Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 front bumper swapped out for 96-98 bumper???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 96 bumper did bolt up to my 99. i ended up using 2 of the 4 bolts. i had a slight dip at the corner of the bumper where it meets the fender but i used heavy duty zip ties to help flush the fitment. anyway, i ended up swapping the 96 for a 99 a week after the original posting. hope this helps
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Wow I'm glad I found this thread.
I just got my shipment in the mail today, 99+ clear headlights and clear corners with grille, and my 99+ fat lip bumper.
After installing headlights/corners/grille I noticed the brackets for the fat lip were different, but searching and stumbling along this thread really helps.
Knowing I can just cut a 1/2inch hole after grinding down the screws is valuable to me. I almost didn't know what I was going to do with this bumper laying around in my living room.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 PM

My $.02 "fat lip" to 96-98'

Though this is an ancient thread Id thought I would add my experience with this so that Google searchers that may come across it can maybe learn from it. So you don't want that huge "fat lip" hanging off the front of your 99'+ 3rd gen wheeling machine, affecting approach and departure angles, well neither did I.

Unbolting the "Fat lip" bumper found on your 99' and on T4R, you will see why the "fat lip" was added in 99'. There is a large structural bumper that resides behind the plastic. This can be removed and the 96-98' bumper can then be bolted on without modification with just a reconfiguration of the bolt locations. By reconfiguration I do not mean cutting, drilling, or any modification. Just put the bolts in the existing holes that match up with the 96-98 bumper. Be carefully during removal and reinstallation that you do not damage the studs and bushings located near the inner front portion of the fenders. These studs provide the flush fitment in the corners of the bumper. However easy this seems, removing the structural bumper relieves you of most all of the direct frontal impact protection you once had, and leaves the lower portion of the radiator core and AC condenser vulnerable. The lower radiator tank is somewhat protected by the skid plate from frontal impact but IMHO it isn't enough. So you have some options, leave the structural bumper where it is and cut out the center portion of the plastic on the 96-98 bumper and run it like that. Remove all the plastic, both of which IMHO looks crappy or you can remove the structural bumper and fab something up to replace it that allows the 96-98 bumper to fit. I have opted to remove all the plastic and fab something up. I have searched Google for hours for ideas and while there are some, there aren't many. You will need to be creative and or farm it out to a fab shop. I will post pics when mine is done.

So once you have that all figured out you will need to address the turn signals. The turn signal light housing on the "Fat lip" are not the same as what are found on the 96-98' bumpers. Meaning the 99'+ sockets will not insert and turn into the 96-98' light housing. Therefore you will need to source the sockets and wiring from the vehicle you got the 96-98' bumper from, or get them from another one. Once obtained, wire them in and you are good to go.

Hope this helps someone!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by RattleAKAK
Though this is an ancient thread Id thought I would add my experience with this so that Google searchers that may come across it can maybe learn from it. So you don't want that huge "fat lip" hanging off the front of your 99'+ 3rd gen wheeling machine, affecting approach and departure angles, well neither did I.

Unbolting the "Fat lip" bumper found on your 99' and on T4R, you will see why the "fat lip" was added in 99'. There is a large structural bumper that resides behind the plastic. This can be removed and the 96-98' bumper can then be bolted on without modification with just a reconfiguration of the bolt locations. By reconfiguration I do not mean cutting, drilling, or any modification. Just put the bolts in the existing holes that match up with the 96-98 bumper. Be carefully during removal and reinstallation that you do not damage the studs and bushings located near the inner front portion of the fenders. These studs provide the flush fitment in the corners of the bumper. However easy this seems, removing the structural bumper relieves you of most all of the direct frontal impact protection you once had, and leaves the lower portion of the radiator core and AC condenser vulnerable. The lower radiator tank is somewhat protected by the skid plate from frontal impact but IMHO it isn't enough. So you have some options, leave the structural bumper where it is and cut out the center portion of the plastic on the 96-98 bumper and run it like that. Remove all the plastic, both of which IMHO looks crappy or you can remove the structural bumper and fab something up to replace it that allows the 96-98 bumper to fit. I have opted to remove all the plastic and fab something up. I have searched Google for hours for ideas and while there are some, there aren't many. You will need to be creative and or farm it out to a fab shop. I will post pics when mine is done.

So once you have that all figured out you will need to address the turn signals. The turn signal light housing on the "Fat lip" are not the same as what are found on the 96-98' bumpers. Meaning the 99'+ sockets will not insert and turn into the 96-98' light housing. Therefore you will need to source the sockets and wiring from the vehicle you got the 96-98' bumper from, or get them from another one. Once obtained, wire them in and you are good to go.

Hope this helps someone!!!
Thanks for posting this. I know this thread is REALLY old now, but it's very unique. I HATE the fat lip bumper. I'm torn between dishing out the money for an aftermarket one, or doing the 98 swap. I really like the simplicity of the 96-98 flat bumpers. I have some questions about your post however:

One one hand you said, "This can be removed and the 96-98' bumper can then be bolted on without modification with just a reconfiguration of the bolt locations. By reconfiguration I do not mean cutting, drilling, or any modification. Just put the bolts in the existing holes that match up with the 96-98 bumper."

But then you went on to say, "you can remove the structural bumper and fab something up to replace it that allows the 96-98 bumper to fit."

So in short, will I be able to purchase say, something like this on the cheap:

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/cat...xoC53gQAvD_BwE

And mount it up after removing the plastic bumper on the 2000 ? Also, how did you make out with the turn signals?

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:51 AM

Any updates on this thread? I am thinking about swapping my 01 for a 97 bumper.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM

Bump for any updates