Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L Turbo Kits coming soon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
I'm knocking on his door... gimme, oh, 2 more weeks and I may be past him. We'll see.
Sweet! That will be something else, with that much power and the S/C, i am sure you would get a pretty good jump on me off the line - don't know that I would be able to catch up!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Good luck with that venture. No reason why you can't. I did nothing "special".
I know... it's more of just a fun thing between you and I with bolt-on stuff.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Videos...I want to see videos!!!! Your 3 rigs running would be sweet!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

I should be up in Sea-town around the 4th of July. That would give you both plenty of time to prepare for SIR.

Or, you can both just race down the Kirkland strip.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA
Videos...I want to see videos!!!! Your 3 rigs running would be sweet!
I'd put mine on a dyno after the next add-on, but I need the VB work to run it at the strip. (The "SIR" that Christian refers to above is "Seattle International Raceway", which is now "Pacific Raceways", which is the local dragstrip)

Last edited by midiwall; 05-01-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
I'd put mine on a dyno after the next add-on, but I need the VB work to run it at the strip. (The "SIR" that Christian refers to above is "Seattle International Raceway", which is now "Pacific Raceways", which is the local dragstrip)
Hey Mark, if you can get your next "add-on" done within a week or so I could probably get us a good deal on a dyno session at carb connection. We I am trying to get some dyno time this week but it is looking like next week might be more realisitic. Let me know!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Hey Mark, if you can get your next "add-on" done within a week or so I could probably get us a good deal on a dyno session at carb connection. We I am trying to get some dyno time this week but it is looking like next week might be more realisitic. Let me know!
'k... I know that CC also does "group deals". A few of us headed over there a couple of years ago to take advantage of that. The downside is that the lower rate doesn't get you tuning time, just a couple of passes on the dyno.

I dunno that I'll get to it this week - I have some issues of where to "fit" it and I have a small electronic circuit to build and install in order to "support" it.

{oh how I love to tease!}

Bottom line - PLEASE don't wait on me Gregg! Go run that thing out!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greedy
One downside, however, is that I cannot run full synthetic oil anymore as the turbo requires dino oil or a blend (synthetic gets past it's seals).
Greedy,
Hmm. I am curious as to why you say that. Did someone recommend that?
It doesn't jive with the three previous turboed vehicles that I have had.
All used synthetic and did not have any oil issues with the seals.

Scott-

Last edited by elnip; 05-01-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by elnip
Greedy,
Hmm. I am curious as to why you say that. Did someone recommend that?
It doesn't jive with the three previous turboed vehicles that I have had.
All used synthetic and did not have any oil issues with the seals.

I was told this by Speed Factory. I guess that when my truck was started up, it blew out a big puff of smoke caused from a little bit of oil in the down pipe. He said that the Garret turbos are known to do this with full synthetic oils. He has swithed me back to dino oil though and the problem has gone away.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, I haven't had a Garrett turbo. All three were Toyotas('86 4X4 22RET, and 2 '87 Supras) I would prefer the added thermal stability that the synthetic provides.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by elnip
Interesting, I haven't had a Garrett turbo. All three were Toyotas('86 4X4 22RET, and 2 '87 Supras) I would prefer the added thermal stability that the synthetic provides.

Me too. I know that there are compromises with every mod you do and this is one of them.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

i want to see some of this stuff you guys are talking about, all this power that i dont have but will one day hopfully
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM

OK, its me.. Ricky from Speedfactory. I finally got on here! Ok so to clear up a few things..... you CAN run synthetic with any turbocharger.. makes no difference. I just switched him to a preferred oil of mine. Im some cases, I have seen synthetic oil creep past turbine seals because it can get into places that conventional oils dont...which can include past turbocharger seals. The CARB legalization process is quite nerve racking from what I have heard.... so I guess the kit will be for "off road use only" for you guys then... wink. We switched around alot of parts in the beginnning of making these kits..... so just to make it clear what the final kit includes, it uses the following:

Master Power T04 Turbocharger with .68 a/r turbine, P-Trim turbine wheel, T04E compressor, Comp. a/r .50.

Greddy type RS BOV, ran open atmosphere (so you can hear it )

TIAL 38MM External wastegate.....This is what Greedy was talkin about would be re-routed into the exhaust system downstream.... If you have ever heard an external wastegate....youd know why it should be routed into the exhaust..heheh.

The manifold is made of Schedule 40 stainless steel and is TIG welded to the laser cut mild steel flanges.....bulletproof (nothing worse than a cracked manifold, trust me). and it is also braced for additional strength.

So Greedy's runner is a monster... but I ran into an issue today of the A/T oil temp light coming on, when nothing to do with it was even touched.... so as soon as we can figure that out, its to the dyno!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Is there any testing being done to have a lighter turbo kit?

Maybe run 6 psi or so? 10 is a bit much for what I'd need. I'd just like to have a bit more power with minimal fuel upgrades.

Don't know if you'd think of that, but doing an economical turbo kit would probably appeal to a lot of people. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't want to spend a lot of money and go balls out.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
Is there any testing being done to have a lighter turbo kit?

Maybe run 6 psi or so? 10 is a bit much for what I'd need. I'd just like to have a bit more power with minimal fuel upgrades.

Don't know if you'd think of that, but doing an economical turbo kit would probably appeal to a lot of people. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't want to spend a lot of money and go balls out.
Same here.

Would there be anyway to run regular fuel instead of premium?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:58 PM

The kit isn't not designed to be a "balls out turbo kit".....if that was the case I probably wouldve used a 3 inch downpipe, bigger turbo, etc. I honestly dont think you would be too happy with a "low boost" turbocharger kit.....It wouldnt make it any cheaper, the only difference between 6 psi and my kit would be a softer wastegate spring, which ultimately would lower the boost. But on lower boost you would still need all the same components to go along with the turbocharger. This kit is designed with all types of people in mind (2wd tacomas, 4x4 tacomas, 4 runners, etc. Whether they want to race, tow, or just daily drive, this will do it....But if you want to run lower boost, you can...hope that helps
Old 05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

I know this question shouldnt be associated with performance, but what kind of MPG would we be looking at with this?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 AM

hey, thats a perfectly legitimate question. since the turbo only truly works when you need it, it is very fuel efficient out of boost, especially when compared to the TRD supercharger.....thats one main reason I love turbos so much more. plus they are alot easier on the engine.... I am not sure on some exact MPG because I boost on mine ALL THE TIME... heheh
Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Any word on the cost of this kit? Seems like every 4runner and taco board on the internet is buzzing right now. If you guys can make this kit a good price there is going to be a lot of turboed out trucks around the country. BTW, Greedys has an intercooler but I didn't see it in the list. Is the intercooler part of the kit as well or just an option. Plenty of room behind the big sport bumper! Keep up the good work and waiting to hear the dyno results!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM

Ricky; what are you running in Gregg's truck for injectors? 305's, 318's? Larger?

Quick Reply: 3.4L Turbo Kits coming soon!