Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile does region matter

Hi,

I have just started reading these posts about the radiator failures in 3rd Gen. 4Runners. I have a 97 4x4 Limited with 197k+ on it. I have never had any problems but I just added this to my preventive maintenance list (get my tax refund next week).

I was wondering if location matters? For instance Ohio vs. San Diego where I currently live.

My truck has been in Southern California for its entire life and has NO corrosion at all as far as I can tell.

Thanks for all the posts on this issue. I had no idea about it.

Brian
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Smile

Well, everything's better in San Deigo

The photos I've seen show corrosion inside the radiator so I don't think the exterior climate is a factor. I guess somthing in the ATF or coolant casue the corrosion.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Noted.

I am going to replace mine with a Koyo asap. BTW I have always used Green Coolant. Not sure if that matters but I know there was a back and forth about it earlier.

I was also intrigued by the conversation on whether this only applies to 98' and up models. For one thing if both 98, 99 have the same factory part # as 96 and 97 models then it seems to me we are all at risk despite the year of our 3rd Gen.

Brian

974Runner 4x4 w/ e-locker
197K+ (no engine light in 5 years - GO Toyota)
S.S. 1.2 Lift; 275x70x16 BFGs
Flowmaster Exhaust w/ a Tundra Resonance Silencer (try it, it is awesome solution)
K&N Air-Intake

Electronics:
Full Alpine V-Power amp + MP3 CD Deck
Alpine components + 6x9 in rear doors
MTX Amp with dual 12s (sealed box)

UPCOMING MODs:
Replace Radiator (not really a mod)
Repaint fender flares
ARB front bumper
Update S.S. 1.2 suspension (to account for extra front end weight)
BUD Built Front Skid

Last edited by brian24; 02-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM

So badattitude, after 10 months is the transmission still kicking?

My transmission was slipping this morning, I pulled in to a gas station and popped the hood.. a finely mixed milk shake was coming out of the radiator reservoir. I had it towed to my guy, he recommends replacing the radiator, flushing fluids and hoping for the best. I'm just wondering if I save the $150 on the fluid flush and just find a new transmission.

BTW, the fluid was mostly brown/grey.. no pink at all. The dip stick and the reservoir looked the same. I'm thinking that I put at least 50 miles on it after the radiator failed. What do you guys think, is my transmission toast?

$150 to flush it may be worth the roll of the dice considering it may be a couple thousand to replace the transmission.. correct?

--
EDIT:
When I got home tonight I noticed a substantial puddle on the floor of my garage where my 4runner normally sits. Here's the interesting thing.. it looks, smells and tastes like its all transmission fluid. I can't detect any scent of coolant in it.. is there a chance that my coolant was so low that perhaps little got in to the transmission and that low coolant contributed to the failing of my radiator? It isn't frothy or pink.. just looks like old dirty transmission fluid. Perhaps my poor maintenance habits will help me dodge this bullet?

Last edited by csnoke; 07-11-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If it's not pink that sounds more like a chocolate milkshake which is also bad. I would roll the dice and try flushing the system. It's worth a shot. Even if it gives you a couple months that gives you some time to save up for another tranny.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by csnoke
So badattitude, after 10 months is the transmission still kicking?

My transmission was slipping this morning, I pulled in to a gas station and popped the hood.. a finely mixed milk shake was coming out of the radiator reservoir. I had it towed to my guy, he recommends replacing the radiator, flushing fluids and hoping for the best. I'm just wondering if I save the $150 on the fluid flush and just find a new transmission.

BTW, the fluid was mostly brown/grey.. no pink at all. The dip stick and the reservoir looked the same. I'm thinking that I put at least 50 miles on it after the radiator failed. What do you guys think, is my transmission toast?

$150 to flush it may be worth the roll of the dice considering it may be a couple thousand to replace the transmission.. correct?

--
EDIT:
When I got home tonight I noticed a substantial puddle on the floor of my garage where my 4runner normally sits. Here's the interesting thing.. it looks, smells and tastes like its all transmission fluid. I can't detect any scent of coolant in it.. is there a chance that my coolant was so low that perhaps little got in to the transmission and that low coolant contributed to the failing of my radiator? It isn't frothy or pink.. just looks like old dirty transmission fluid. Perhaps my poor maintenance habits will help me dodge this bullet?
It would be interesting if you have the mechanic save the old radiator so you could open it up and show us what you find inside
Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM

yes, my oringinal trans is still working fine 11 months and 11,000 miles later! I'm pleased. I have drian/refilled the ATF twice since January. Using Mobil 1 ATF. I still worry about the trans but it either works or it don't and right now it still works.

I think I cought mine early and stopped right then, didn't drive another mile. Plus I got a real good flush at the dealer.

x2 on inside radiator pics!

BTW, I did overheat a little last weekend. No evidence of milkshake this time. Just a temp gauge at 3/4 to the red and a radiator gurgling into the overflow res. The truck was idleing with the AC on for 15 minutes in the hot woods.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:26 PM

I just installed a Hayden #4003 trans oil cooler. Right now, it is hooked up in conjuction with the oil cooler in the radiator. So I am better off bypassing the factory cooler. Right?

Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 10gaOkie
I just installed a Hayden #4003 trans oil cooler. Right now, it is hooked up in conjuction with the oil cooler in the radiator. So I am better off bypassing the factory cooler. Right?

Chris
I did.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Already having a good radiator and a newly installed external trans oil cooler, bypassing the factory oil cooler in the radiator seems to be the sensible way to go. Why buy another radiator? I have always heard that the factory cooler is much more efficient than the after market cooler.
Is there an inline sensor for a temp gauge that can be installed? Want to make sure the new cooler is doing it's job and how well.

Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM

I don't know about the inline sensor but agree bypassing the radiator alltogether is a good idea once you have the external cooler.

PS-i've read you want the new trans cooler as close to the radiaor as possible.

Last edited by badattitude; 07-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 PM

When I mounted my Hayden cooler, I used the zip ties that came with the kit to mount it against the air cond condenser. The kit comes with four stick on spacers that are 1/8th" thick that keeps the cooler from being tight against the condenser. The zip ties go through the middle of the spacers. If I had a temp gauge, I would know if a 12v fan would be needed as well.

Chris
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM

If you want to see if the tranny cooler is working get a scanguage or something like it and check your transmission temperature. I would definitely bypass the radiator. Take a failed radiator out of the equation. Completely safe from the milkshake problem ever again!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I went to the auto parts store and found a oil temp gauge. It comes with the line and a screw in type sender on the end of it. The problem is, how to hook it up to one of the trans cooler lines. There must be a fitting for this somewhere?

Chris
Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Anybody got a link to a current go-parts ebay auction for the Koyo? I'm digging around but not seeing anything with their name, or lower prices than their website.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM

There is one for the 4runner for $111.47 now. Search Ebay...."Koyo radiator 4runner"
I dont understand why anyone would want to buy a new radiator instead of just adding a seperate cooler. Unless of course, your radiator is bad??

Chris
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM

At 150,000 miles, a new Koyo will probably last the life of the 4runner for me - it's a runabout that doesn't get much use. Easy, simple, original configuration, won't have to worry about it again.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM

I asked Blackstone Labs to analyze my ATF, I'm almost 2 years and 21,000 miles post-milkshake. The report showed zero water in the ATF. I did have very high Iron content but it is because I took the sample from the last drops of fluid during the drian after I spilled the main sample.

I'll take a better sample in 10,000 miles and test again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATF analysis.pdf (17.2 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Hey Y'all,
I got a milkshake recently but the tranny fluid stayed clean. I lost about 5-6 quarts of the strawberry on the ground.
I replaced & flushed the radiator and added the missing 5-6 quarts to the tranny.
Now the negative...The tranny shifts hard into 2nd & 3rd especially when all is warmed up and stepping on the gas a bit. It shifted smooth before and now only when all is cold.
What do ya think about he condition of the tranny?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM

When you say the tranny fluid was clean do you mean it was still pink? Or was it not foamy on the dipstick? If you lost that much transmission fluid I would bet you got water in there too. I would recommend replacing ALL of the transmission fluid, to get as much water out as you can. The symptoms you are experiencing are not encouraging.

Quick Reply: Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner