Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crankshaft bolt felt out -- bye bye crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by manofsteele2003
I've never heard of replacing the crack bolt when doing a timing belt. Can't you just put some thread locker on it and torque it to specs?
Maybe that's the problem, it is in the FSM but does anybody do it? The engineers write specs for a reason, then mechanics think they know better and don't follow the spec or don't bother to read the spec.

I agree too, Toyota shares some responsiblty for the 2 different torque specs, obvously one of them is wrong yet the wrong spec was still being published in some places for years.

I think Toyota should take care of this poor girl, here she was having the dealer do all of the work on her truck and throught no fault of her own she's out a motor.

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-29-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:37 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Phx_Chick57
Hi fellas, I'm new to this forum but I've been reading some threads about crankshaft bolts and wonder if you could help a girl out

My vehicle is a 98 4runner SR5 4WD, V6 engine, 95,000 miles.

This just happened to me on the way home from work -- battery light goes on, steering gets sluggish/no steering, car dies on off-ramp of freeway. I pop the hood and see my belts completely off.

Had it towed to the dealer (Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria, AZ) , they call me up and tell me that the bolt that holds the pulley onto the crankshaft backed out and "tore up" the crankshaft. Basically it's trashed (I'm taking their word for it since I'm not very mechanically inclined )

They're telling me that I have several options:
a) replace crankshaft, which will cost me $4k for parts & labor.
b) get a used engine, which will cost me $4k for parts & labor.
(used engine they say has 70K miles on it -- this option seems pointless since I've got 95K on my existing dead one. Also only 1 year warranty)

c) get a remanufactured engine, which will cost me $5000 parts & labor.

If I had to choose, I'd probably lean toward "C" -- getting the remanufactured (which has 0 miles on it.)

I had my timing belt replaced at 65K miles, from this very same dealer. I've also had it completely dealer serviced at this dealer. From what I've been reading in the forums, the crankshaft bolt can come out if improperly installed/torqued. However, that was 30K miles ago.... wouldn't I have had problems much sooner?

Should I hold them responsible, what are my chances of getting them to give me a break, and do those prices seem reasonable?

Thanks guys...

Phx_Chick57
I'm in Chandler myself....so Larry Miller did that?.....I am in perfect agreement with the others.....You had the work done earlier at the dealership.....and the dealership appreciates your business. By taking your business to the dealership it they usually lok favorably when it comes time to do warrenty work. This is not warrenty work but it's a gold star in your favor.
But it's very obvious to me they caused that crankshaft issue. I think I would tell them you won't make a big stink about this "embarrassing mistake" of theirs if they REPLACE THE WHOLE ENGINE. As a last recourse, I would take it up higher and they would make the dealership take care of you once they found out it was their fingers on that bolt last time.
It's seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Here's the key point.....it's one thing if you had another independent shop do the timing belt.....in that case, even if it was under warrenty, Toyota might be able to make you pay for an engine.
BUT, because you had Toyota do it, now it is THEIR fault for this failure. Even if it's NOT under warrenty, they are obligated to make it right. How embarrassing this could be to that dealership.

edit-----phxchick57-----you being a customer that has had ALL your servicework done at that dealership(Toyota thanks you for your loyalty) it just seems like they should bend over backwards to fix this. This is worthy of a BBB submission if they don't work with you.
This should cost you ZERO. Don't let them try to admit 75% financial responsibility and you 25%.....this is their fault. Keep us updated.

Last edited by ZUK; 06-29-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The damage to the crank nose is not that bad at all.

Option D:

Get a new crank pulley. Clean up the crank nose and install the new pulley. Torque to the proper spec and get on with life.

Yours looks like the pulley came all the way off pretty soon after it came loose. There is very little damage to the crank. I think you will be fine by installing a new pulley after resetting the timing belt.

Gadget
Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 AM

I agree, just put it back together witha new pully, key and bolt and lots o thread locker, you got nothing to lose If it comes off again except another tow bill.

And if you do a used engine, have them compression checked BEFORE its installed.

you should be able to sell enough parts & acc off the old engine to pay for the labor to do the swap, if you have good heads, & such.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Am I missing something? How do you guys know how bad the damage is to her crank? It would be a good option though.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gadget -- I don't think that is a photo of her engine.

That aside, I'd do what the others have recommended and do everything you can to get them to take some responsibility for repair or replacement. You would have a very difficult time in small claims court, but keep it open as an option.

If there is nothing they will do for you -- get out of there as quickly as possible. I bought my '97 4Runner from them but I've been less than impressed with their service work over the past couple of years. I haven't had much done with them but these places earn the name "stealership" for a reason. $5000 to replace your engine is ridiculous. If you have to pay out of pocket find a good low mileage engine, an engine that has been remanufactured (not "rebuilt"), or a new engine from the factory (I think you can still get new 5vze's). Then discuss with others on this board the best place in PHX to get it done. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone that I can recommend.

Best of luck.

Ed
Old 07-01-2006, 10:42 AM

We're only going by what Phx Chick said in her post: "crank was tore up" according to the dealer, who probably caused it anyway, and they wanted to replace the crank/engine at $4k for the privliage.

This doesn't seem like a bad deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOYOTA-V6-Motor-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by SpikeStrip; 07-01-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SpikeStrip
We're only going by what Phx Chick said in her post: "crank was tore up" according to the dealer, who probably caused it anyway, and they wanted to replace the crank/engine at $4k for the privliage.

This doesn't seem like a bad deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOYOTA-V6-Motor-...QQcmdZViewItem
Yeah it would be nice to see some pics of it. Wonder if she is going to come back and read all this.

That ebay seller doesn't have real good feedback, but he makes it sound good for sure.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah it would be nice to see some pics of it. Wonder if she is going to come back and read all this.

That ebay seller doesn't have real good feedback, but he makes it sound good for sure.
Yeah, after looking more closely at his feedback, I'd want to the the EXACT engine I was getting before giving him a nickle... In fact, I'd wanna pick up at his door and and see if I could get them to bench test it in front of me... But then the oil in it would make it sooooo much heavier to lift!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:26 PM

How about we get a picture of the damage to the refernced engine so I won't be so easily confused??

Once we know the exact damage in question we all can make a more informed recommendation.

Gadget
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also looks like PHX_chick might be a one time poster too.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Also looks like PHX_chick might be a one time poster too.
That's alright, it will be good for the archives anyway.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's alright, it will be good for the archives anyway.
Totally agree.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Any update on this?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM

Cool My Bolt came out at KFC

Oh what fun! Coming back from Calico Mtns. Check Engine light goes on. It seems like it is heating up a bit. I stopped and looked at everything. Everything looked okay. I hi tailed it back home. The light came back on after I had reset it. Now I was really wanting to get home. I stopped again to look see. Nothing except the Crank shaft Pulley was slightly off on one side. I tried to move it and it wouldn't budge. Homeward bound! okay we made it back. I pulled into KFC to get dinner and SQEEEEEEEK Batwing! noise! Big time! I look under the hood and the belts are still on the Battery comes on. I better get home NOW! I did and Power steering went out as I stopped and parked it. Looked under the hood and I felt the bolt gone and the pully I moved off of the shaft. Next Day I found the bolt in the splash guard along with parts of my Fan. I lined up the pulley and tightened the Bolt down. Took it to the Mechanic and he inspected and torqued it down. Says its no problem. We'll See! From now on I will Always look at that area before and after I go any where. Damn lucky it didn't happen in the hills of Calico. I will let you all know how it works.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

What did he torque it to?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Cant prove how it happened so fix it and move on.All cars break down after time.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1toylet
Cant prove how it happened so fix it and move on.All cars break down after time.

Actually I meant what is it torqued to now after putting it back on. Many mechanics don't have the updated torque spec on this bolt, so its a good idea to ask your mechanic what torque spec he has to be sure its correct.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Methinks that they thought MTL's pic was of phx chick's crank.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM

As has been noted, take it to them in a very nice and professional manner. If that does not work, sue them for whatever the limit is in small claims court based on their estimates - here in CT it is like 4 or 5k. This way, you incur no lawyer fees. Then put the evidence together and take it from there.

In the meanwhile, you will have to bite the bullet and finda ride...

Quick Reply: Crankshaft bolt felt out -- bye bye crankshaft