Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen 15k Maintenance - Lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lefty
JGage,

1. Easy. I already had some Mobil1 75w-90 synthetic from a previous vehicle, so I used it.

2. Eh ? Amsoil 80w-90 is GL2 thru GL5. Are you sure you didn't check out their marine gear oil which is only GL4 ?

Steve
Duh ! Thanks for pointing it out. I'm having a hard time finding the 80w90 here in town. I musta hit the wrong link on the Amsoil site.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 02:24 PM

JGage,

Guess I could help you with your 80w-90 search. You CAN find it in the auto stores, but it will not be synthetic and you probably won't find the ~5 quarts you need for both diffs at a single stop. Trust me, I looked throughout most of greater Phoenix looking for the stuff. I finally ordered it off Amsoil's site and got it shipped to my house in a couple days. I think next time I'll save myself the gas and frustration and just order from Amsoil...

Steve
Old 02-25-2004, 02:27 PM

Sac State,

I'm running 17"x8" American Racing Diamondbacks. 0" offset. 265/75R17 BFG All-Terrain T/As. I get slight rubbing on the front of the wheelwell at full lock, but otherwise have not problems. I did have to remove my mudflaps, however, since rubbing on those was pretty bad.

Steve
265/70R17, right Steve? I think you made that mistake before
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
265/70R17, right Steve? I think you made that mistake before

What would I do without you, Firsttoy....
Old 02-25-2004, 02:46 PM

You would give me your 4Runner of course!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:00 PM

Yep, that's what I'm going to have to do. Actually, the one place who has Amsoil in-twon told me they (Amsoil) doesn't make 80w90. I corrected them and the a$$h)0le mgr said "well, get it there then."

BTW: You notice any difference when driving ?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:32 PM

where is a cabin filter on a 3rd generation?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by JGage
Yep, that's what I'm going to have to do. Actually, the one place who has Amsoil in-twon told me they (Amsoil) doesn't make 80w90. I corrected them and the a$$h)0le mgr said "well, get it there then."

BTW: You notice any difference when driving ?
You betcha ! Runs MUCH smoother. I feel less vibrations from the drivetrain. Of course, I'm not sure if any one part of the work smoothed things out. Could have been the diffs, or the transfer case, or the drivetrain lube, or the air filter, or the combination of all.

By the way, I found that I'm lubing my drivetrain every 5K - 6K. It appears that's when the "clunk" keeps coming back. Never had to do that so frequently on any of my other vehicles....

Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 05:46 AM

I've got the clunk too...

Thanks for the help Lefty !
Old 02-26-2004, 06:13 AM

Sac State,

I'm running 17"x8" American Racing Diamondbacks. 0" offset. 265/75R17 BFG All-Terrain T/As. I get slight rubbing on the front of the wheelwell at full lock, but otherwise have not problems. I did have to remove my mudflaps, however, since rubbing on those was pretty bad.

Steve
Hey Steve,

Do you think that if you still had the stock wheels on that you wouldn't get the rubbing? It looks like the zero offset wheels and the extra inch push them out a little further than the stock wheels. I want to lift my 4runner, and would like to go with the 265/75R17, but I do not want to deal with rubbing.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 AM

Pistonslap,

I'm almost certain that I wouldn't have a rubbing problem with the stock wheels. The 0" offset moves the wheels out from the hub just over 1" when compared with the stock wheels. I think fourrunnabilly, goodtimes, or sedonaz run larger tires on their stock wheels so they should be able to give you a better answer.

Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

JGage,

Guess I could help you with your 80w-90 search. You CAN find it in the auto stores, but it will not be synthetic and you probably won't find the ~5 quarts you need for both diffs at a single stop. Trust me, I looked throughout most of greater Phoenix looking for the stuff. I finally ordered it off Amsoil's site and got it shipped to my house in a couple days. I think next time I'll save myself the gas and frustration and just order from Amsoil...

Steve
I am pretty sure you would be ok with 75w-90
Old 04-05-2004, 12:46 PM

Anyone know if there is a drain plug for the front diff or do you just pump it out the filler plug whole. I believe the manual says 75W-90 GL5 for the diffs. I need to do the front one this weekend. Don't think the dealer did it the other day. They did the T-case and rear diff, but not the front????
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Dutch Man
Anyone know if there is a drain plug for the front diff or do you just pump it out the filler plug whole. I believe the manual says 75W-90 GL5 for the diffs. I need to do the front one this weekend. Don't think the dealer did it the other day. They did the T-case and rear diff, but not the front????
Dutch,

Yep, there's a drain plug on the front diff. It actually uses a hex key, however. Think it's 10mm, if I'm not mistaken. Filling that diff is a major pain, tho...

Good luck !

Steve
Old 04-07-2004, 05:52 AM

My 2004 owners manual indicates that the Transmission fluid should be changed at the 60K mile interval if you tow/haul and does not indicate that you should ever change it if you don't tow or haul. It also indicates that the transmission uses a new type of fluid that changed at the end of the 2003 model run, they also eliminated the transmission dip stick in the 2004 model. I know a guy that is a consultant in the transmission industry and he thinks that transmission fluid does not need to be changed unless it has been over heated. This kinda goes along with Toyotas recommendation when it comes to changing it if you tow (meaning possible over heating of the fluid). This new 5 speed automatic is the same transmission used in the new Landcruiser/Lexus LX470 and both the LC and the LX470 weigh around 1200 lbs. more than our 4runners. It also seems with the removal of the dipstick Toyota wants this transmission to be a sealed unit. Since my 4runner is new, I have plenty of time to wait and learn what others decide to do and what their experiences are with changing the fluid. Personally I will let Toyota change the differential fluid and transfercase at the Toyota recommended interval for "towing", even though I don't tow, but I will leave the trans alone at this point. I don't tow/haul and I don't go off road so I figure I should be more than ok. I look forward to learning from others on this subject. thanks

Last edited by Pitbull; 04-07-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:19 AM

Gentlemen,
I am at 24k miles, and figured I'd wait till I hit 30k to have the diffs/t-case done (sounds a bit difficult for me to do myself). Just did my oil and cabin filter myself though. Just had a few questions...
Is our center differential and transfercase housed in the same unit? In other words when the dealer says they will do the t-case, that includes the center differential, right? Also would the dealer give me any choice of gear oil, or will I be stuck with non-synthetic? I ask because there is a valvoline oil change place near where I live that I could have full synthetic valvoline 75W-90 put in. Is valvoline any good? I'm not sure if they would torque the drive-shaft bolts though. Anyways, thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 4Sport
Gentlemen,
Is our center differential and transfercase housed in the same unit?
They are talking about the samething. I would have the dealer change it and use the recommended Toyota lube. If you do this every 30K miles it will last forever. You don't need synthetic. Synthetic protects if you are running on the ragged edge (towing heavy, extreme cold (Alaska), extreme heat (death valley). Synthetic often gives people a false sense of security, where you go for extended drain intervals (much worse than using dino and correct change interval). You are better off using Toyota products and following the recommended intervals for your driving style. Plus you won't have a warranty problem.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:33 PM

Which should I do?

So I just hit 15k, I don't tow, or off-road, and I don't have a 4WD. What should I do for my 15 k maintenance?

1. Change oil
2. Rear dif. oil.
3. Re torque propeller shaft? Could anyone explain this one to me?

Anything else. I have a K&N, so I don't have to change the filter. I just had my tires balanced and rotated.

Anything else?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:30 PM

It is interesting that my dealers quick lube service covers everything on the 15K check list. Yosmany I would just follow Toyota's recommendation for SEVERE service, even if you drive under the normal recommendation. Can't go wrong!!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:48 PM

How hard is it to change the rear diff fluid.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen 15k Maintenance - Lessons learned