Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dishwashing liquid in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put in one drop of normal dishwashing liquid in my radiotor today; there was no big change in coolant temperature, nor was there suds in my resevoir bottle.

Maybe i didn't put enough dishwasher liquid in the radiator
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by fo_runner
I just put in one drop of normal dishwashing liquid in my radiotor today; there was no big change in coolant temperature, nor was there suds in my resevoir bottle.

honestly, i don't think 1 drop is going to be enough. plus, i don't think you'll notice anything by looking at the gauge. i think they're mostly glorified idiot lights that point to either cold, normal, or hot. (there may be a little more precision than that, but overall the gauge really doesn't tell you anything useful).

mike
Old 07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

jsut spend $5 and get the water wetter... its made by redline and is pink in color, it is compatible with all coolant brands
Old 07-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it safe to put in a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the coolant of my 3.0?

I heard sometimes the soap can cause suds bevcause of the water-pump, is this true?

My 3.0 is always getting hot after driving around for a few mintues.
Sounds like a cooling system check-up is in order instead of washing the dishes.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:32 PM

DAMN Water Wetter is $13 CDN down here. Thats why i want the best bang for the buck, cheap and easy is what i specialize in
Old 07-01-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimabena74
well he somewhat has a right idea... dont think i would do that, i would jsut get the water wetter.... dangit, i forget all the actual words... but soap in water makes water slicker... it pentrates the surface tension and breaks it up.... its a hard process to explain, and i forget most of it... but its the same idea as foam in firefighting situations.... foam can blanket and smoother flames, and since it is slicker than water without the surface tension it allows it to penetrate the problem a lot more readliy, and in a fire, this helps especially with petroleum based fires as it gets down to the root so to speak
Soap is an aliaphatic surfactant.

that is it has both polar (hydrophilic) and non polar (hydrophobic) ends, and serves to lower the overall surface tension of water. The surfactant idea is what water wetter is - lowers the surface tension of the water allowing it to break up more easily.

I think you should put a half gallon of it in and let us know what happens! LOL JOKING - dontdo that...lol

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-01-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
did you know that spraying insects with soapy water is a cheap alternative to bug spray? For the same reason that the soap makes the water "wetter", it kills the bugs, as insects (at least most) breathe through their skin. It dilutes the water, and they drown... Try it, it works.
Pretty good! Yes, soap breaks down the surface tension by breaking the hydrogen bonds formed between each water molecule and 4 neighboring water molecules.

Insects don't breathe through their skin, they breathe through little openings on the abdomen called spiracles which lead to tracheal tubes, which carry O2 to the rest of the body. The soap decreases the surface tension of the water so the water can coat the spiracles and smother the insect or in extreme cases flow into the spiracles and tracheal tubes, drowning the insect. Better than poison. Just use SOAP not DETERGENT. Ivory works good. And you don't have to worry about your kids or dogs getting into it.

Haven't used Redline's Water Wetter, but used CRC's Antifreeze Booster. Same principal, they decrease the hydrogen bonding in the water to allow the coolant to completely contact the engine and increase the heat fow from the engine to the coolant. The '95 had it in it for about 3-4 years and never ran hot with a stock fan and cooling system.

Developed a leak before a trip into the desert this year. Fixed it and put water + prestone water pump lubricant into it (I was in a hurry). We've had 19 days of 100+ and it still keeps its cool.

So does this stuff work?

But it's cheap insurance. And it'll go back in with some Toyota Red Coolant.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you are overheating then it sounds like a cooling system flush and thermostat change is in order.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:05 AM

Might as well just urinate into the radiator. Check the cooling system out and have a looksie at your thermostat.

Oh and yup...add antifreeze to make at least a 50/50 mix (with the water of course)

Last edited by ctcost; 07-02-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
well he somewhat has a right idea... dont think i would do that, i would jsut get the water wetter.... dangit, i forget all the actual words... but soap in water makes water slicker... it pentrates the surface tension
Was surfactant the word you were looking for?
surface active reagent
Old 07-02-2005, 01:43 PM

?????

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure that one or more of you will in answer to this question. By putting an additive into the radiator such as Redline Water Wetter, CRC's Antifreeze Booster or even Dish Soap , if it lowers the temperature of the coolant, would'nt this also in turn cause the sensors to detect a lower temperature and make the engine run a little richer.?????
Old 07-02-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Busjack
if it lowers the temperature of the coolant, would'nt this also in turn cause the sensors to detect a lower temperature and make the engine run a little richer.?????
well only if the temperature of the coolant gets too low. the richness of the mixture is not a continuous function of temperature. there's a sensor that looks for a certain temperature (i want to say 120F, but i'm not sure) if it's below that temperature it runs rich, above that temperature it runs normal. i doubt anything you add to the coolant will change the temperature that much.

in fact, now that i think more about it, if you had some magic stuff you could add to the coolant (like the surfactant that every one it talking about - i'm still not convinced that it works, but i'm starting to lean that way) then what you're doing is making the coolant more efficient at picking up heat from the engine. so that means that the coolant temperature would even be higher because it's sucking more heat out of the engine.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ctcost
Might as well just urinate into the radiator. Check the cooling system out and have a looksie at your thermostat.

Oh and yup...add antifreeze to make at least a 50/50 mix (with the water of course)
Why? Antifreeze is a worst heat conductor than water. If you live in a place that never sees freezing temperatures, you could go as low as 15%/85% (more water) with some Water Wetter int here.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:37 PM

SOMEONE KICK ME IN THE BALLS!!

Amphipathic surfactant!! is what I meant to say!
The following users liked this post:
SCninja (06-18-2021)
Old 07-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Why? Antifreeze is a worst heat conductor than water. If you live in a place that never sees freezing temperatures, you could go as low as 15%/85% (more water) with some Water Wetter int here.
Placing a solute in the solvent not only lowers the freezing point, but also raises the boiling point as well. I do a 50 50 mix here in FL with absolutely no issues.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Busjack
Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure that one or more of you will in answer to this question. By putting an additive into the radiator such as Redline Water Wetter, CRC's Antifreeze Booster or even Dish Soap , if it lowers the temperature of the coolant, would'nt this also in turn cause the sensors to detect a lower temperature and make the engine run a little richer.?????
No.

the temperature of your coolant is directly controlled by the thermostat. 3vze's have a 195*F thermostat. Below this temp, the thermostat stays closed forcing the engine to heat up. Once the coolant in the engine (and thermostat) hit 195*F, the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to leave the engine and enter the radiator and allows the water pump to pull more fresh cool coolant in. This serves to maintain the engine at 195*F. Putting in a 200*F thermostat would keep the engine at 200*F, and conversely a 165*F thermostat woudl keep it operating at 165.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
SOMEONE KICK ME IN THE BALLS!!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM

spend the $ 2.95 @ PepBoys for the WaterWetter.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:14 PM

I hear "minute rice" works pretty good too...
Old 06-18-2021, 09:38 PM

16 years later....

So.....?​​