Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4runner project

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work getting that plug out. PB Blaster to the rescue yet again. :-)
Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
Nice job getting the old plug out. Good idea with the anti-seize, but try to keep it on the threads only, lol. And like chadsy said, you probably have a leak somewhere.

My AC system has been leaking for the last few years. It must be a pretty small leak though, because I haven't been able to find it, and it takes months for the system to lose the refrigerant and fail to cool. Before every Summer I just go get a can from the parts store and recharge the system. I usually forget about it until the following Summer. It's cheaper for me to spend $20/year on A/C than to go have it worked over.

EDIT: Also, I see you posted that you're changing the boot on one of the coil packs. Is there something wrong with yours? If you're talking about getting new coil packs, you should go OEM.
I change all the boots because they were soo old and bad.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Thank you JBurt and rworegon. I was lucky it was only a bad spark plug and I was able to take it out.. You guys should of heard the noises that spark plugs was making when I was turning it.....
Now my other problems to fix are the A/C, I cant open the driver side door with the key and a water leak somewhere infront of the engine. After all this little issues are fix, then the mods would begin
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Is the water coming in from behind the gas/brake pedals? If so, it's likely a drip coming down through the grommet in the firewall. The grommet is right under the brake booster on the engine side. If any aftermarket wires have been routed through that grommet, it's known to leak a small drip of water down the wires and into the floor.

Recharge the A/C. If it works, then you probably just have a leak somewhere.

If it's just the key cylinder in the door, you can get those fairly cheap and have it keyed to your car key. The removal/install is pretty easy. If you did the spark plugs, you can do that.

Nice work on the truck!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM

I just found out the my runner has rust on the roof. I read a few post about this problem been pretty common on this model. I guess it was too good to be true on the price.. Now I don't know what to do about it. It has rust on all four conners of the roof rack....

On the leak situation, it looks like it is leaking for the thersmostat housing... Like between the water pump and the block... It doesn't leak too bad and doesn't over heat. But it is kinda annoying.

On the key problem, I bought the runner from the bay area. So I put some wd40 in the key hole to clean the interior and didn't work.. Did I made it worse? does it have any sensor inside? and can I take off the part from inside or outside?

here are some pics of the rust and the leak.
Name:  IMAG0285.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0286.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  80.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0287.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0281.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  124.4 KB

and after I wash it
[IMG]http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/7nor0
cal7/IMAG0289.jpg[/IMG]

some of the interior just to show you how clean is inside
Name:  IMAG0241.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  99.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0240.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  93.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM

after washing it
Name:  IMAG0289.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  167.3 KB
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

She looks pretty good. Despite the rust and water leak, you didn't get ripped off for only $1500. You could sell it right now for a profit if you wanted.

If you're really worried about the roof rack rust, pull the roof rack off and have a look at the spots closer up. You could probably pull the roof rack and spend a few hundred bucks at a body shop having them clean those spots up. Stopping the rust before it eats through too much of that metal would be ideal.

If the water leak isn't slowing you down too much, you can keep refilling with coolant and live with it. When you want to tackle a project, you can get a new water pump gasket and/or water pump and replace the old stuff. It's not too bad of a job, and there are extensive writeups around here.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
She looks pretty good. Despite the rust and water leak, you didn't get ripped off for only $1500. You could sell it right now for a profit if you wanted.

If you're really worried about the roof rack rust, pull the roof rack off and have a look at the spots closer up. You could probably pull the roof rack and spend a few hundred bucks at a body shop having them clean those spots up. Stopping the rust before it eats through too much of that metal would be ideal.

If the water leak isn't slowing you down too much, you can keep refilling with coolant and live with it. When you want to tackle a project, you can get a new water pump gasket and/or water pump and replace the old stuff. It's not too bad of a job, and there are extensive writeups around here.
thanks 98sr54runner, Ill do that next week.. I had 3 2nd gen 4runners and worked on the 3vze engine before... HUGE different on the power of the engine. I have decided to keep it and fix the problems slow it..

And to begin on the mods, I found out that one of the fog lights is out..
Name:  IMAG0294.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  66.8 KB
I had been reading a few threads and decided to go for a bigger fog lights: however, I don't know nothing on electrical issues... I read on a tread that people have to upgrade the wires or you can burn your vehicle... How can I tell if I have to upgrade the wires of the fog light I already have? also, which fog lights would you guys recommend me.. Ill have like $200 to spend. I heard the PIAA are good.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by norcal707
thanks 98sr54runner, Ill do that next week.. I had 3 2nd gen 4runners and worked on the 3vze engine before... HUGE different on the power of the engine. I have decided to keep it and fix the problems slow it..

And to begin on the mods, I found out that one of the fog lights is out..

I had been reading a few threads and decided to go for a bigger fog lights: however, I don't know nothing on electrical issues... I read on a tread that people have to upgrade the wires or you can burn your vehicle... How can I tell if I have to upgrade the wires of the fog light I already have? also, which fog lights would you guys recommend me.. Ill have like $200 to spend. I heard the PIAA are good.
I think what you're talking about as far as upgrading the wires was guys that were taking 100w halogen bulbs and installing them in place of standard 55w bulbs. This is totally doable, but you'd definitely want to upgrade the wiring. Any set of fog lights that you buy will come with wiring that will be plenty suitable for their use. If you really wanted to upgrade the wiring for the set you buy, you could go as low a gauge as you wanted, but it's not really necessary.

Before you go and do all that, you should do some testing on the broken fog light. Is the wiring broken or disconnected somewhere? Is the bulb out? It might be a cheap fix, at least to sell if you're sure you want to go with bigger lights.

If you want to get in to upgrading the wiring, or if you plan to have much more than that set of fog lights on the battery, you should consider the "big three" upgrade. You can google and read tons about this mod.

PIAAs are good, Hellas are good, KCs are awesome. It's all about personal preference and budget. There are tons of brands, all varying in quality/style/price.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 PM

This is what I want to upgrade to.
http://www.performance4trucks.com/Li...FW6CQgodB2gAew
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM

well, I had some time to take the rack today and doesn't look right so I took it to the only body shop in town and they told me it needs a roof job which would run me between $3k to $4K.... I asked them if we could patch it and even that would be around $2k.. now I don't know what to do... Im going to ask more around, but here some pics
Name:  IMAG0302.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  134.8 KB
this is the worse spot of the roof
IMG]
Name:  IMAG0305.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0306.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  111.2 KB
Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

I'm far from an expert in this area, but the roof is made of basically sheet metal. I would think that it would be possible to cut out those rust spots and weld some new metal in. They don't seem to be that big relative to the size of the roof. Then do some body work on that metal and make it match half-way decently. I wouldn't care if the paint was off or whatever, it's the roof and half-covered by the rack. I figured a body shop would be willing to do something like that, but you may have to get more inventive than taking it to the local body joint.s
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree. Doesn't seem like too big of a deal. That could be cut out and have something else put in. You could even just take an angle grinder and take as much rust out as you could and then use a rust treatment, then patch up the rest with fiberglass or bondo. Definitely not the right way to do it but it would buy you a couple years. If you didn't worry about putting the rack back on it's even easier.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:07 PM

And the mods begins!!!!!! well, I had a change to work on my 4runner by replacing the fog light.. I got some cheap ones for now, in the future, i'm be putting some PIAA. Here is how is looking now.
Name:  IMAG0398.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  142.0 KB
for $20 for the lights, it make my runner better.. I also refill the a/c and it is working like new....
Name:  IMAG0399.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  59.7 KB

Now I have to save some money to upgrade the stereo.. Im getting tired of listening to country music.. My friend just let me borrow the cassette adaptor to plug my ipod...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM

so im looking for a lift kit and im debating on this two:
http://www.roughcountry.com/suspensi...ft-kit-771.php
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

I have read a lot of the toytec lifts but those treads are a few years old and not too much on the rougth county lifts........ Im more for the toytec lift because of the front spacers... I don't think a piece of tube with a piece of plate welded both ends is stronger that a solid block... However, Im new to this kid of stuff... would like to heard your opinion on this two kits.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Hi everybody,
New guy here, I'm following this thread just to see what you are doing to it.
I have a '96 3.4L 4Runner and last year I lifted it with a Sonoran Steel 1.2 Kit.
Now I'm looking to upgrade brakes and posibly wheels (I'm rolling 15" stock rims).
So far I haven't found anybody selling bolt on brake conversions for this model.
AllPro kits seems to be for up to '95 models.
I saw the Tundra conversion on the front ones but nothing for the rear ones (unless you want to scavenge parts from everywhere).
Anyway...
Looking forward to the mods on your rig here!!!!
Cheers,

Last edited by ferincr; 05-08-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM

soo I installed a nice stereo for nothing...hahahaha.... I was surfing on the net the other day and saw this great deal on a pioneer app radio and decided to buy it.. when I installed, I couldn't play my old ipod.. this stereo only works with the Iphone 4 and up or the ipod touch 4 gen... which I don't have any of them... luckily my coworker is buying it from me for what I paid.... I already order anpther one.

Name:  IMAG0540.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  94.3 KB
took the amp out of the 4R to make room on the back
Name:  IMAG0539.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  83.8 KB
when I took the antenna cable, I noticed this other smaller cable. does anyone know what is the cable for?
Name:  IMAG0541.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0542.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  58.4 KBName:  IMAG0544.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  81.1 KB
Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 AM

Wow! that looks nice.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by ferincr
Wow! that looks nice.
thank you ferincr. it sound good, too. my next time is to replace the stock speakers and hook up a couple amps.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 AM

I change mine a couple of years ago too, but living here in Costa Rica I had to go with something less flashy. (you have to if you love your windows, dash, and stereo) So mine has a detachable front and USB plug so I have my music in a flash drive.
AS far as brakes I got an email from Kurtis from All Pro Offroad and told me unfortunately no brake kits for 96 and up 4runners .

Last edited by ferincr; 05-12-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 4runner project