3.4L Turbo Kits coming soon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bring On The Power
Old 05-01-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Dude, that is tight! You should give Mark a call and let him know about this (if he doesn't know already). I bet he would love to attend that dyno session. Plus, I want to see a vid after you hit Carb Connection.
{peek-a-boo!}

Yeah.... dang Greedy decided that he was gonna jump around me and ditch the S/C world for TC.

ARGH!

Okay... On to making more power with this lame arse S/C.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM

I hope they reconsider on Califorina (CARB). Huge market here.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the price of fuel these days. Does a turbo help or hurt MPG?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

No wonder C.A.R.B. certification is tough and expensive. Check this out.

It appears to me based on the link that the more the engine parts are "tampered" with (for example air filter, cams, head, exhaust, etc.) the more difficult C.A.R.B. certification would be. So, ideally, a turbo kit with minimal "intrusion" on engine parts would be ideal. Not sure if this kit falls into that category or not.

Obviously if the market is big enough, the expenses would be worth it. One step at a time though.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
{peek-a-boo!}

Yeah.... dang Greedy decided that he was gonna jump around me and ditch the S/C world for TC.

ARGH!

Okay... On to making more power with this lame arse S/C.

Hey mark! Yeah, it was just too tempting an opportunity to pass up. Don't get me wrong, I loved my S/C and the extra power it was making. However, ater the fuel mods went in, i was still only putting about 240hp to the wheels. I figured that with headers, aquamist, smaller pulley and a test pipe, I would top out around 270 ish - which for the ~$2000 it would have cost me didn't seem like enoufgh gain. I can't really specualte what this Turbo set up will produce with my auto, but SpeedFactory's Taco was putting down 340 RWHP at 10lbs of boost! Another guy with a 2wd taco was at 384 RWHP at 12 lbs! I think that the stock internals and drivetrain will start to come apart before we can stop making power with this set-up. I will post up my dyno results as soon as I get them!!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

^ holy cow! In addition to awesome numbers, you get the turbo sound. I definitely like the turbo sound better than the SC'r whine. But that's just me.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM

Yeah, the turbo sound is growing on me for sure. I was worried about losing my low end power by ditching the S/C but the turbo we used will be fully spooled by ~2600 rpms! The torque that I will be getting right away like that is going to feel crazy....
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Yeah, the turbo sound is growing on me for sure. I was worried about losing my low end power by ditching the S/C but the turbo we used will be fully spooled by ~2600 rpms! The torque that I will be getting right away like that is going to feel crazy....
Dude... STRONGLY think about moving to a different torque converter. I'm now running the one that Gadget describes on his site, and being able to connect power to the road at a higher RPM is QUITE the experience. (but it burns fuel!)

Gadget's babble:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Transmis...e%20Converter:

The bad news is that Level 10 wants $600 plus YOUR core (i.e., you ship, they mod, they ship back) to do it.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:58 PM

Dude... STRONGLY think about moving to a different torque converter. I'm now running the one that Gadget describes on his site, and being able to connect power to the road at a higher RPM is QUITE the experience. (but it burns fuel!)

Gadget's babble:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Transmis...e%20Converter:

The bad news is that Level 10 wants $600 plus YOUR core (i.e., you ship, they mod, they ship back) to do it.

Thanks Mark, I will check it out for sure. $600 dosen't seem too bad if it is going to prevent more problems down the road...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

ok so "IF" Im getting this correct:
S/C =is gonna get more power at lower, rpms, takes only premium fuel and is gonna cost around $3000 with all the "extra" stuff to make it run at its best.

Turbo = is gonna get more at about 2600prms can run either fuel, and cost about the same.

please dont take this the wrong, but why would I choose one over the other ?
please post up pros vs. cons on both.

I did do a search, but woow, lots, to much info.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Both take premium fuel. There are many pros and cons to each - and everybody has thier opinion on which one is better. Having only owned a S/C, I cannot tell you which one I personally like. Just do a search on google for "supercharger Vs. Turbo" and you will get a ton of info to read through. That's what I did to begin my decision making process on this turbo system.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Has turbo life really been extended with newer oiling technology? I remember the old days when Volvo turbos used to fry from oil coking. I assume they have improved the lifetime of them.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Thanks Mark, I will check it out for sure. $600 dosen't seem too bad if it is going to prevent more problems down the road...
Well, it's not so much a "prevent" (unlike the valve body work), it's more of a "get the most power to the road that you can, as soon as you can".

The powerband of the S/C really comes on around 3000 RPM, long past where the stock TC has locked up tight. The Level 10 TC "waits" until the RPMs come up farther before it locks up thus giving a driving experience of more power to the wheels "sooner". With the stock TC, the S/C has to spend a bit of time overcoming the engine bogged down before it hits deeper into the power band.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM

I hope so! I know that the turbo that is in this kit is a good one, don't really know what the life expectancy is though. However, it has a oil feed and return from the engine and therefore has "fresh" oil recirculating when every it is running. It also gets an oil change then every 3000 miles. One downside, however, is that I cannot run full synthetic oil anymore as the turbo requires dino oil or a blend (synthetic gets past it's seals).
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Well, it's not so much a "prevent" (unlike the valve body work), it's more of a "get the most power to the road that you can, as soon as you can".

The powerband of the S/C really comes on around 3000 RPM, long past where the stock TC has locked up tight. The Level 10 TC "waits" until the RPMs come up farther before it locks up thus giving a driving experience of more power to the wheels "sooner". With the stock TC, the S/C has to spend a bit of time overcoming the engine bogged down before it hits deeper into the power band.

Ahh, I see. Thanks Mark. I will put that on the "to do" list and start saving for it. Maybe we can take a spin in eachothers rigs so I can see how it feel and you can try out the Turbo
Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Do I see a race at SIR in the near future?

Place your bets folks!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Do I see a race at SIR in the near future?

Place your bets folks!

That's an awesome idea christian! All we need to to get TRDOLMAN out here too then with his 300 hp SC monster!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:08 PM

That's an awesome idea christian! All we need to to get TRDOLMAN out here too then with his 300 hp SC monster!!!!
I'm knocking on his door... gimme, oh, 2 more weeks and I may be past him. We'll see.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM

I'm knocking on his door... gimme, oh, 2 more weeks and I may be past him. We'll see.
Good luck with that venture. No reason why you can't. I did nothing "special".

Quick Reply: 3.4L Turbo Kits coming soon!