Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

2wd to 4wd conversion complete

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, and are 4runner and Tacoma parts interchangeable as well?

I think instead of trying to piece the stuff together, it'll be easier to find a wrecked donor vehicle, do the swap and then part out what I dont need. Of course, then I have to hope none of the parts were damaged.

But everything is basically bolt in correct? Nothing needs to be re-drilled or welded or anything?

My last car was an s2000, and I have swapped an engine, rear diff, tranny, done the clutch on them... so the technical aspect doesnt seem like it'll be bad at all.

So I would be able to keep my existing 2wd transmission, and just change out the bell housing/torque converter and be good to go?

As far as the knuckles/hubs... can you just swap the whole thing or do you have to swap over the hubs from the 4wd knuckles to the 2wd knuckles?

I have been looking around and the 4wd 4runners are not that plentiful in south FL. So thats why I am thinking it might just be easier to swap.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM

anyone??
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
96-99 4runners Drive trains are interchangeable with 96-2002 Tacomas IIRC.

Everything just bolts together with no major modifications except for the shifter and transmission crossmember. If you have a 4runner then you will need to modify the crossmember, if its a Tacoma then its just a simple swap.

If you want to use your original tranny for the swap then you will have two choices:
1. Using the inchworm adapter $$$$$$
2. Find a A340F 4x4 tranny main output shaft and swap that in place of your 2wd one which will require a complete teardown of the transmission

As for the knuckles/hubs there are quite a few options here and that will depend on whether you want automatic hubs or manual hubs.

Originally Posted by aero
Ok, and are 4runner and Tacoma parts interchangeable as well?

I think instead of trying to piece the stuff together, it'll be easier to find a wrecked donor vehicle, do the swap and then part out what I dont need. Of course, then I have to hope none of the parts were damaged.

But everything is basically bolt in correct? Nothing needs to be re-drilled or welded or anything?

My last car was an s2000, and I have swapped an engine, rear diff, tranny, done the clutch on them... so the technical aspect doesnt seem like it'll be bad at all.

So I would be able to keep my existing 2wd transmission, and just change out the bell housing/torque converter and be good to go?

As far as the knuckles/hubs... can you just swap the whole thing or do you have to swap over the hubs from the 4wd knuckles to the 2wd knuckles?

I have been looking around and the 4wd 4runners are not that plentiful in south FL. So thats why I am thinking it might just be easier to swap.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Hey guys, after I pay for this wedding thing I plan on doing the 4wd conversion. I've been keeping my eyes open for good deals on parts but i get worried not knowing the history of the trany/transfer case and front diff. Is there anything you can recommend I look for to know I'm getting good parts? I've talked to some guys here in vegas that were selling the a340f but they were total tools so I didn't feel very comfortable with buying their parts...
Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy
Hey guys, after I pay for this wedding thing I plan on doing the 4wd conversion. I've been keeping my eyes open for good deals on parts but i get worried not knowing the history of the trany/transfer case and front diff. Is there anything you can recommend I look for to know I'm getting good parts? I've talked to some guys here in vegas that were selling the a340f but they were total tools so I didn't feel very comfortable with buying their parts...
Another PreRunner conversion done in Georgia earlier this year, the guy took the 2nd-hand tranny/xfer case to a transmission shop and had them check it out... I didn't. Just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best :O

Go with your gut instinct. I passed on a couple tranny's for the very same reason... You may get a limited warranty if you purchase from a reputable salvage yard...

As for used parts, don't pay for anything sight unseen. At a minimum, get pictures of the actual parts.

Toyota transfer cases are pretty bullet-proof. Automatic tranny's do you proper maintenance for long life - check the existing fluid for color/smell. If necessary, drop the drain pan for a look at the internals - You'll probably end up dropping the drain pan anyway to connect the kick-down cable from the Intake manifold...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by iceman601

As for the knuckles/hubs there are quite a few options here and that will depend on whether you want automatic hubs or manual hubs.
ok... so if I want whatever comes stock for now...

would I be able to complete the swap if I had an 01 tacoma 3.4L for the donor 4wd stuff (knuckles/hubs), and would I be able to use the tacoma crossmember and not have to modify the 4runner one?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM

Pretty sure you can swap with an 01 4wd tacoma but you will still have two issues at hand.
1. Vacuum/Wiring for the ADD
2. No way of getting around the transmission crossmember. Stock 2wd location sits about a foot back so you can either go custom, budbuilt, or move the stock one.

Here is why:
Name:  crossmember.jpg
Views: 6814
Size:  63.4 KB
Old 10-10-2011, 02:12 PM

So does the budbuilt transmission crossmember bolt up to the stock frame?
I also didn't see a 3rd gen crossmember sold on his site. Ive heard you can call him up and have one built. Is this true?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Yes, it does....you just have to drill new holes to where you want it. I think they had it listed for Tacoma, he is a cool guy to deal with.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Good to know. I'm considering the conversion as I've found a rolled 96 4wd runner in my area for cheap, but I feel like this would be too time consuming for a college student and full time worker.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 PM

99 4runner 2wd to 4wd

hello everyone. i have been following this site as a guest for a long time. i am in the process of converting my 99 4runner from 2wd to 4wd. before anyone says sell it and buy a 4x4, NO! lol. i bought the rig new and dont want to sell it. i have already bought a 4x4trans and transfercase. i will be picking up a front diff with axles this weekend. my question is will the wire harness work with the new transmission and do i need to replace the computer to a 4x4 modle. also to anyone who has the fuel gauge issue i have been working on a affordable fix for the problem on&off over the past year. as soon as my ohm converting box is ready i will let everyone know about it. thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:13 PM

Will a 2wd transmission work if I put a transfer case on it
Old 11-30-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I haven't looked closely at a 2wd transmission, but I'm pretty sure the case is completely different than the 4x4. The 2wd tranny case will be one piece, tapering down to the back where the output shaft goes & attaches to the driveshaft. 4x4 tranny ends at a much larger, flat surface where you can bolt the t-case. Completely different housing.

BTW - Ten year old thread you resurrected!