Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's why I don't buy any extra warranties, just a bunch of rip-off written in legalize.
Actually, the extended warranties would cover it. It was the 3/36 - 5/60 that would get denied.

If it was under the 3/36 you were fine. Over the 3/36, but under the 5/60 it would get denied in most cases.

The radiator would fail which is not part of the powertrain warranty. It would take out the transmission with it which was part of the powertrain, but again the cause of the failure was not covered. Seems like a way to weasel out of an expensive repair, but they're right.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

I've drove 4,500 miles since the stawberry milkshake. Today, I drained 5.5 quarts of trans fluid and replaced with Mobil 1. The current ATF was the last of the 60 quarts that I had flushed through in August. There was no obvious sign of coolant or moisture remaining in the transmission, great

However, the ATF was darker than expected for being so new. Here is a pic. The truck drove great on the old fluid and it still drives good on the new fluid...so far....

new ATF on left, ATF with 4,500 miles on it is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner-s7300305.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 AM

yup. that darker fluid is clutch particles stripped off the plates from the water encounter.

mine has it too. just hope it stops, and what is left leaves you with an operable transmission

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 12-31-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 AM

Just reading this thread....and this is what happend to my wifes 2000 3.4 4runner lastnight. She called me on the side of the road and was overheated. I towed it to my house and found the milkshake in the radiator. Is there a DIY thread or other resource on this topic? I noticed the shifting within the last 200 miles was a little harder...
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your milkshake. You have two options:

1. just replace the transmission now with a used one, ebay has a lot to choose from

2. flush the HELL out of it and cross your fingers.

I flushed mine and it's still running fine three months later....but I would not be surprised if the trans takes a crap soon. The main reason I would suggest replaceing the trans is simple piece-of-mind knowing the problem is gone.

You'll also want to flush the engine coolant a couple times to get the ATF out.

There is a lot of strawberry stories on here, most of them end with a total failed trans. Enjoy the reading....

People, get those radiators changed on your 3.4 4runners!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the reply....I am reading alot of threads on this problem. I think the tranny replacement is going happen here since there is 200k on the runner!

It must have had a slow leak for the past few hundred miles with the slipping and then starting it yesterday AM in -9 temps caused it to fail completly!!

Should I replace the raditor with a OEM or Aftermarket?

I noticed you are in Madison...I live up North in Eagle River,WI
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM

With 200K a new/used trans sounds like the right call. I really like the koyo A1998 radiator. It's a few hundred dollars cheaper than a OEM. I put the Koyo A1998 and am pleased with it. It looks just like the OEM. My dealer order the Koyo for me. They charged me $190 for the part. You can get it cheaper here:

http://www.go-part.com/9602-toyota-4...src=googlebase

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3803018...=263602_304692

the ebay link is the same store/vendor as the top link, but a cheaper price. I recommend filling with the Toyota Red coolant. Keep us informed regarding your progress...

Stay warm up der
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by badattitude

2. flush the HELL out of it and cross your fingers.

I flushed mine and it's still running fine three months later....but I would not be surprised if the trans takes a crap soon.
me too. flushed over 45 quarts with a tranny machine, changed filter, the works. runs fine 1 year later, but it is no longer my primary vehicle and
it only gets highway miles and some offroad, and I rarely stomp on it.

if it lasts it lasts, but I will just accept it if the tranny slips someday.
because I always maintained it at the dealer since 1998, I might
have more luck with it lasting than a neglected transmission
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the link... I will keep you posted.

If anyone comes up with a used tranny link let me know or a rebuilt, I will appreciate it!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Well...stuck a new Koyo Radiator(Thxs Bad for link!). Flushed the tranny with tranny machine with 30qts ATF and flushed the cooling system. Seems to shift fine and only time will tell!

My advise: change your Radiator if you have a high milage runner! $130.00 maintenance protection! Thanks guys for all the info!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Question: Is this just a problem with the 4Runner or do Tacomas also have this problem? I've looked around here some and only see 4Runners with the pink milkshake. I have both a 99 4Runner and Tacoma. The 4Runner is a manual, so no problem there, but the Tacoma is an auto with about 135K miles.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm pretty sure the Tacomas have a different radiator. So, you're safe. This is not a concern for the Tacomas
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM

Just discovered today that my 4runner had the pink milkshake with the previous owner...which he very smartly did not tell me when he was selling it to me.

Good news is: It has 3 years, and at least 30k miles on it since the milkshake....and zero issues.

I did a full service of the transmission myself after I purchased the rig (pan off, fluid flush, etc) just as preventative maintenance. I didn't know then that it had already had the milkshake. How I discovered this is another story all together, but anyway. My atf has stayed nice and red and clear for the last 15k miles......and the transmission shifts fine. Maybe it wasn't a bad milkshake, but I have hope that this transmission can last as long as the engine.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by quicksilvr
Just discovered today that my 4runner had the pink milkshake with the previous owner...which he very smartly did not tell me when he was selling it to me.

Good news is: It has 3 years, and at least 30k miles on it since the milkshake....and zero issues.

I did a full service of the transmission myself after I purchased the rig (pan off, fluid flush, etc) just as preventative maintenance. I didn't know then that it had already had the milkshake. How I discovered this is another story all together, but anyway. My atf has stayed nice and red and clear for the last 15k miles......and the transmission shifts fine. Maybe it wasn't a bad milkshake, but I have hope that this transmission can last as long as the engine.
hearing this makes me feel a wee bit better that...mine may last.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM

I had the milkshake last spring but only drove about a mile before I noticed it. I did drop the pan in addition to the full flush. 8k miles later it's fine and we even pulled a popup camper once this summer. "fingers crossed"
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM

How would you know if your truck had the milkshake before? Just curious so I know what to look for.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacomagrl
How would you know if your truck had the milkshake before? Just curious so I know what to look for.
Pull the pan off and look for rust.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by badattitude
I'm pretty sure the Tacomas have a different radiator. So, you're safe. This is not a concern for the Tacomas
Is this true ? it seems like they would be the same part, i have an 03 Tacoma AT @ 120k but it has a new trans as of 90k and id like to keep it for a while

edit: aftermarket does show diff part #'s, you think its a good idea to bypass anyway ?

Last edited by bigcrab; 02-03-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Yea, my friend has a 2001 Taco and we researched it. As far as we can tell, Taco owners don't need to worry. I also searched TTORA for the term "strawberry" and got no results.

I've personally never heard of a Stawberry Milkshake problem on a Tacoma. But that's just my experience.

Of course, if you install an external trans cooler it's impossible to get the milkshake.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Cool, thanks man. I can rest a little easier for now

Quick Reply: Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner