put in my truck. i'm looking for anyone who has connections to a fire systems shop. there are a couple locally, they just don't really have the time to help someone who only wants two brackets. if any of you can help me out...i'm looking for mounts for my Amerex A500 bottles. the mounts i'm looking for are the 818, 818S, and the 861H. if you happen to have a store local to you, and can pickup 2 of the style mounts, let me know how much i owe you. i'd GREAT appreciate it.

thanks,
Jacob
Old 08-15-2002, 02:19 PM

I think what I am going to do is run to Walmart and see what they have. I just want a small ABC one with a bracket and I think I can get one there! I will let you know. I also think that i am going to mount it to the D post in the trunk area. I think it will be out of the way, but handy! Thanks for the help everyone. :fireman:
Old 08-15-2002, 02:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A fireman should never be without his fire bottle :fireman:
Corey
Old 08-15-2002, 04:35 PM

Don't buy anything made by Kidde, it's all junk like plastic valves instead of brass and weak aluminum cylinders. Buy Amerex, they last forever. Badger is another good one. Also don't trust the built-in guages, if the extinguisher gets tipped and chemical gets into the guage it'll never move, the extinguisher could be dead and you'd never know it.

Standard maintenance procedure for dry chemical extinguishers is to visually inspect every year, empty and refill every 6, and hydrotest the cylinder every 12. Don't attempt to do any of this yourself, take it to a qualified shop. If you use it at all, it must be fully recharged. Otherwise the remaining nitrogen charge will leak out very quickly.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:25 PM

hey btown...Ive put out some median brush fires out with a few ive had in my rig.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Corey
A fireman should never be without his fire bottle :fireman:
Corey
Yeah, I know, that is why I am so ready to get one! I have been promoted to fire extinguisher man

Yeah, I have come across one or two and not had a way to put it out. Heck, I didn't even have to go to the bathroom...lol... But that is why I want one!

:fireman:
Old 08-16-2002, 05:47 PM

Well, I went out and bought one today. I got a cheap on, disposable kind. I figure for $8 at Walmart, I can get another one. It is designed for the auto application. The main difference is the size and the holder for it. Nice and small and nice and sturdy. It is a BC extinguisher, which is the one downfall that I had with getting it. B means you can put out flammable liquids and C means charged electrical equipment. I really would have wanted it to be A also (which is common combustibles) like wood, paper, etc. But I decided go for it. I just also put the other one that my chief gave me (ABC) in the box and put it in the trunk as well. So I mounted this thing today. I will have to get a picture, but I mounted it right above the rear wheel well on the driver's side. That was a pain. What I had to do was get behind that whole panel. I did this by ripping it apart and just getting it so I could fit my hand back there. I then lined it up as I wanted it, marked the holes and drilled. I also figured that the weight of the bottle would not hold up well with small holes, bolts and washers. So I went and got a metal plate and put it behind the panel to support the bottle. This was a pain, but I did it! Very cool. It is up now, and now I am ready (not that I am looking for trouble). I have one BC bottle and one ABC. Very cool. I feel much better knowing I have this and the weather being so dry and all. Very cool. Thanks to everyone that helped me and made some recommendations! Very good and thank you! :fireman:
Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this thread is about 7 months old. I wondered if there is any new info regarding fire extinguishers. Should I go with ABC in my Runner? Corey had mentioned anodized ones - I like the idea of that - where can I find them?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
Well this thread is about 7 months old. I wondered if there is any new info regarding fire extinguishers. Should I go with ABC in my Runner? Corey had mentioned anodized ones - I like the idea of that - where can I find them?
I have a red one from Costco. I mounted it where the cargo cover normally goes (I didnt get one when I bought it).

More specifically, I mounted it where the cargo cover attaches (above the passenger side wheel well). It looks pretty cool. I would post a pic, but Monty appears to be done for a while. I didnt mind drilling a couple holes in that bracket, plus the extinguisher covers that plastic piece now anyway. I will post pics when Monty comes back up.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Kokkadala

Regarding inspections, a refill every six years is way insufficient. For an extinguisher that rattles around in your vehicle every day the powder gets compacted in the bottom and when you need to use it it wont work. If you turn the bottle upside down and do not hear the powder flowing like sand inside, hit the bottom of the bottle with a rubber mallet. For automotive extinguishers they should be professionally refilled every year!
Old 03-26-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this for hosting (its free):

http://upload.nomonkeyno.net

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher