See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

3rd Gen Brake Upgrade - No more warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as core goes, if you have a 4Runner you don't have any Tundra calipers to give them. I think I'm correct in this thinking.

Last edited by drbeau; 09-15-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:45 PM

The guy at the parts counter will not know the difference from Tundra to 4runner calipers uless he is a fan of Toyotas and knows all his makes and models. I swapped my stock accord calipers for the larger V6 calipers and they had no idea, just dropped at the counter already in the box and got my core charge back.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM

My Write-Up

Thanks to socal98runner for the idea here. I did mine this weekend and they're awesome. I posted some pics and a write-up on my website along with what parts I ordered. Enjoy!

http://www.robk.com/4runner-brakes/b...placement.html
Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 PM

I think I'm going to try just eBaying my old calipers and seeing if I can get more than the core fee. The local junkyard wanted $125 each for pulled Tundra calipers, so maybe I can get more than $30 on the 4Runner ones
Old 03-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
Thanks to socal98runner for the idea here. I did mine this weekend and they're awesome. I posted some pics and a write-up on my website along with what parts I ordered. Enjoy!

http://www.robk.com/4runner-brakes/b...placement.html
hope you torqued the caliper bolts to the specific setting.

check it after a week of driving.

last thing you need is the caliper coming off while driving to relatives on THANKSGIVING day and you have another 200 miles to go....

btw, on 2nd gens with v6, the cross member bolts will substitute as caliper bolts...
Old 03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by desert whomper
could i get the tundra rotors that came with the 15 inch rims for my pickup?
Probably not. Tundras are 6 lug, yours has 5 lugs.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by hafftrak
Probably not. Tundras are 6 lug, yours has 5 lugs.
AFAIK, toyota trucks has had 6 bolts since well... 80s, maybe even older.

bolt pattern has been the same. backspacing/offset may have changed.

only thing that prevents 15" rims are the size themselves.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:26 PM

Location: Ocean Beach, CA Five square miles surrounded by reality.
Originally Posted by socal98runner
BTW - If anyone in the San Diego / Temecula area would like to do this upgrade, let me know as I have a connection at Toyota to get you all your parts. PM me for more info!
you've got mail...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ldivinag
AFAIK, toyota trucks has had 6 bolts since well... 80s, maybe even older.

bolt pattern has been the same. backspacing/offset may have changed.

only thing that prevents 15" rims are the size themselves.

He asked about the '90s 2wd though, they are 5 bolt. The 4wd from that generation have 6 lugs.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:38 PM

ok, i just did this mod and have a few things to add to this thread that i was confused about. first off, heres the part numbers for the parts i installed...

Left loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11039

Right loaded caliper = Raybestos RC11040

Rotors = Raybestos 96931

note: the pics on the links for the calipers dont look like the actual part

so it was $340 total without tax. i searched for rotors and calipers for an '02 tundra V8...since i have an '02 4runner. so far they work great. no need to change brake lines or buy anything else.

as far as trimming the brake shield, at first i was confused what i needed to shave before i put the new calipers on. i wish now i would have taken a picture of the brake shield with the caliper off cause it would be really easy to point out what to trim. since i didnt i'll try to explain...while the pistons are larger diameter on the tundra calipers, the calpier iteslef isnt any bigger. what is bigger is the width of the brake pads. so, there is this about 1/4" wide section of the brake shield that sticks out that will block the inner edge of the brake pad from contacting the rotor. just cut or shave that off with a dremel and you'll be set. bolt on the caliper and manually slide the rear pad to make contact with the rotor to make sure it clears the brake shield once you shave it.

other than that it wasnt too bad, apart from getting the caliper bolts off. any other questions PM me...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Here ya go, Tundra vs 4Runner pads. I have others on
My Site

I'm still curious about actual improvemments. "Lots better" is difficult to quantify. I can see how using thicker rotors is better though. That, of course, would require the wider calipers.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

What's meant by loaded and unloaded calipers? Also, are remanufactured parts ok to use? Is it the same as rebuilt parts?
I also looked at ARI parts and they have the reman tundra brakes. Does ARI produce high quality products?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Umm...would it be wise to just NOT run a brake shield?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RoySharif
Hi,

What's meant by loaded and unloaded calipers? Also, are remanufactured parts ok to use? Is it the same as rebuilt parts?
I also looked at ARI parts and they have the reman tundra brakes. Does ARI produce high quality products?

Thanks.
A loaded caliper means it comes with a pair of brake pads already in the caliper, whereas an unloaded caliper would require buying a set of pads.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 PM

Umm...would it be wise to just NOT run a brake shield?
i thought about that before i trimmed it. then i looked at how the brake shield is attached and it looked like i'd have to take a bunch of other stuff off to get it off, so i just trimmed it. it's not too hard, took me like 5 minutes a side to trim.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 PM

This is for all of you who have done the mod

Now that you have had a chance to ride with these new brakes for a while what is your opinion after a few months of rolling on them?

Does the pedal feel any stiffer?

Is it more responsive? (i.e. Is there less pedal effort?)

I want to hear your driving experience thoughts on this because I am about ready to pull the trigger on this mod and add in a set of Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so if we were to bring our 4 runner calipers up to autozone or send them off to partsamerica.com, we would specify we needed the 231mm tundra calipers? are they marked like that?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 AM

So with newer vehicles like this I've always been a little hesitant to perform significant mods of this magnitude. Considering all the electronic crap that goes under the hood that I have practically no clew about, such as ABS and VSC in this case.

Can anybody think of, or does any body know of, negative factors that might be caused by the combination of this upgrade with the factory ABS and VSC that was "designed" to work with the factory 'runner rotors?

What about the front/rear braking bias? Do the upgraded rotors and calipers produce more friction vs. pedal pressure? Or are they simply more resilient to performance driving (less fade, warping, etc.)? The front brakes already seem to overpower the rears on my 01 'runner sport, especially when the rears are out of adjustment (too loose). I'd hate to perform this upgrade and have that be even worse.

It does seem like a sweet upgrade though. Six piston calipers up front would be nice.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM

ok, i've had these tundra brakes on for like 2 weeks and all i can say is it just stops better. i know thats probably not a good enough description for most people, but my runner has had warped rotors pretty much since i bought it in jan. 05 so i don't really have a good frame of reference for comparison. basically when i put the pedal down to stop it feels like i slow down faster, stopping distances are decreased, and the pedal really doesnt feel any different than before.

honestly, my main motivation in doing this was so that the rotors would be less prone to warping in the future becuase the tundra rotors are thicker. the better braking performance was a bonus.

i've had no problem with ABS or VSC, and i have been in situations where they have activated since i did the swap.

as far as front-rear braking bias i havent noticed any difference.

BTW...the tundra calipers are also 4 piston, but the pistons are bigger than the 4runner calipers
Old 10-04-2005, 11:37 PM

Glad to hear that it's working out for you! I am going to be doing this along with the goodridge G-Stop Sainless brake lines. Gadget tells me that this is a good way to firm up the pedal feel and well, I trust his judgement. He has documented a lot of good information for all of us 4Runner drivers out there.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Brake Upgrade - No more warped rotors