Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

3rd Gen, 3.4 Auto starter removal write-up (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is a Video on this Denso contact replacement -http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM

So far, this is the most useful thread for starter issues that I could find so I'll post my question here. Also this thread was buried and deserves a much needed bump!

I'm have a no crank, no start issue with my '99 4Runner 3.4L 2WD Limited. Only when I smack the starter itself with a hammer do I get a start out of her, unless it's below freezing then forget about it. Onto the question finally...

Since I don't even get any clicks, do I need to replace the contacts and plunger or go ahead and replace the whole starter?

I'd love to not only keep the quality OEM Toyota parts to my car but it's a decent cost savings to repair rather than replace. Thanks for your input and I look forward to any insight possible!

BONUS: Can I trust the eBay starter repair kits or just go to the stealership?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:15 AM

Thank you for the write-up and cheap fix on the starter! Much appreciated.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason B
Ok, well, I did what Adam F said, and just unbolted the starter and did the repair with the starter still in the vehicle! No need to take it out of the vehicle. Not bad at all! The trick is unclipping the mud flap guards in the inner passenger fender, then smooth sailing. Took 2 hours. I got the contacts at my Toyota dealer. They had 3 different styles, and I just bought two of each, and returned the ones I didn't use.

After unbolting the starter bolts (use 2 long extensions 6" or more with 1/2 drive/and the largest ratchet you have with swivel, remove the trans stick, unbolt the brakeline), you can twist the started around to face the passenger side wheel well. This lets you remove the 3 bolts on the solenoid cover:

With cap off. The bottom contact is the one that wears out and the one that everyone is replacing:

I only replaced the bad contact, as the other was barely worn. Comparo of old and new contact. Crazy how much the plunger dug into it over time:

Next, I put some brake cleaner on a rag and wiped out the inside and installed the new contact, on bottom in photo:

After two hours, this is what I was left with:

Remember, you DO NOT have to remove the starter to do this repair.
Originally Posted by stevomcgee

Since I don't even get any clicks, do I need to replace the contacts and plunger or go ahead and replace the whole starter?

I'd love to not only keep the quality OEM Toyota parts to my car but it's a decent cost savings to repair rather than replace. Thanks for your input and I look forward to any insight possible!

BONUS: Can I trust the eBay starter repair kits or just go to the stealership?
Replace from dealer! Quality is probably the best, and just replace contacts and you'll be good for another 10 years.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
MVP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the write ups and improvements to the original post. I just got done reading all six pages, and am ordering a rebuild kit soon.

Mine is the no click circumstance. Turn key, all lights come on and work, but no click even though battery comes in at 12.4v on the meter.

Time to get dirty this weekend...
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did mine without removing the starter. Unbolted it and spun it around. All access from passenger wheel well.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM

2000 4Runner Starter Contact replacement for Manual Transmission

I wanted to share my experience with doing this starter contact replacement after reading through this thread, as well many others available online. Obviously, having a manual (i.e. 5-speed) transmission makes it a bit easier as you don't have to deal with the auto-trans dipstick tube removal and you have a bit more room in the area where the transmission is located.

A couple observations for those wanting to do this starter contact removal/repair

1) I was able to do the starter removal (complete removal...i.e. out of the vehicle) without removing the front passenger tire like others have. Yes, removing the front passenger tire makes it easier, but having a jack stand/jack in its place hinders access in my opinion; more so than the actual tire If you leave your front passenger tire on, you'll want to make sure you have your front wheels cranked driver side as much as possible (gives you the most room).

2) The only connections/parts I had to remove to get the starter out (besides the starter itself) were the following: passenger side mud/splash guard with plastic clips, 2 bolts holding the brake line in place in 2 places, 3 bolts holding the exhaust bracket, one bolted positive starter connection and one plastic clip-style electrical connection, and finally the two bolts holding the starter in its place (one long, one shorter).

I've incorporated some photos which show various items, such as the bolted connections, how I oriented the starter to get it out of the passenger side wheel well, as well as the starter itself.

Hopefully this helps you out. I found that by looking at all the posts about the 3rd gen 4Runner starter contact replacement that you they vary somewhat about what the 'best' way is. I pretty much used a mixture of the suggestions, FYI. Please let me know if you have any questions

Doing this fix saved me about $500 (quoted $525 for parts and labor for a new "lifetime" warranty starter). Like others have said, it's worth your time to fix this yourself...you learn about your vehicle and you save a bunch of coin!

Starter with replacement plunger and contacts installed!

Starter with worn contacts (bright copper color) visible. Plunger removed.

Shot from below showing exhaust bracket removed. You can see the two bolts that hold the starter to the transmission.

Shot from below showing exhaust bracket in place.

View of starter being removed with front tire on, brake line moved, and mud/rainguard out of the way.