Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I think running an OEM radiator with internal cooler has it advantages when driving slow or crawling on a trail while an external needs more air blowing over it to keep things more efficiently cooled down and there isn't much air blowing going 10-15mph while off road.
There are ways to fix that.

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I'd like to see comparison temps since that would make for an interesting argument.
Yeah there is a thread on that around here somewhere.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-17-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to my dad... 20,000km later and tranny still runs great....
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Another way that external coolers work great on the trail without mounting a new fan (not that that's a bad idea) is by putting it in front of the a/c condenser to utilize the motor fan. In this case too Fogrunner did a great post with temps and everything here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...covery-215128/

Last edited by JBurt; 09-17-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have got me convinced! I'm doing the radiator as PM when I replace my fan clutch. My 135K 00 is running hot after driving at highway speeds. I suspect fan clutch but have not tried the magazine trick yet.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

I do like the idea of mounting the cooler right up against the condensor and thanx for the link JBurt but as my 4Runner is going over 12 years on the road and 160k on all the parts I'm thinking a new radiator will still be the way to go for now.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by cmsaindon40
You guys have got me convinced! I'm doing the radiator as PM when I replace my fan clutch. My 135K 00 is running hot after driving at highway speeds. I suspect fan clutch but have not tried the magazine trick yet.
Fan clutch is not the issue if overheating is at highway speed. Fan clutch IS the issue if overheating is in stop-and-go traffic. My '99 was under half on the temp gauge on the way in to the Lincoln tunnel on a 95°F day with A/C on and traveling at 65+ miles per hour. I hit tunnel traffic, and within three minutes I was in the red. THAT was a fan clutch issue. Turned around, got out of traffic, and back to half right away driving at 65+ again.

Last edited by TheDurk; 09-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Fan clutch is not the issue if overheating is at highway speed. Fan clutch IS the issue if overheating is in stop-and-go traffic. My '99 was under half on the temp gauge on the way in to the Lincoln tunnel on a 95°F day with A/C on and traveling at 65+ miles per hour. I hit tunnel traffic, and within three minutes I was in the red. THAT was a fan clutch issue. Turned around, got out of traffic, and back to half right away driving at 65+ again.
Should have been more clear there....It overheats after slowing down/stopping after driving at highway speed....so I agree, like your Lincoln Tunnel story...the fan clutch is shot.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM

Just to note, Toyota's are not the only vehicles that suffer from this issue. When I had my 09' Frontier I read that this is a common problem for the 2nd gen's and would happen at a lot lower mileage.

Here is a link if anyone is curious: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...failure-34877/

Even worse, some would have the failure under the powertrain warranty and the dealer would deny as the radiator was the cause even though the transmission failed as well.

Some of the reason why I traded in the truck.

Anyone know our factory radiators are date stamped? Just curious if mine is original or not. It looks old as I noticed some corrosion on some of the hardware when I was doing the tranny cooler bypass. If it is original it went 163k w/o leaking. Wonder if the failure has anything to do with climate as mine has always been an Oregon truck.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP

Even worse, some would have the failure under the powertrain warranty and the dealer would deny as the radiator was the cause even though the transmission failed as well.
Ouch!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 AM

I believe I would sue Toyota for not covering tranny destruction due to radiator failure, if they denied that claim. The radiator's ATF cooler is an integral part of the transmission system.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pendrag
I believe I would sue Toyota for not covering tranny destruction due to radiator failure, if they denied that claim. The radiator's ATF cooler is an integral part of the transmission system.
Yep, I think any judge would agree with you too.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 AM

Yeah, but is it part of the drivetrain? The radiator is also part of the engine, like the alternator is, but I don't think either is covered under powertrain.

Here is the official list of AT components covered:

* ALL internally lubricated components and:
* Torque converter
* Shift linkage
* Seals and gaskets
* Solenoids
* Transmission mounts
* Vacuum modulator
* Case

Now, is the cooler 'internally lubricated'? It has fluid inside it, but nothing moves...lots of fun for the lawyers.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Here is the official list of AT components covered:

* ALL internally lubricated components and:
* Torque converter
* Shift linkage
* Seals and gaskets
* Solenoids
* Transmission mounts
* Vacuum modulator
* Case

Now, is the cooler 'internally lubricated'? It has fluid inside it, but nothing moves...lots of fun for the lawyers.

Maybe Seals and Gaskets? It is a "seal" that fails when this happens...

Unless they say only seals and gaskets that are associated with the case itself.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

That's why I don't buy any extra warranties, just a bunch of rip-off written in legalize.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Here is a pdf link to an old (read late 80s, early 90s; just look at the ATF fluid types) Toyota training manual concerning transmission fluid. What suprises me is that since the manual talks about the result of coolant mixing with the ATF (top of p.83), then other Toyota models must have had the same problem in prior years.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/AT06.pdf

It is also an interesting look into the ATF temps Toyota considers normal to severe.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

I change my gearbox fluids every 40k miles/4 years whatever comes first just to be safe.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

radiators do not last forever. a judge would throw this out if the radiator is 10 years old.

breakage and failures in cooling systems....it happens

nothing lasts forever
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by kball
Maybe Seals and Gaskets? It is a "seal" that fails when this happens...

Unless they say only seals and gaskets that are associated with the case itself.

seals and gaskets mean replaceable parts. the internal connection in the radiator is not replaceable. so...no
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
radiators do not last forever. a judge would throw this out if the radiator is 10 years old.

breakage and failures in cooling systems....it happens

nothing lasts forever
I think he was saying they were still under warranty and it was happening, so unless they had a 10 year warranty...you know?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think he was saying they were still under warranty and it was happening, so unless they had a 10 year warranty...you know?
if under warranty then yes...should cost zero to fix or rebuild

Quick Reply: Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner