Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

95 taco clutch replacement...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 taco clutch replacement...need help!

i'm replacing the clutch in my 95 toyota tacoma V6 4X4 and am running into a problem. the transmission has been removed and the clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing have all been replaced.

when everything is reassembled, the clutch pedal does not engage the clutch properly. when the slave cylinder is bled and adjusted a certain way, i can actually shift into gear and drive the truck, but it seems that the clutch is just barely engaging. when i release the clutch pedal 1/2" or so from the floor, the truck jumps as if i had popped the clutch.

we have attempted to adjust the push rod and freeplay on the clutch pedal itself but it has not helped. when the slave cylinder is adjusted so that the clutch will actually engage, the push rod on the slave cylinder is pressing the fork so far that it is coming into contact with the bell housing and has actually worn two small grooves in the aluminum. thinking it may be a problem with the slave cylinder, we have replaced that as well, but it did not help.

so now we have dropped the transmission two different times and reassembled everything two different times, each time while trying to bleed the slave cylinder and trying to adjust the clutch pedal so it will operate correctly, the clutch fork has ended up getting knocked out of alignment inside the bell housing.

we're attempting to drop the transmission one more time today/this weekend and hopefully get it fixed up. but at this point, i honestly have no idea what could be the problem. if anyone has any advice, please let me know! thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious did you double check**** your new parts with the ones you removed .??

What kind of clutch kit did you go with ?? Wrong kit for what you have.

If the slave cylinder is pushing the fork against the bell housing I am going towards wrong throw out bearing. It is pretty hard to install one wrong.

Wrong pressure plate (clutch cover) or the whole kit is in the correct box but it has some correct parts and others from who knows what.

I am guessing that your transmission is fully seated and tight against the engine.

Good luck
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it turned out to be the wrong throwout bearing. the original one was about two inches longer than the new one, so we greased it up and used the old one. can't believe we assembled it all twice and didn't compare the parts. i checked the pressure plate, clutch disc, and pilot bearing, but for some reason not the throwout bearing.

the clutch kit is a sachs brand and came with the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing and pilot bearing all together. i got it from an abc auto parts. i had them match a price from o'reillys and paid $259 plus tax. i'm going to take the bearing back to them and see what i can get them to do for me. it was incredibly inconvenient.

but...thanks for the quick reply. if nothing else i learned more about my truck. and learned how a clutch works, haha.