Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 Runner vs. Competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Runner vs. Competition

I am looking to buy a cheap truck in the 5k range. So far, with all aspects considered, I am pretty set on and early 90's 4 Runner. What I was wondering, is with the independent front suspension, how do they compare to a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler in extreme off road situations. Honestly, how much worse/better is the 4 Runner than the Jeeps mentioned. I kind of like the solid axle in the Jeeps, but I like everything else about the 4 Runner better. Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Josh
Old 11-03-2002, 08:27 PM

Before I got my '91 4Runner I drove a '93 Jeep Wrangler, and I have not once regreted my decision to sell my Jeep. It seemed like a couple times a month I would have to spend $200-$500 to keep it running, and it finally ended up being not worth it anymore, so I took a loss on it and sold it and bought my '91. I can't speak from an offroading aspect on the Jeeps because I never offroaded my Jeep (hehe I know it takes away the whole concept of a Jeep ) I just didn't have time to. Although I have compared the offroading aspects of a stock '96 Jeep Cherokee (My uncle's) to my '91 4Runner (Before I added my Downey 1.5" Rear Coils, Custom Exhaust, and K&N FIPK Kit) and my 4Runner performed a lot better than his Cherokee (he kept slipping on everything, and had trouble going up some hills that I had no problem just cruising up).

I'd say that you should go for a 4Runner, you won't regret it, and it'll handle just about everything you can throw at it.

-Braden
Old 11-03-2002, 09:11 PM

Great, thanks a lot. I am actually not really considering a Wrangler, just a 4 Runner and a Cherokee. That is exactly what
I wanted to hear, the 4 Runner outperforming the Cherokee from someone who has driven both. Thanks for the opinion, I will continue to research as I save up some cash.

Josh

Old 11-03-2002, 10:34 PM

I haven't driven both, and there are definitely pros and cons to both (although there are very few cons with 4Runners from what i've seen ) There's a lot more aftermarket stuff available for Jeeps, but in my experience and my uncle's their reliabilty plain sucks You don't have to worry about reliabilty with a Toyota (not just 4Runners) it's really nice to go out and know that your truck will start, unlike when I was driving my Jeep and would pray every morning that it would start and take me to school. In the year I had my wrangler it died on me probably once or twice a month :mad:

And with my 4Runner it's only died on me maybe twice in a little over a year (only with one of those I wasn't able to drive it home or to a mechanic... My radiator cracked and I lost all my anti-freeze in the parking lot at school and had to be towed to the mechanic to get it fixed... hehe these Toyota Radiators are bullet proof it was 11 years old and just cracked )

So I would definitely go with the 4Runner. I Bought mine with 140k miles on it (I paid $8500... hehe I know I overpaid, but it's exactly what I wanted ) You could probably find a good Second Gen 4Runner (1990-1995) for around $7000 (depending on mileage) and don't be afraid to buy one that has over 120K miles and also be sure to get the VIN# and have a dealer run it to see if the Head Gasket has been recalled (it was a big recall, and if it hasn't been replaced, the dealer will do it for you free of cost) other than that you should be good to go

Good Luck With It!!! :beaver:

-Braden

*EDIT* Also don't forget that both my 4Runner and my Uncle's Cherokee were both pretty much stock (I had 31" tires and he had 30" tires) I'd really like to see how a heavily modded 4Runner stands up to a heavily modded Cherokee, i'd guess that they both would be fairly evenly matched judging from how observations on them stock.

Last edited by 91Runner; 11-03-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:49 AM

get a 4runner and do a axle swap. exensive i kno but yeh, yotas... they'll last forever. how about getting an older yota?
Old 11-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the reliability aspect has been covered so I'll tackle the off road question. If you really are going to do extreme rockcrawling, then the jeep GC will perform better. But I'm talking rubicon or fordyce extreme. Even the rubicon isn't that bad because lots of IFS 4runners and trucks run it all the time.

Absolutely stock, both trucks are about even. But, with a couple modifications, the GC will outperform the 4runner because of the SA.

The ifs 4runner is no slouch though. With some armor, a locker, and a mild lift, you can do the rubicon. Hell, an almost stock Xterra just did the rubicon.

If you're going to need the articulation, then get an 85 4runner or truck. That was the only year toyota offered a solid front axle and fuel injection.

Steve

(edit) oh, just re-read your post. cherokee, GC, same idea.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 11-04-2002 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:18 AM

Thanks fellas...very helpful information.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:41 AM

4runner and jeeps

Ive owned 87, 91 and 95 jeep cherokees. They were pretty good trucks and i wheeled um all alot. The biggest flaw of the 91 cherokee was the engine. The inline 4.0 6 cyl was originally a tractor motor. its a low rev'r with pretty good torque. The transmission had one of those economy/power switches but either way the tranny could never find the right gear. And over time this was a pain in the ass. Theyre pretty good trucks but dont compare to the recent 98 SR5 im driving.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 4runner and jeeps

I don't want to repeat what everyone else has said, but the Jeep's solid axle has it's advantages for rock crawling. However, most Cherokees use the Dana 30 axle in the front and the Dana 35 in the rear. These axles are exceptionally weak, nowhere near as strong as the Toyota driveline. Keep in mind that Cherokees are unit body, and just like my friend is experiencing, the bodies crack from off-road use and will eventually require replacement. Reduction gears for a Toyota can cost as little as $450. You have to buy an Atlas for a Jeep that costs $2499.

I had a Jeep Cherokee up until two months ago (work vehicle) and I can't say enough bad things about them. They aren't even comfortable to drive not to mention all the reliability problems. This might surprise you, but with the sway bars connected on both vehicles, the solid axle Jeep actually has less travel than my IFS. I have pics to prove it.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:35 PM

Thanks to everyone who has given some tips in here. I appreciate it greatly. I think a 4 Runner is the way to go, not just for off road but for reliability. I just wanted to get some opinions from owners and I sure did that. Nice site (the comment before this one, good stuff on there). Thanks again guys!

Josh
Old 11-05-2002, 05:37 PM

Nice site Robinood and Padlnbike. I just finished lookin at some of the stuff on them.

Josh