Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Airaid Jr. Intake: The Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airaid Jr. Intake: The Verdict

So after about 2 months looking into intake upgrades, I decided to give the Airaid Jr. a whirl. I figured that a whole expensive K&N or even the Airaid full intake systems were just too overkill for my needs. I will be adding "The Deckplate Mod" in the near future.

1. It may all be in my head, but I really think it has a little more gusto behind it. It just "feels" a little quicker.

2. Whoooooop... that's all I hear now because that little 3.4 really sings with that old intake tube off. It's much louder, but I like it.

3. $140. For only the price of a nice dinner with friends, all in all I think it was worth it. Like I said before, it may all be in my head... but it's all in good fun.

The Verdict: Why the hell not, if you have the money and a little time give it a try. If you don't like it, eBay it!

Take a look at the pictures!
Airaid Intake
Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet, though in your words "if you have the money why not" i decided to apply to other mods instead, you should look into the deckplate mod next which will really open it up...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/deckplate-mod-75169/
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the effects of the intake tube are real. The result of the change in the physics of getting the air into the throttle body ends up being better throttle response. Doing the deckplate will net you real-live dyno-proven horsepower.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:13 AM

I did the deckplate first, then bought the air raid intake tube. That tube gave it some serious sound at WOT, and so much throttle response. I have fun tapping the gas and listening to the engine.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:16 PM

we removed the fender well tube, the air silencer, and put in a 4" deck plate on our 01'. the performance gains are obvious. it takes a lot less throttle to get her going and to accelerate on the highway. WOT is very loud though, i thinking about adding a AEM later to hopefully quite it down a little, but still flow better.

anyone think the 6" deck plate would be quieter?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Did it affect your MPG at all?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:55 PM

I don't really watch my MPG; there are no highways where I live so the MPG is always terrible anyway.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:32 PM

The combination of the deck plate, the m.i.t. and the trueflow filter increased fuel economy quite a bit on the highway. Around town not so much because i like the sound combined with the giver.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally, I planned on waiting for the polished pipes that dfoxengr plans to make, but I just bought this kit on ebay for peanuts, ($24 and $16 shipping, for a total of $40 to my door). I am not going to keep this cheapo cone filter. I would much rather use the stock airbox and Amsoil filter with my brand new polished aluminum pipe.

The pipe fits right into the tubing that the MAF sensor is attached. I will use the stock tubing and simply cut whatever part of the polished pipe I don't need to match up.

All I gotta do is buy one silicon connector.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Just do a search on ebay for "4runner intake" and sort by lowest price. There's a plethora of pipes there at your disposal for as low as $10. Make sure you get the right one for your truck's manufactured year. 96-98 is different from 99-02 - just in case you want to keep the filter that comes with it. If you plan on doing what I'm doing, any pipe will do because you'll use the stock MAF housing tube.

Last edited by QSVeilside; 08-14-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

what you are feeling is faster response from a complete stop, and once you get the deckplate on it'll growl a little more once you hit the gas. I have both mods and they are defintely worth doing!

I found my airaid intake tube on ebay as well!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kode3
So after about 2 months looking into intake upgrades, I decided to give the Airaid Jr. a whirl. I figured that a whole expensive K&N or even the Airaid full intake systems were just too overkill for my needs. I will be adding "The Deckplate Mod" in the near future.

Take a look at the pictures!
Airaid Intake
I just got these in, and have them in stock. For anyone wanting one, LINK:

Write-up/more info
Old 08-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Does anyone have dyno-results that back up some manufacturers HP claims?

You often see ads (especially the new K&N/fram? ads on TV) where people claim they can feel the increase in power. I personally feel that one must have a pretty well tuned back-side to "feel" an increase of a few % in HP on the seat-of-the-pants dyno. I am sure that the increased throttle sound contributes considerably to this perception.
I switched from a 300ZXTT to the 4runner and the modifications made on those forums were always accompanied by dyno sheets. Even though all dynos are different, having a base vs. modded dyno runs always gave you something cumulative to base your upgrades on. I dont think I've even seen a dyno run on this forum.

I want to make sure this post isn't read with any sort of negative tone implied. I'm just wondering if there are any dyno sheets out there. Personally my engine is stock and will more than likely stay that way. In hindsight although I love the style/function of my 3rd gen. I maybe would have considered a V8 (4th gen) had I known the gas mileage on the 3rd was as bad as it is. Cheers- James
Old 08-28-2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Does anyone have dyno-results that back up some manufacturers HP claims?
There are dyno sheets around for doing the "deckplate mod" (+6hp) and adding a supercharger, but I haven't seen one for the ISR (Intake Silencer Removal) mod.

The ISR will _increase throttle response_, not add HP. That's a "simple" physics point.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 PM

How long does it take to put it on?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by lanai
How long does it take to put it on?
Which? What?

The original thread talks about the Airaid - that's about 15 minutes if it's your first time. The last posts in the thread talked about the ISR (about 20 minutes, including waiting in line at Home Depot) and the deck plate (about an hour including cutting the hole using a power tool).

If you're talking about something else, then you need to be more specific. Rear end gears are about 3 hours under diress in the dirt. A supercharger is about 3 hours the first time, and a month of tweaking and paying off Visa bills. Tail light fluid is about 2 hours if you have the right sized socket. An oil change is about 30 minutes if the engine is hot, including the time to bandage your hand from the burns.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks Mark

Sorry, I meant the Airaid tube. Mine just came in this morning.

Alex
Old 09-27-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by lanai
Thanks Mark

Sorry, I meant the Airaid tube. Mine just came in this morning.

Alex
...and I apologize for being in slight pr_k mode.

The tube may take a bit of twisting to get in, that's kindofa' feature. You'll think that you're gonna' crak the MAF, but you won't. Keep tweaking on it and it'll pop right in.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

This is one of the quickest way to add a jump in HP. Then following up with the deckplate is another option.

Write-up/more info
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM

QSveilside- keep us updated on the ebay pipe i'm very curious, i almost bought one of these just to test it but looks like you beat me too it!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I just got these in, and have them in stock. For anyone wanting one, LINK:

Write-up/more info
I just ordered the airaid intake and the trueflow airfilter from you. Hope everything goes well with it. Doing the deckplate mod a little later I think

Last edited by hellbound; 02-27-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Airaid Jr. Intake: The Verdict