Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 TRD SC dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Still on the stock pulley? Power is pretty good, too bad it is not a dynojet so it can really be directly compared.

What is your timing? To figure you actual timing you have to read the OBDII timing and then subtract the timing retard from the URD.
I have bench marked my dyno with about 10 vehicles to match DJ numbers- which it seemed to do since day one when I got it about 8 years ago.

As for the timing map: my MAX retard is - 2.0º from base map. I have installed the IK24 plugs and did not need the rarther large amount of retard that came from URD. Im using 91 octane fuel with 10% E (what we get here in Colorado in the winter).
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kleemann1
I have bench marked my dyno with about 10 vehicles to match DJ numbers- which it seemed to do since day one when I got it about 8 years ago.

As for the timing map: my MAX retard is - 2.0º from base map. I have installed the IK24 plugs and did not need the rarther large amount of retard that came from URD. Im using 91 octane fuel with 10% E (what we get here in Colorado in the winter).
What was your actual timing as read on the OBDII? The ECU takes care of the retard above 3000rpm anyways. Really the URD timing retard is not needed above that at all unless your motor is REALLY knock prone for whatever reason.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM

What was your actual timing as read on the OBDII? The ECU takes care of the retard above 3000rpm anyways. Really the URD timing retard is not needed above that at all unless your motor is REALLY knock prone for whatever reason.
I have not checked it that way yet- Ive got an Innovate OT-2 that I can use to see- wont get to that today however.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have not checked it that way yet- Ive got an Innovate OT-2 that I can use to see- wont get to that today however.
Yeah, just check the OBDII timing readout when doing a WOT pull so you can see how much timing it is running.

I recently got an android app called "torque" along with a $25 Bluetooth OBDII scanner from amazon. Works great and is really simple. I like it better then my old Laptop based scanner for 99% of things.

Also lets you test 0-60, 1/4 mile times ect which is fun. Only complaint is the relatively slow response time of the OBDII scanner but I have that complaint about all the scanners I have tried.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Also lets you test 0-60, 1/4 mile times ect which is fun. Only complaint is the relatively slow response time of the OBDII scanner but I have that complaint about all the scanners I have tried.
The Innovate SW has a "dyno" function as well as 0-60. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Once I do Ill post the results. Very happy with the truck now- it solved my "holy h#@* this this is a slow heap" problem
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Where did you find one for the 3.4? All I see are ones for the 2.4L and 2.7L Tacomas.
I just ordered the "loose" universal 200 cell 7" bullet cat- not application specific. I believe that the ones that are listed as application specific are meant to be an OE replacement.

141-25000- 2-1/2" inlet/outlet on this page: http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html

I used the 5" diameter body.
Vibrant makes them as well:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1063
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Only good on Pre OBDII vehicles.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

The Innovate SW has a "dyno" function as well as 0-60. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Once I do Ill post the results. Very happy with the truck now- it solved my "holy h#@* this this is a slow heap" problem
I just looked it up, looks like basically the same thing I have, just 7x the price.

Curious if the refresh rate is any better. When doing the 0-60 test ect, if possible make sure it uses the internal GPS for the test and not the OBD readout. The results were never that accurate until I switched to GPS. Then they matched up with my Gtech almost exactly.

The supercharger really does make the truck much more fun to drive. Now just toss a 2.2 pulley on it and some meth injection if you feel like it and you can get some more cheap power.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM

I just looked it up, looks like basically the same thing I have, just 7x the price.

Curious if the refresh rate is any better. When doing the 0-60 test ect, if possible make sure it uses the internal GPS for the test and not the OBD readout. The results were never that accurate until I switched to GPS. Then they matched up with my Gtech almost exactly.
We use many of their products in the shop- so it was easy just to add it to the collection. Im sure the refresh rate has everything to do with the vintage of the vehicle- everything Ive used on it is slow slow- even at one channel.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM

As requested, 3rd gear- ran out of room before redline

Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, you say you are only removing 2 degrees of timing?

That is pretty good. What PSI are you seeing with the stock pulley? Are you at high altitude?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Wow, you say you are only removing 2 degrees of timing?

That is pretty good. What PSI are you seeing with the stock pulley? Are you at high altitude?
My altitude is 6,215 above sea level. I removed a max of 2º in areas below 3000 RPM with boost pressures over 1.0 psi- no removal over 3000 RPM. Nominally 6 psi.

If you look at 2nd gear run to the left of the trace line you can see that after about 4800 the ADV goes back down to approx 16º at redline. The pattern is repeated in every gear- and must be the root cause of the HP and TQ falling off at hi revs (that coupled with the VE of the engine whcih is why the timing retards as well). The IK24 plugs bought me at least 3º of advance vs the OE heat range plugs.

Last edited by kleemann1; 11-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

My altitude is 6,215 above sea level. I removed a max of 2º in areas below 3000 RPM with boost pressures over 1.0 psi- no removal over 3000 RPM. Nominally 6 psi.

If you look at 2nd gear run to the left of the trace line you can see that after about 4800 the ADV goes back down to approx 16º at redline. The pattern is repeated in every gear- and must be the root cause of the HP and TQ falling off at hi revs (that coupled with the VE of the engine whcih is why the timing retards as well). The IK24 plugs bought me at least 3º of advance vs the OE heat range plugs.
The altitude is a lot of the reason for the extra advance. Although the timing drop off up top is a little odd the powerband looks normal.

You could really use a 2.2 pulley, that should wake you up some more and you should still be plenty safe from knock due to your altitude even with 91oct.

Some meth injection really works wonders as well. With meth injection I saw timing as high as 23-24 degrees with a 2.0 pulley. But I was injecting a lot of meth.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM

The altitude is a lot of the reason for the extra advance. Although the timing drop off up top is a little odd the powerband looks normal.

You could really use a 2.2 pulley, that should wake you up some more and you should still be plenty safe from knock due to your altitude even with 91oct.

Some meth injection really works wonders as well. With meth injection I saw timing as high as 23-24 degrees with a 2.0 pulley. But I was injecting a lot of meth.
That just doesnt sound right, LOL

I will get the smaller pulley for sure. We use ERL (Aquamist) products at my shop- I may have to get a system in the old 4R....more $$ to spend!

Last edited by kleemann1; 11-16-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

That just doesnt sound right
LOL

It is Water/meth injection for anyone that doesn't know my trucks history.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

I will get the smaller pulley for sure. We use ERL (Aquamist) products at my shop- I may have to get a system in the old 4R....more $$ to spend!
Aquamist new stuff is good, the old stuff sucks. Only thing I don't like about them is the price, really expensive.

I personally use coolingmist for most of my meth injection needs. Cheaper and I have had great luck with their kits.

If you have the 7th injector you could get away with a simple stage 1 kit and save a lot of money.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Aquamist new stuff is good, the old stuff sucks. Only thing I don't like about them is the price, really expensive.

I personally use coolingmist for most of my meth injection needs. Cheaper and I have had great luck with their kits.

If you have the 7th injector you could get away with a simple stage 1 kit and save a lot of money.
Aquamist has always made really nice hardware IMO. The older magnetic pumps were odd/different, and the hardware that controlled them was not so intuitive to set up for most. The new gen stuff is very slick and easy to set up/tune- which I suppose it the point of technology advancement. I think I will just call this good- adding any more will just add complexity to the system (truck) and, by definition, it will be more prone to failure.

Last edited by kleemann1; 11-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

I had and saw SOOOO many reliability issues with the old stuff it was not funny, and it was always an expensive fix. To each their own. Since they started using modern pumps it has got much better.

The meth injection is a nice bonus, helps keep everything cool as the supercharger likes to get REAL hot. IAT's can easily get well over 200 degrees.

Many people just run a 2.2 pulley though, I did for awhile and it worked fine. Didn't make nearly the same power as with meth injection though.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Only good on Pre OBDII vehicles.
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1063_1326
Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 AM

DAMN! Expensive suckers- I paid $125 for mine, delivered.

Quick Reply: 3.4 TRD SC dyno