Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does size matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The size difference between the two filters isn't all that great. I would be worried about fill-time during startup though. As far as drain-back valves go, most are garbage (including Toyota's). All filters will drain back, it is just a matter of time. I've seen the some of the Toyota filters drain overnight whereas others may take a week. FWIW, I currently run a pair of NAPA 1773 filters. These are about two inches longer than the 1516 and larger in diameter. They were originally for Ford heavy trucks and hold more than three quarts of oil by themselves. They require a remote mount setup to use and must be mounted upright so they stay full while the truck is shut down. My personal opinion is that larger/more filters are only marginally better for filtration (I don't alter the oil change frequency with them) but add oil capacity which aids in cooling.

Last edited by toy283; 02-24-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the same filter apply to the 3.slow? Also toyota made the bigger filters for the longest time, the landcruiser filter was about 1" longer, but alas no more landcruiser filters.....
Old 02-24-2004, 09:19 PM

You should try putting a V8 Toyota Tundra filter on it. Same threads and width, but about an inch or so longer. I have never tryed it but I'm sure it will fit.

Mike.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

With my Eclipse it used a smaller filter than the '90-'91 DSMs so I used the earlier,bigger (by alot) filter and with the Puralator PureOne it did have more filter material;my friend cut one up to see.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

whenever i change my oil i always prime the filter before putting it on, so i wont have any starvation problems whan i start it, i have a 2.7, i dont know what direction the filter mounts on the 3.4, so this may not apply to it. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top because i'm about to change my oil and switch over to some synthetic. I am interested in this oversize filter, the logic of the more filter area sounds good to me. But my '03 Tacoma is completely stock, and I want to know if I am going to even be able to fit the oversize filter in there. Anyone done this lately with stock vehicle body that can say how it was? This thread seems to suggest that it doesn't fit. Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind about that link, I guess it says that the Amsoil SDF34 WILL fit w/o relocation kit. But can anyone else chime in?

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 03-18-2004 at 07:20 AM. Reason: read closer
Old 03-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

It fits just fine It's a bit more work on top of the contortions that you have to already pull to change the filter on a stock V6, but I put one on my wife's completely stock '02
Old 03-18-2004, 03:16 PM

Update for anyone who wants to put a LC filter on a 2nd gen... don't waste the time, won't fit, there is a bracket above the oil filter that will not allow for much more length than the standard filter (boy am I glad I bought both!!) Anyways, that was my experience with that.......
Old 05-28-2004, 11:02 AM

This little tale may just muddy the waters, But ...Shortly after I bought my 98 4Runner I went to change my oil and after (always after) I dropped the oil out I found that I didn't have a filter. Being a Sautrday evening, I was SOL for my stealer. So my Dad says his filters (Lexus LS400) look the same. So he runs one over to me. It turns out that it's an inch longer and is made in Japan, but otherwise it looks identical. On Monday I checked with the Toyota techies and they assured me that this would be no problem, and that, in fact, the Japanese (or Asian) Toyota filters are far superior; better filtration, more filtration, and less resistance. So I left it on and next time I changed oil I cut the standard one and the Lexus one open. WHAT A FUNKY FILTER!!! I've never seen anything like it. When you cut it open it looks like an orange cut in half, with 6 segments. They cost about a third more, but I've had my oil sampled after 6000 kms (a little under 4000 miles) and our lab (I work at a Caterpillar dealership and our lab test ALL kinds of fluids, not just DEO) said that the dirt (and other contaminants) level of the oil was similar to oil with just a few hundred kms on it. I use Mobil 1 0/30 year round so I assumed that that might have something to do with it, but a lot (30-40 %) of our customers are using synthetics these days, but they still said my oil was very clean. The latest and greatest part # for this filter here in Canada is 90915-YZZB5. Good luck.

Last edited by redtree; 05-28-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

redtree, that's the filter most Toyota racers use on the IS300 with the 2JZ-GE engine. I saw an analysis of it cut open and media unrolled. There's substantially more synthetic media (not paper) with greater surface area exposed to circulating oil.

I use the "ziplock" method when changing filters to avoid slop. Slip a sandwich-sized ziplock on the filter over the flange after loosening slightly. Leakage will go into the bag, not all over your hands/arms or the vehicle. Careful if the oil is really hot. Best to shutdown to let drain and cool for a half-hour before changing on a hot engine. It'll take a minute to drain, zip the bag closed with the filter inside and dispose. Easy and no cleanup or storage of tools needed.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

here is a goofy little tip i learned about oil filters... not sure if they are oriented the same way on your trucks or not.... with the 4 cyl toyota camrys they have the filter located just below the exhuast manifold in front... well oil drips down when you change the filter... if you poke the top of the filter with an awl or something it wont leak, and then when you go to drain out the oil, all of it drains out of the filter..... then when you go to remove the filter, it doesnt gush oil all over the rest of the engine bay....
Old 01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Nic

I have the 2.7L and I always fill the new filter with oil before it goes on, but I think perhaps the V-6s are not orientated in a thread side up position.(?)

On the drainback valve subject, the filter in my car is thread side down and sits at a 45 degree angle. Every time I change my oil, my filter is bone dry when I remove it. It always drains out unless I have driven within about an hour of changing the oil, and then I can get spillage. Just for that reason, I have always been apprehensive of the anti-drainback valves. I've always used Toyota OEM filters too.

Last edited by Nic; 01-18-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nic
I have the 2.7L and I always fill the new filter with oil before it goes on, but I think perhaps the V-6s are not orientated in a thread side up position.(?)

On the drainback valve subject, the filter in my car is thread side down and sits at a 45 degree angle. Every time I change my oil, my filter is bone dry when I remove it. It always drains out unless I have driven within about an hour of changing the oil, and then I can get spillage. Just for that reason, I have always been apprehensive of the anti-drainback valves. I've always used Toyota OEM filters too.
The V6 filters are somewhat upside down so this wont work for us.