Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

3rd Gen, 3.4 Auto starter removal write-up (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter

yea, I have that manual. It does not go into any details for taking stuff off the truck.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 AM

I'd like to stress the importance of replacing your starter contacts if you occasionally get the "click". My plunger got welded to my starter contacts last night when trying to start my 4Runner to leave on a trip to a remote lake. I turned the ignition key to, "Off" and the darn thing kept on cranking. I had to run into the garage for a 10mm wrench, pop the hood and pull the negative battery cable before the starter cooked itself. I had been getting the, "Click" for about 1 month.

Don't put this off! This can burn out your starter at the very least, and burn down you car at the very worst.

-Dan
Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Another successful starter contact replacement!

It was cake after reading this write-up. It would have been a nightmare if I'd gone at it blind.

As others have said, the hardest parts are getting a good angle on the bolts holding the starter, and the exhaust bracket. It's just a matter of having the right tools.

I didn't realize I'd have to move the brake line so much to get the starter out. Hope I didn't weaken the lines ?

Also, if you have an auto tranny, you'll have to remove the top end of the dipstick line, which is just one bolt.

Thanks for the awesome write-up. It was 2 hours well spent and $300-500 I didn't spend on a new starter installation at the dealer

edit: oh, and by the way, I got the starter contact replacement kit on Ebay from clickerfixer (Hyatt's Auto Electric) for about $30.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Alternat...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 07-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Excellent write up, saved me a lot of time and money. My contacts went out at 189,000, and now that they are changed it starts even better then before. Over all for parts (contacts came from 4crawler Offroad, a good deal) and a few other accessories i spent $30 to fix my 4runner, ill take that any day over a $100 parts store rebuilt. To those of you like me who are having a very difficult time with the ATF dipstick tube, it doesn't have to be removed, i was able to weasel my starter out past it by moving it to the right. Again great repair guide, thanks.

I would also like to add Do Not always trust auto parts stores test machines! I took my starter to autozone and got it tested before ordering new contacts, and it tested good. So I took it to advance auto and got it tested again, and it tested good. But to me the contacts looked like they had to be the problem, so i went with my instincts, and it turned out good for me.

Last edited by Drumr4life88; 08-19-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm having the same issue, BUT, when I turn the key, it only clicks once, one click. Then I turn off and try again, one click. After 10 times it started.

Did you guys have constant clicking when trying to start, or one click (per key turn) like mind is doing.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM

One click per turning key to "start". Yours are almost gone completely. I would change them ASAP if it were me. 10 times before it starts is a lot. I had maybe <1 mm left when mine clicked 7 or 8 times before starting.

Last edited by stir_fry_boy; 08-19-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 AM

I paid $12 for the plunger and new contacts at the nearby armature repair shop. Reused everything else. No problems. Best $12 I ever spent instead of $300 for a new starter and $80 to rebuild not including labor to take it out.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
One click per turning key to "start". Yours are almost gone completely. I would change them ASAP if it were me. 10 times before it starts is a lot. I had maybe <1 mm left when mine clicked 7 or 8 times before starting.
What's funny is, it was always only 1 click per key turn that it would do. I started this a few months back for a few days, then stopped and was fine. Now it just started up again, but now it's multiple key turns.

WHo's close to Harrisburg, PA to help me with free beers and food?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM

98LimitedCustomized, could you repost the picture from photobuck? Thank you

Last edited by mdl1990; 11-08-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Geez....just did mine...what a pain in the butt to get the starter out once it was loose! I actually got it loose last Saturday and worked for about an hour trying to get it out. I finally decided to look online and did not find this thread or any others that showed how to remove it. I decided to loosen the brake line and was able to get it out. Took it apart and replaced the contacts...then decided I should have ordered the plunger too. I didn't want to do this again for a while! So I order the plunger...took about a week because the dealer screwed up...Drove my Jeep in the meantime.

Man did I miss my 4Runner. I love my Jeep, but only with the top off, or the hardtop on...the soft top just irritates me. I put it all back together today...but had a little trouble getting it back through the hole in the wheel well. Started it up and it sounds like a new starter! Only thing I broke was one of the clips that holds the rubber cover over the brake like entrance...oh and the little rubber drain thing that sticks out of the starter motor...it broke off...think I will super glue it.

I've had the worst luck with my two Toyota SUV's. 2000 4Runner water pump went out at 60K miles, freeze plug at 70K miles, and starter contacts at 80K miles....still on original brakes. My 2005 Sequoia water pump went out at 40K and front brakes worn out at 40K miles. Also had the dead rear door issue on the Sequoia (wiper, defroster, window all dead)...fixed that myself since it was after warranty.

Gonna be sore tomorrow...mainly my neck...I'm getting to old for this stuff! But I guess if Favre can do what he did today...I can fix my own starter.

Man cbodom...that thing is rusty! Where do you live? I have a 2000 with no rust on anything....I bet yours was a major pain to loosen.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 01-17-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone near Harrisburg, PA that wants to help me do this?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM

98 limteded

i went through this same problem before.. well i was just the neighbor to the rescue.. if thats what you wanna call it.

my nieghbor was moving a few years back and the day he was supposed to move.. click click no start.

well everthing exactly like you said.. i think i used a assort ment of 2 10 inch ext. and maybe a universal to un bolt the starter... so i got the starter out no problem .. ya it was a pain.. to get the solenoid wire out of the connector with one hand all twisted up in there.. but i managed to get.. it took me 10 minutes to get the starter unbolt while my neighbors were wrestling with it for about 4 hrs i think.. they were pissed when i unbolted it so easly.. but then they were so pissed about it when the couldnt get the starter out becuase of the sway bar.. i didnt do all the work for them .. but i sure do remeber seeing the look on their faces after i got it out so easliy..
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Well. It looks like it's my turn for the solenoid fix. Last week I experienced the famous "click". It occurs about once a day. I think I will buy my kit from Checker Auto Parts. They list it for $17.99 complete with plunger and all contacts.

I haven't looked at access, but I have TRD headers. Anyone do this repair that has headers??

Paul
Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM

What happened to me was, i ignored the clicks and managed to start her up but couldn't shut the engine off with the key. If you're getting clicks, now's the time!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM

i have that problem...turn key and just click..but all lights and stuff works..i dread having to do this b/c i hate working with rusty bolts. im too weak lol.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bak3rme
i have that problem...turn key and just click..but all lights and stuff works..
My wife's '00 4Runner just started experiencing this very problem. Turn the click and just one click is heard and nothing happens. All lights still work. (Battery was just replaced a couple months ago.) Turn the key back off, turn it again and the engine starts. This has happened to her at least half a dozen times in the last 4 days.

Going to attempt to replace the starter contacts & plunger this weekend. Oh joy.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Its not too bad of a procedure, of course when I swapped out starter contacts in the beginning of October the whole suspension was out nearly on the passenger side which made things a lot easier. Just to note though, may be a cause of these cold fronts coming and going here but the symptoms are coming back for me to, a few times in the last couple of days. Maybe the starters finally getting to that age
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I still haven't fixed mine yet, and I can say the cold weather seems to make it worse. In the summer I didn't have any issues, but as soon as it gets cold, click, click, click, then start.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, temps have been in the thirties & forties most of the week here. Starter was working fine up until now.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 02-10-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Just finished my starter contact replacement on my wife's '00 2WD 4Runner. Total time was exactly 1:45. Huge help was that her 4Runner is 2WD.

I did not have to unbolt the aft fill tube bracket at all. Did not even have to unbolt the power steering lines. I just removed the 2 bolts holding the brake lines to better access the starter.

I was able to drop the starter straight down and thru the lower A-arm. Painless process.

Here's a list of the tools I used to remove the starter:

3/8 Ratchet
20 inch extension
8mm socket (remove starter cover to access contacts)
10mm socket (remove battery cable)
12mm socket (remove power cable on starter)
14mm swivel socket (remove starter bolts)
12mm open ended wrench (remove hidden brake line bolt)
Flat head screwdriver (to pop connector apart on starter)

Name:  starter.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  61.5 KB

Here's a shot of how I removed the nut holding the power cable on:

Name:  starter2.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  46.6 KB

Lowering the starter:

Name:  starter4.jpg
Views: 3995
Size:  51.6 KB

Straight out thru the lower A-arm:

Name:  starter6.jpg
Views: 3271
Size:  41.4 KB

Starter out. Notice the brake line bolts removed to better access the starter:

Name:  starter7.jpg
Views: 6310
Size:  63.6 KB

Again, starter removal and replacement is a a breeze on a 2WD. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen, 3.4 Auto starter removal write-up (pic heavy)