Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this bolt break BEFORE a timing belt change?? just curious
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
does this bolt break BEFORE a timing belt change?? just curious
The problem seems to be they loosen up, not break. And yes, I was told that the early 5ZVFEs came from the factory with the bolt under torqued and Toyota had some problems with them loosening up so they went to a higher torque spec on them. That's why a lot of places have the wrong (old) torque spec.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 AM

whats the name of this bolt again?? lol
Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Crankshaft pulley bolt
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shouldnt she just look at her reciept and see if she was charged for a crank pulley bolt...and if she wasnt she can show the FSM and prove their fault for not replacing it???
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1styota4X4
shouldnt she just look at her reciept and see if she was charged for a crank pulley bolt...and if she wasnt she can show the FSM and prove their fault for not replacing it???
Nope, doesn't work like that since the failure is a result of the torque on the bolt not the bolt itself. Most of the dealer mechanics never replace the bolt and it's not an issue.....unless you don't torque it properly. So in order to win in court, you'd need to prove this first and that is very hard to do after the fact.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

does everybody realize the original poster never came back? This thread is almost a year old...........
Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM

there have been alot of post to this one LOL. Anyways--from a legal perspective there was an inherent flaw with there work and they are responsible for the damages (i.e. if there is an inherent flaw in a design, that manufacturer is resposible for the faulty design). Doesnt matter the time line given.--Not to mention toyotas are there speciality!!!

One other VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is that just because their contract says they are not responsible for the damages that is not always true. It is not Stealership Law but the Peoples law. Example is if you have a car at a shop of high crime area--you as the shop owner have a resonable responsibility to protect the customer cars even though your sign says "WE ARE NOT RESPOSIBLE....."

Strongly suggest that you state your case to the dealer (research a couple other cases in your favor), research the law pertaining to your case (Federal Law it is under) and tell them to right there wrong (indemnify you (spelling ). If not then take them to small claims, file a complaint with the BBB and Corporate--they should also get you a car for the short term--that is part of making you "whole again". Go to a college and search using Nexus Lexus (ithink that is what it is called) or google the hell out of it.

Legally i think you have a great case--one that has been fought before (can anyone say FORD). Good luck and it is easier to due than you think.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM

OK i guess i should have read that last post---TOOO FUNNNY--But i guess now we know and knowing is half the Battle--(Music) G.I. J-O-E---
Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
does everybody realize the original poster never came back? This thread is almost a year old...........
......and that she only had one post.

I think it's just fun to philosophize and hypothesize .
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 PM

The Mechanic torqued my Crank bolt to 187 lbs. He says it is okay now. I saw the dang thing and the key is worn off of the front of the shaft. I put it back on lined the pulley up with the Timing gear key nub that is exposed and tightened it down as much as I could with out the special SST that you're supposed to have. I tried to torque it myself but couldn't stop the pully from turning. I did that to get it to the shop since I have no special service tool. Has anyone had any GOOD luck by doing this. Where can you get that freaking SST. I don't even trust these guys anymore and want to work on it myself. I found out that they did the timing belt 4 months ago when they did my head gaskets but won't fess up to the bolt coming out as their fault.

Last edited by Uncle Vido; 04-03-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Vido
The Mechanic torqued my Crank bolt to 187 lbs. He says it is okay now. I saw the dang thing and the key is worn off of the front of the shaft. I put it back on lined the pulley up with the Timing gear key nub that is exposed and tightened it down as much as I could with out the special SST that you're supposed to have. I tried to torque it myself but couldn't stop the pully from turning. I did that to get it to the shop since I have no special service tool. Has anyone had any GOOD luck by doing this. Where can you get that freaking SST. I don't even trust these guys anymore and want to work on it myself. I found out that they did the timing belt 4 months ago when they did my head gaskets but won't fess up to the bolt coming out as their fault.
That's the old spec, the new spec for the 5VZFE is 217 ft-lbs. Here's the SST I made to do this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&postcount=102
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

See step # 13 here:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...imbel/inst.pdf
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Vido
The Mechanic torqued my Crank bolt to 187 lbs. He says it is okay now.
He's dead wrong!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 AM

Uncle vido - I like the tool mt goat made ....here is the six dollar version made with sleeves and bolts through the 2x4. You may only get two or three uses out of this tool and will need to use the other half of the 2x4 next time. It worked just fine and cranked to 217 ...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Uncle vido - I like the tool mt goat made ....here is the six dollar version made with sleeves and bolts through the 2x4. You may only get two or three uses out of this tool and will need to use the other half of the 2x4 next time. It worked just fine and cranked to 217 ...
Hey there ya go BTW I found my tool also works on holding the harmonic balancer on a 95 Taurus.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM

Since this seems to be a problem--would it be wrong to add a drop or two of lock-tight? to get it off all you have to do is hit it with the Impact and bada bing--just a thought--but because of the problem i would think that would be a good idea??
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hross14
Since this seems to be a problem--would it be wrong to add a drop or two of lock-tight? to get it off all you have to do is hit it with the Impact and bada bing--just a thought--but because of the problem i would think that would be a good idea??
Yeah I know Mike @ ORS recommends it. I put some on my Taurus crank bolt last month.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hross14
It certainly won't hurt anything to do so.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Cool My Mechanic is eating the cost.

My Mechanic called me today and said that he is eating the cost of replacing everything. At least 75% of it. I brought up the Torque spec. He said in the manual it says 181 lbs. My mistake in thinking he torqued it to 187. He said that he doesn't know about that torque spec. It's a 95 3vze, does that make a difference? I also informed him of Yotatech. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow. I am still going to check it ALL out and make one of those specially made SST tools like gpcollen1 made. I don't have access to the Welder Like I would love to have. This is my third Toyota. Rolled the first one on black ice and it kept driving after I had it towed up from the trees I rolled it in Yosemite. The next one Just did exactly what I wanted in the dirt. This one is the first 4runner I have tried. I will probably be buried with it. LOL
Any way I will let you know of the saga. I am really glad there are people out there that are pro Toyota like myself. I just wish I had a garage.
You guys Rock. Ho Ha! 74th rangers 173rd Airborne All the Way.
Thanks

Last edited by Uncle Vido; 04-04-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft bolt felt out -- bye bye crankshaft