Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

4Runner Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did not want to take a chance on busting the grille and was told it was needed to be removed. I was thinking same thing-it probably could be done without removing the grille

but why take a chance on busting up a friend's grille when it is so simple to just remove it as you say? Guess I am not as agile as you younger pups.

Not my truck-it was an auto tranny truck.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the grille makes life alot easier when replacing the radiator. Once you remove the grille once, any time after that should take no more than a minute or two for removal.

If one is going to replace the radiator, spend the extra $$$ and buy new OEM hoses. If the drive belts are looking bad, replace them at the same time.

Replacement grille clips are $.74 each FYI or close to it.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently put a new KOYO in mine, just did the BL this past weekend so next mod up will be the external tranny cooler. The radiator is super simple (so was the body lift actually) and does give you that much needed peace of mind in the hot summer!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by rrams53
I have a 96 4Runner with the 3.4 V6. I am in the market for a new radiator. I want a radiator that will perform a little better than the stock one. Any suggestions? I want to keep it around $150 or so. Thanks!
Don't know what the cost is but Mac's Radiator stocks Performance Radiators in their warehouse in Albany. Performance buys they're part # 1998 from Koyo, same part different box if you didn't want to deal with the internet.

Also I worked for a aftermarket radiator company for years and here and there cars would have the milkshake issue. It must be a weak leak in 3rd gen stock radiators because it seems almost common on yotatech. I am not saying its impossible but in the six years I worked there I never saw a Koyo 1998 tranny cooler failure if thats any help to anybody.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 AM

Yeah it might be a big internet scare that's hugely magnified because we only hear about the problem not the ten's of thousands of trucks that keep on operating with minimal upkeep.

For me it boiled down to preventative maintenance. ~$150 to avoid possibly having to spend ~$2000 for another transmission was worthwhile. In addition I now have a more efficient cooling system as the new radiator has no bent fins and I took the time to clean out the A/C heat exchanger.

Worth it for me.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 AM

I just got my KOYO radiator in yesterday and plan on replacing my existing one this weekend. My original radiator has 162,000 miles on it so I think it has put it's time in. I was a little disappointed to find that the KOYO radiator was made in Indonesia. I wish I would have gotten one that was made in the US since I didn't get a Toyota radiator. Oh well, I'm sure the KOYO will serve me well.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious. How is the quality? Doe's it look like a quality product? Would you buy again? Anyone know some US made radiators under $300?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My KOYO has been great, I think the quality is on par if not better than the stocker. I did a lot of research when I was looking at a new rad and the KOYO was the best/most economical choice. Here is a comparison of the KOYO and the Stocker side by side:

Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM

+1 with Mauzer in agreement.

In 2 months I have had it in, the Koyo has been great. No change in cooling ability. I will say that it is lighter in weight than the OEM for the fins bend easier (found out the hard way). Also, it took a little less coolant to fill it. But for just over $100, it works just fine.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Talking

Being in the northeast (salty roads) I would be concerned with longevity. But, at just under half the cost of OEM you can always replace the Koyo again.

I went with a stocker with the built in tranny cooler. No pink milkshake, I replaced at 100k miles to prevent a milkshake. The hoses looked good but replaced them and the thermostat. One of the trans cooler outlets broke off the radiator with little force as I was removing the trans fluid hose. Although, it looks like if it had failed while driving, it would have leaked trans fluid only, not mixing to the coolant.
(2001 4R)
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 AM

Just replaced mine last night. I am happy with my KOYO radiator, good fit and didn't appear to be made too cheap. I did bang it on the handle of my floor jack as I was transporting the new radiator out of my garage. The handle did bend some fins but no leaks. I think the KOYO will serve the purpose well.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Good thread. Just what I was looking for.
I have ~135K on my 2000 3.4 Auto and my Rad was replaced with a Koyo at ~45K due to a love tap on the front end.
Name:  DSCN2140.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  118.2 KB
So that means I have ~90K on my Koyo.
Has there been ANY reports of KOYO radiators failing and creating milkshakes?
I have not done my timing belt yet, so when that comes up in the foreseeable future, I will think about replacing the radiator as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What miles are people getting out of their stock radiators?

I assume mine is original with 166k on it. Dealer flushed coolant when I bought it 4 months ago (no change) and I have already done the tranny cooler bypass. I thought about just replacing it, but it seems to be doing its job just fine and appears in good shape still, but I do realize that I cannot speak for the internals of it.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP
What miles are people getting out of their stock radiators?

I assume mine is original with 166k on it. Dealer flushed coolant when I bought it 4 months ago (no change) and I have already done the tranny cooler bypass. I thought about just replacing it, but it seems to be doing its job just fine and appears in good shape still, but I do realize that I cannot speak for the internals of it.
got 165k out of my OEM, just replaced with KOYO last month out of fear of milkshake.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM

Now Im all worried..... Damn.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLin9383
got 165k out of my OEM, just replaced with KOYO last month out of fear of milkshake.
Yea, but mines already been bypassed so I'm not worried about the big pink disaster.

I hate to replace things when they are not broken, but at the same time I dont want to have any issues.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 85 PICKUP
Yea, but mines already been bypassed so I'm not worried about the big pink disaster.

I hate to replace things when they are not broken, but at the same time I dont want to have any issues.
yea if you are already bypassed then i would just wait til it leaks or you start to notice you are overheating. i did mine because i was overheating and i figured since im at it, i'll go ahead and replace the radiator while i bypass.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bumping an old thread here I know, but does anyone else on YT have a KOYO radiator with some decent miles on it? I don't like to put stock in a review that says "2 months and still going strong!", that doesn't really say anything about longevity. Since this thread is a couple years old, anyone want to give thumbs up or down to the KOYO? Thoughts?

I'll be replacing my radiator soon, just wondering if I should go with the cheaper KOYO or OEM (I have a dealer discount but it's still more than the KOYO)?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM

I have 70k on mine with no issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 PM

I know this is a KOYO thread, but I replaced mine with the autozone Spectra radiator over 3 years ago and it's still going strong. I believe there was at least 1 person on here that has had a problem with this brand, but mine is still doing good. I wanted to buy it locally since it has a lifetime warranty. Part #CU1998. Whichever one you go with, MAKE SURE YOU BUY OEM HOSES. I got the autozone ones and they leaked no matter what I did. OEM radiator hoses are worth the money.

*edit* here's the thread with the gy who had a problem with his autozone radiator
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...r-swap-236633/

Last edited by SRT4runner; 04-25-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 4Runner Radiator