Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by forsyth793
What replacement radiator is a good option???
I like the koyo a1998. It saved me $100 over the toyota radiator. I usually go with Toyota parts but needed to pinch pennies and I read others on this forum recommend the koyo as a low price alternative. So far I'm happy with it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck...........hopefully some of us can take
measures to prevent the problem. I know I will.
Do you mind me asking what your bill was at Toyota?

Is the koyo Rad a direct replacement?

Thanks , kenny S>
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I replaced my original radiator with a new Toyota one last year as preventative maintenance.

The truck now has 205,600 miles and continues to run like the day I purchased it in '01.

Andreas
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just ordered my koyo rad....
i'll need to call them tomorrow and get a price
adjustment because they sell it on e-bay for 30 bucks less than their site.
My rig has 150,000 on it.....
it's time!!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I just got the B&M 70264 external cooler off amazon for 60 bucks. My rig is a 97 with 180k and I figured if the radiator still worked fine I could get the external cooler and not worry about the strawberry milkshake ever again. Fogrunner did a great writeup of external coolers here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...esults-200965/. Now my biggest fear is getting a milkshake before I get it installed this weekend. Hope the flush works. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the radiator fails from within

Mods can we get the title spelling fixed to read strawberry milkshake so in case folks are searching they will find it? edit Thurs 9/16 thanks very much!

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
The radiator is fine. Why replace it?
that's the whole point-the radiator is not fine-it fails internally allowing the tranny cooler section within the radiator body to mix with the coolant and coolant to flow to the tranny-poisoning the seals of the tranny leading to failure of a more expensive nature.

Sorry to hear this happened to you bad attitude. Amazingly you have a very good attitude regarding the whole thing. Hopefully you'll have no further issues.

XAWD feel free to come by and we'll do the KOYO A1998 swap out for your ride. We got my friend with the 01 Limited her radiator from the GO PART folks via ebay and saved another 20 bucks or so.Some also say Radiator Barn has good prices on them. Do not dilly dally!

Yes it is a direct bolt up. Detaching the clips from the front grille was the hardest part and some suggest that was totally not necessary. Gives better access to the front of radiator however.

Guys with auto trannys-bite the bullet and do this preventative maintenance before it happens to you. Don't guess the mileage or the age-just get it done.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 09-16-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: stawberry milshake now fixed
Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by sharrack
Just ordered my koyo rad....
i'll need to call them tomorrow and get a price
adjustment because they sell it on e-bay for 30 bucks less than their site.
My rig has 150,000 on it.....
it's time!!
Who are you ordering it from? I think with 280,000 miles I might treat my 96 4runner to a new radiator as well. Is this a single row or can you get a double row.........
Old 09-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Mods can we get the title spelling fixed to read strawberry milkshake so in case folks are searching they will find it?

what you didn't like 'Stawberry Milshake'?
fixed
Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's the whole point-the radiator is not fine-it fails internally allowing the tranny cooler section within the radiator body to mix with the coolant and coolant to flow to the tranny-poisoning the seals of the tranny leading to failure of a more expensive nature.
my point was why replace a radiator with a new radiator and a tranny cooler, rather than just adding a tranny cooler
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
my point was why replace a radiator with a new radiator and a tranny cooler, rather than just adding a tranny cooler

all radiators get old. may as well replace the rad too, external tranny cooler or no...

and going stock is a sure fire method to get proper tranny temps, vs maybe
messing up an external tranny cooler install...not to mention the extra work...IMHO
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 AM

i just put in a tranny cooler, and plugged up the lines for the trans in the stock radiator

never heard on here of the stock radiator leaking coolant, and if it does leak, it's more than likely going to leak slowly, not a catastrophic event like the milkshake

i just don't see the point of throwing money at a rapidly depreciating asset, especially given the projected useful life

it's like spending big money $$$$ on someone already 90 years old to put in super titanium knee replacements with a 200 year warranty ROI is just not good
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sharrack
Sorry to hear about your truck...........hopefully some of us can take
measures to prevent the problem. I know I will.
Do you mind me asking what your bill was at Toyota?

Is the koyo Rad a direct replacement?

Thanks , kenny S>
The koyo is a direct replacement.

My bill for the Koyo was $198 for the part plus $90 for install plus $26ish for the coolant before the discount. The dealer knocked another 5% off just because I asked. I could have saved $75 bucks buying the radiator online. I think I could have installed myself. But I was stuck on the side of the road and felt like I had limited options at the time. I may have paniced a little. Overall, I think I was not gouged too badly all things concidered. Time is money and I needed my truck asap.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Some also say Radiator Barn has good prices on them. Do not dilly dally!
Ron, I bought from radiator barn years ago and I was not happy. I got a radiator for my Honda and upon installation, it started leaking. I called them and they said I'd have to pay for the shipping to AND back, and the turn around time would be over 2 weeks! Shipping alone was something like $35 each way, so not even worth it on a $100 radiator. I trashed it and bought a new one locally, which I should've done in the first place.

I urge you guys to deal with local shops, as it may minimize downtime.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM

Bad Attitude,

Did the toyota dealer use the Koyo or was it another dealer? Just curious.

My radiator actually started leaking right below the filler neck late last year. Why? Could not tell ya. Tiny little crack. If anyone wants a pic, I'll be glad to post it. But this is pretty rare I would imagine.

I have found that running the tranny cooler in series with the ATF cooler in the radiator keeps the ATF a little cooler as well as helping it warm up quicker on cooler days than running the B&M 70264 solo.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM

A local radiator shop told me that fatigue cracks in the plastic tank is how they start to fail. They were also suprised that my original has 280,000 miles with no problems...........YET.............
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Guys - a couple of quick questions:

The soon to be mine 4R is a 2.7 with AT. The Koyo site states that it will use the A1998 same as the 3.4. When I put in a 2.7 MT, it says nothing fits (A2207 for a 3.4 MT). Double checked a Toyota parts site and OEM lists only two radiators for all engines with the transmission being the difference.

Can someone verify for me that the 3.4 MT A2207 will bolt into my 2.7 AT? Will be running a separate AT cooler. Just don't like the idea of anything giving out and the potential for pieces or floaters anywhere in the engine. So I would like to run the MT without the tranny cooler.

Any experience on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Did the toyota dealer use the Koyo or was it another dealer? Just curious.

The Toyota dealer had no problem sourcing and aquiring the Koyo for me. I gave the part number and they had one in the truck a couple hours later. I was pleased they didn't give me any crap about using toyota parts (although I usually prefer Toyota parts)
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a significant price savings?

[QUOTE=sorexcuse;51551489]Guys - a couple of quick questions:

The soon to be mine 4R is a 2.7 with AT. The Koyo site states that it will use the A1998 same as the 3.4. When I put in a 2.7 MT, it says nothing fits (A2207 for a 3.4 MT). Double checked a Toyota parts site and OEM lists only two radiators for all engines with the transmission being the difference.

Can someone verify for me that the 3.4 MT A2207 will bolt into my 2.7 AT? Will be running a separate AT cooler. Just don't like the idea of anything giving out and the potential for pieces or floaters anywhere in the engine. So I would like to run the MT without the tranny cooler. end quote....

Sorexcuse-unless there is a substantial price savings for the A2207 just use the A1998 and keep the ports capped. As you say you will be running a separate tranny cooler anyways, so just do not plumb the tranny lines to the new radiator and all is good.

I've yet to hear of the KOYO radiators failing at any age-but I guess a legitimate question would be "How long has anyone been running a KOYO radiator?" Even if there was internal failure your tranny would not be connected to it if you see what I am getting at....

cackalak han good to hear from ya again...moved up to a LCruiser I see!

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 09-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:00 PM

You said... "it's like spending big money $$$$ on someone already 90 years old to put in super titanium knee replacements with a 200 year warranty ROI is just not good"

Well, not quite. If you put in a super titanium radiator replacement then yes, it would be like that but putting in a stock or less expansive replacement is merely like replacing that 90yr old knee with another OEM stock knee just new and not 90yrs old so the whole "machine" can continue to function a lot longer then it might w/o the replacement.

Otherwise yes, I agree with your statement on ROI, but since when are cars anyways? Especially modified ones? Its not why we buy them in the first place and especially not why we customize them.

The new rad or cooler are on my list as well..... why potentially pay thousands and have it only make it to 140k and be w/o my truck for weeks vs. pay a hundred bucks and not drive it for an cpl hours and then have it go till it hits 240k or more?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

I think running an OEM radiator with internal cooler has it advantages when driving slow or crawling on a trail while an external needs more air blowing over it to keep things more efficiently cooled down and there isn't much air blowing going 10-15mph while off road.
I'd like to see comparison temps since that would make for an interesting argument.

Quick Reply: Another Strawberry Milkshake 1999 4runner