Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dyno'ed the 22re!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDNT TOY
Cool will do!!!

Your HP should be higher, and trq a little lower.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks I didn't know the gear ration in the W56 (it's what's in my truck too)
Lots of interesting stuff is in the 4x4wire Toyota section.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:31 PM

General rule of thumb:
3 speed auto - 3rd is 1:1
4 speed OD auto - 3rd is 1:1
5 speed OD auto - 4th is 1:1
4 speed manual - 4th is 1:1
5 speed OD manual - 4th is 1:1
6 speed OD manual - 5th is 1:1

I'm not sure how it works with a dyno, but I would think they would want to know the gear ratio, etc. in order to be accurate. A shop that does not know how to figure out differential gear ratios would worry me.

Last edited by firemedic; 05-25-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:07 PM

On a tremec TKO the 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio. Same thing on a T5 tranny.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on a toy 4/5 speed, 4th is 1:1 and on a toy 6 speed 5th is 1:1(at least on taco 6 speeds)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

most every 4 or 5 spd 4 gear is 1.1
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 AM

Good mourning All
Well, I see we have come to the conclusion that 4th is 1:1. In most 5 speeds.
Anyone else fell the need to point that out?

I realy wanted to help/contribute to this site.
I posted the dyno #'s so others out there w/ near the same modds might have a clue as to what they might put down. (Even if it was 3rd gear)

But, All I see is bickering about gear ratio's and shop's ability. Nothing to do at all about power figures. It makes it hard to want to stick around and share my knowledge and connections.
When I posted these #'s I fully expected to get joked/flamed for the low a$$ #'s.
Which they are!!!
Not a ration of crap about gear ratio's.

I wanted to do a 3rd gear pull because of the oversized tires and the wrong gear in the rear end. Don't see much use in running 4th till red line and spining these BFG's past there safe limits(Hell 3rd went to 79mph and I never even go that fast in my truck in 5th).

I don't realy care that I did the pull on a 1.38 gear (good to know though) but, it realy seems to bother a few here.

(Except BUCK01: Thankyou for you interest in the #'s and dyno Buck01!!)

For those that would like to see product comparision's I'll post them in the future
after I get some more parts for the truck. They will most likely be done in 3rd gear as well. If it bothers you this bad just don't read/reply to my post.

C-YA!!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 AM

It does seem like a lot of loss ... the 22RE is supposed to have 116 hp at the crank, so if you have only 81 hp at the rear wheels, that is a 30% loss in power through the drivetrain. I didn't think it would be that much. I know some other people on here have had dyno runs with their trucks, but they are mostly heavily modded trucks, so it would be harder to guess the drivetrain loss.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:49 AM

!

Originally Posted by Glenn
It does seem like a lot of loss ... the 22RE is supposed to have 116 hp at the crank, so if you have only 81 hp at the rear wheels, that is a 30% loss in power through the drivetrain. I didn't think it would be that much. I know some other people on here have had dyno runs with their trucks, but they are mostly heavily modded trucks, so it would be harder to guess the drivetrain loss.
Yeah I thought it was a little low myself.
But, I figured the 228,000 miles on the drive train and motor was most of the cause for the 30% loss.
Then again Part of m didn't think it would put more than 70hp or so since I have the 32's and wrong rear end. It tows my car and trailer to the track 65-70mph in 5th w/ no issues (3700lbs)except on big hills. I credit that to the flat tq curve from 2200 to 4300 though.
I dunno!!

Plan on relocating the intake to the battery location and a header here soon.
I'll weld in a o2 bung here soon for the Wide band too that way I can play w/ the A/F ratios.
C-YA!!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 AM

Good mourning All
Well, I see we have come to the conclusion that 4th is 1:1. In most 5 speeds.
Anyone else fell the need to point that out?

I realy wanted to help/contribute to this site.
I posted the dyno #'s so others out there w/ near the same modds might have a clue as to what they might put down. (Even if it was 3rd gear)

But, All I see is bickering about gear ratio's and shop's ability. Nothing to do at all about power figures. It makes it hard to want to stick around and share my knowledge and connections.
When I posted these #'s I fully expected to get joked/flamed for the low a$$ #'s.
Which they are!!!
Not a ration of crap about gear ratio's.

I wanted to do a 3rd gear pull because of the oversized tires and the wrong gear in the rear end. Don't see much use in running 4th till red line and spining these BFG's past there safe limits(Hell 3rd went to 79mph and I never even go that fast in my truck in 5th).

I don't realy care that I did the pull on a 1.38 gear (good to know though) but, it realy seems to bother a few here.

(Except BUCK01: Thankyou for you interest in the #'s and dyno Buck01!!)

For those that would like to see product comparision's I'll post them in the future
after I get some more parts for the truck. They will most likely be done in 3rd gear as well. If it bothers you this bad just don't read/reply to my post.

C-YA!!

Alot of people change their axle gears so why do you care? are the front and rear ratios different?

I think, not sure, but I believe I read that one 6 speed manual, its 4th was 1:1 and the 5th and 6th were highway gears, but I think it was a vette. Not sure though.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dyno numbers are really hard to look at because of all kinds of differing conditions. The actual numbers aren't nearly as important as the numbers when you compare the same vehicle on the same dyno in the same conditions so you can see what your mods did. So it doesn't really matter what gears are in the rear and what gear the dyno run was done at as long as the follow up runs are done the same way. It will be interesting to see what the header does for power. My old 86 4Runner definitely picked up power with the Downey header and 2-1/2" exhaust and that was an automatic with a broken timing chain guide! Maybe you can try adding a 2-1/4" cat-back exhaust first to see if it helps, then add the header.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello All
Thought some would get a kick out of this.
Last night after we got the software installed we made a couple fun runs.

93 pickup 22re 4x4 w/ Manual tranny.

81.02 hp at 5000rpm's
104.11 tq at 3000 rpm's

Tq jumped to 100 ft/lbs at 2200 rpms and stayed there only going up a little at the 3000 mark all the way to 4300 rpms (30-63 mph) where it slowly slid off while the hp came up.

Modds to the truck for power/loss of power are:
15x10 rims w/ 32x11.50 BFG A/T's(wrong gears in rear?)
Flex-a-lite fan conversion
2.25 crimp bend exhaust w/ glass pack and high flow cat
K&N drop in filter

Was done in 3rd gear w/ 32x11.50 R15's w/ the wrong gear in the back.
(Don't know what gears in there. Brother blew up rear before I bought it and threw in another pumpkin not knowing that it was a different gear from the front. Which = no 4x4 untill corrected)

Not to bad I guess for 228,000 miles on the motor.
I'll try to get it scanned up here if I can.
C-YA!!
Thank you for posting the results of the dyno run! I'd love to run my 3vze on a dyno to see what the tq curve looks like, but I think it will be just like the 22re's tq curve only a bit higher.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Dyno numbers are really hard to look at because of all kinds of differing conditions. The actual numbers aren't nearly as important as the numbers when you compare the same vehicle on the same dyno in the same conditions so you can see what your mods did. So it doesn't really matter what gears are in the rear and what gear the dyno run was done at as long as the follow up runs are done the same way. It will be interesting to see what the header does for power. My old 86 4Runner definitely picked up power with the Downey header and 2-1/2" exhaust and that was an automatic with a broken timing chain guide! Maybe you can try adding a 2-1/4" cat-back exhaust first to see if it helps, then add the header.
I agree!!
It's just a tool to see if you can make a gain or a loss.
I already have 2.25 crimp bend exhaust on there probbaly going to go make a manderal exhaust later.
Just having time is the probblem right now.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:06 AM

Was done in 3rd gear w/ 32x11.50 R15's w/ the wrong gear in the back.
(Don't know what gears in there. Brother blew up rear before I bought it and threw in another pumpkin not knowing that it was a different gear from the front. Which = no 4x4 untill corrected) :
Yes they are different. Much longer than they were.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Thank you for posting the results of the dyno run! I'd love to run my 3vze on a dyno to see what the tq curve looks like, but I think it will be just like the 22re's tq curve only a bit higher.
Thanks for the reply!!
It should be a good deal higher.
My freinds 90 4runner w/ the V6 leaves me at stop lights w/ not much effort and he's on 33x12.50's w/ a 2.25 exhaust.
On a bad note:
I think it was about 2 years ago we had a dyno day at another shop and a guy brought in a 98-99 4runner (auto)w/ the V6 and a good hand full of mods to it.
He was quite dissapointed when he only put 145hp to his 33" wheels and stock gears.
Don't now the tq #. Just heard the hp #'s and his reaction. (which was: How can that be. I beat civics on the road all the time... he he he!! It was funny)
Sorry got alittle off of subject.
C-YA!!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:10 AM

New #'s!!!
I put in some BRP6EY-11's instead of the BRP5ES's (NGK) plugs, cleaned the K&N drop in filter and picked up 2 more hp and 4 more ft.lbs. at the wheels but the A/F were running way lean everywhere except up around 5000 rpms were they leveled off at 14.0. (still alittle lean for safe beatings) Only probblem is I don't drive it on the street at 5000 so I'm lean all the time I drive and at WOT.

Sooo
I cracked open the MAF and losened the sprocket up 2 clicks and it got alittle better.
Making another 4hp to the wheels and another 8ft/lbs. It's still on the lean side so I am going to bump fuel pressure up 7-10 lbs and see where that get the A/F ratio too.

Total #'s for 3rd gear is 87 hp @4500 and 116tq @ 3000.
For a gain of 6 more hp and 12 more ft./lbs. at the wheels everywhere. From 2000 to 5000 rpms nothing but gain.
Not to bad for a tune up and playing w/ the MAF alittle.
Now it's time for an adj. fuel pressure regulator and safer A/F ratio's.
C-YA!!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the update!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK guys, there's a lot of good info here and I don't want to see this thread closed down or deleted. No more insults and no more egging people on. Lets keep this thread professional and on subject.

Having said that, I can see the importance of having accurate info even if it's not important to the subject. At the very least, somebody might search this thread and find an incorrect tranny ratio or something.

Carry on.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The main problem I see with adjusting the MAF is that the computer will eventually learn that it's out of place and adjust itself to bring everything back in line. So you would need to put some miles on the truck after the MAF change and then retest to make sure you don't lose the hp you just picked up.

Quick Reply: Dyno'ed the 22re!!!