Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey coils vs OME coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Then why would you say this?
Call them on the phone, you will be so mad you can spit. The complete lack or careing is unreal.

It's like Microsoft. The only game in town. Where else are you going to go?

I bought new springs made by someone else. Just like everyone else with the bent ones.

What else can you do? The shock is awsome, the springs are horried, the SAW office staff does not care and will not hlep you at all.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Call them on the phone, you will be so mad you can spit. The complete lack or careing is unreal.

I bought new springs made by someone else. Just like everyone else with the bent ones.

What else can you do? The shock is awsome, the springs are horried, the SAW office staff does not care and will not hlep you at all.
Ok, so are we done with this little quarrel? Cuz obviously I was only stating my opinion on the subject, and be as it may I don't know much about the subject, or have a lot of experience with it, I do read a lot about it. I guess you took it as me stating the facts and telling the guy what to get when I was only giving him options. Cuz I did not once say anything bad about any company
Old 10-17-2003, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Actually, its not the only game in town. Downey has an adjustable coilover, as well as a company named DR (D--- Racing I'm not really sure of the first name of the company. You can get them from one of the vendor's in the vendor's section)

Also by saying SAW=STAY away, it does imply that you should not get them. However most of the people here are running them, and like them. Well, SEEM to like them.

Steve have you ever tried the DR's? or the Downeys? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

either way, downey, Saw, or whatever coilover you may choose, when it comes down to it, for HARDCORE wheeling, IFS sucks. (not that I have a SFA or anything, but hopefully soon...)
Old 10-17-2003, 07:59 AM

BTW Aparrish15, I have the OME front and rear lift. I like it. The rear has not sagged, but under the weight of my TJM, and my winch, the front has sagged like a 90 year olds boobs.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Ok, so are we done with this little quarrel?
I still love you Robbie. I'll even take you wheeling.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: wooow

Baaaa Baaaa Baaaa

The truth is that the Downey coils are excellent coils for people that have or plan on keeping the stock rear bumper. You can put the OME FIRM shocks with them. Work Great. The OME 890 springs are a complete waste and the 891's are prefect just as sold by ARB for people with an extra 300 pounds at all times
have you ever had OME890s?

why are they a total waste?

im not denying that downeys are great coils and they have been a proven design for many Toyota vehicles, but OMEs offer various coil lengths and spring rates so theres more options for people trying to get the amount of lift and "stiffness" they want from their rear axle. also, they are easier to purchase and when ordering coils and shocks together, this saves on shipping prices.

i think youre too anal to be in this "competition" as you once referred to this as. no one is building their rig to drive out to AZ and give you a taste of your own medicine, most want a good looking and functioning rig that performs to their on and off-road needs.

some people are happy with simplicity and function, and they to have the right to voice their opinion.

:pat: :pat:

i need a

couple for you too steven
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

aw come on, i want to hear downey/bilsteins in the rear are the best cause that's what i have. i do realize now the rear flex could be better, and wonder if i really do need to worry if i removed the rear limiting straps. how much more travel would i have if i went with an ome setup?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calrockx
how much more travel would i have if i went with an ome setup?
doubt anyone has gone from Downey/Bilstein to OME/OME without adding a rear bumper and/or a rear spacer.

so i guess techincally no one is allowed to answer this.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:37 AM

so what's an ideal setup for the rear WITH a tire carrier?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
so what's an ideal setup for the rear WITH a tire carrier?
OME 891 with a 1" or 1.5" spacer. N86 FIRM shocks.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: wooow

Originally posted by RTdawgs
i think youre too anal
Probably.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

aw come on, i want to hear downey/bilsteins in the rear are the best cause that's what i have. i do realize now the rear flex could be better, and wonder if i really do need to worry if i removed the rear limiting straps. how much more travel would i have if i went with an ome setup?
If you want more travel all you need to do is get 1" longer straps and OME N86 FIRM shocks. They work really well with the Downey springs.

Basically they are the best length. That's really there only claim to fame.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WEB WHEELERS !!!

I still love you Robbie. I'll even take you wheeling.

lol thanks steve. I'll have to show you much my 4Runner transformed since you've last seen it
Old 10-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

doubt anyone has gone from Downey/Bilstein to OME/OME without adding a rear bumper and/or a rear spacer.

When the bumper was being powder coated I drove around with 891's and N86's and No rear bumper.

It was quite a bit stiffer, added the bumper and it was nice and soft again. Hard to believe I'm calling the 891's soft, but on my truck they are.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 10-17-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

If you want more travel all you need to do is get 1" longer straps and OME N86 FIRM shocks. They work really well with the Downey springs.

Basically they are the best length. That's really there only claim to fame.
hm, something to consider. any suggestions on where to get them limiting straps? what if i just went with the new straps for now...
Old 10-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

hm, something to consider. any suggestions on where to get them limiting straps? what if i just went with the new straps for now...
Shocks and straps have to match, they work as a team.

I would get them from MasterCraft. I wish I did.

http://www.mastercraftseats.com/products.html

I tested out a spacer that moved the Bilstein down at the top mount and accived the same results as the N86 but I felt the shaft could break. Since it was not mouinted in the original spot.

Then along came the heavy bumper and never pursued it.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

I put on the OME/OME rear before I drove out to CO for CO4RJ, prior to the custom bumper installation. I did this because I had the Rockware bumper waiting for me. The drive to CO was fine (~1300 miles). Stiffer than the Downey/Bilstein combo, but fine. Once I had the bumper put on the rear softened up quite a bit and the amount of lift decreased (I am now sitting at 2.5" in the rear). If I did not get the custom bumper/tire carrier, I would have stayed, and been quite happy with the Downey/Bilstein combo.

INsr5runner: DR=Donahoe Racing. The Tacoma guys were talking alot about these on the TTORA National board. I have not heard too much lately.

Last edited by Bighead; 10-18-2003 at 04:37 AM.