Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4Runner transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the wires are separate. I ordered the NGK wires set from Carquest because autozone was out of stock.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The passenger side cylinders are fired by the coils directly on top of them (3). The driver side cylinders are fired from wires coming from each of the coil packs. So, each coil pack fires 2 cylinders. Usually when a coil pack dies, the miss is more pronounced and the CEL stays on and the code lets you know which cylinder is missing. The fact that it seems to be intermittently missing suggests a loose connection on one of the wires or just a bad/worn out wire. Replace them with NGK or Denso wires only (you only need 3 wires since the other cylinders are fired directly by the coil).
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Yeah, the wires are separate. I ordered the NGK wires set from Carquest because autozone was out of stock.
I'm gonna go by Napa tonight and get a new NGK wire set...swap it out tonight and see if that helps any.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a reminder.. Do one wire at a time so you don't get the order mixed up.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Just a reminder.. Do one wire at a time so you don't get the order mixed up.
Yep...one at a time. Even though I sound pretty non mechanically included when it comes to 4Runners...I do have a good deal of experience with classic Mustangs...(converted a C4 to a 5spd a few years ago).

I have good news!!
On the way home from work tonight and Napa getting new NGK plug wires...driving on the highway (I took the highway on purpose to see if I could get the CEL to come on again...) and the CEL came on and hesitation again. CEL was flashing so I tried to plug my pocket code reader in while driving!! Luckily CEL stayed on this time and I got a P0306 code! Checked my book when I got home and it says "cylinder 6 misfire."
Looking better for no trans issues!!

Edit: reading up on P0306 now...sure seems like it could be more fun trying to track this down!!
Edit2!: too cold out tonight...will try to get an earlier start tomorrow or turn the heater on in the garage! Maybe I'll pick up a new NGK oem plug also to replace in cyl 6 just to cross that off the list of things to check/replace.

Last edited by stangman39; 01-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 AM

Not sure if it's a good idea to only replace one spark plug. If it's been 30k or more you might as well just replace them all as part of preventive maintenance.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by gdutch
Not sure if it's a good idea to only replace one spark plug. If it's been 30k or more you might as well just replace them all as part of preventive maintenance.
True...can't really hurt to replace them all.

After all the reading I have done, with my luck I bet this may come down to a injector! Is the #6 cylinder injector one of the harder ones to swap out?

Last edited by stangman39; 01-04-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM

I am glad the code showed up for you again before removing the transmission pan.

Having never removed any injectors on the 4 runner, I can't say which one is the hardest but you do have to remove the manifold to get to them. If you go that route, you might as well kill two birds with one stone and change the driver's side valve cover if you plan to keep the 4 runner for a good time after the wedding.

Make sure to use NGK dual electrode plugs. You may want to dump in some fuel injection cleaner such as Redline ST-1 and then give the 4 runner an Italian tune up before tackling the injector to see if that will help with the problem....
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
I am glad the code showed up for you again before removing the transmission pan.

Having never removed any injectors on the 4 runner, I can't say which one is the hardest but you do have to remove the manifold to get to them. If you go that route, you might as well kill two birds with one stone and change the driver's side valve cover if you plan to keep the 4 runner for a good time after the wedding.

Make sure to use NGK dual electrode plugs. You may want to dump in some fuel injection cleaner such as Redline ST-1 and then give the 4 runner an Italian tune up before tackling the injector to see if that will help with the problem....
Spend 4 hours tonight working on the 4Runner! Where should I start!? haha!

NGK plugs...not pregapped...what a PITA!! I think they were gapped around 0.030!! Took some time getting them to 0.043. Removed all the Denso plugs I replaced around 20K ago...they all looked perfect.

Replaced all the plug wires with new NGK. The ones that were on must have been replaced b4 b/c they were Sumitomo brand! They had at least 80K on them since I have not changed them since I got the 4Runner.

Dropped in a bottle of Lukas injector cleaner.

Dropped the top bolt that holds the throttle cable bracket (the one with the big hook at the top) to the manifold into the engine bay...looked and looked...can't find it. I don't think the bracket will move tho.

Swapped the middle coil with the one closest to the bumper...probably should have figured out which one controls cylinder 6 before doing this haha!

After all that...the good news is it runs like a top! Seems much smoother. I took it on the highway and beat the crap out of it....no hesitation at all at any rpms.

Cross my fingers I fixed it!
Next on the list...new radiator everyone says to drop in to limit the risk of the strawberry milkshake in the trans!
Get rid of the annoying belt squeal on startup and when it rains.

Thanks for all the help! Really happy this looks to be a low cost fix!
Yes...I plan to keep the 4Runner awhile longer. It has been a great vehicle for me...I've really enjoyed it the last 4.5 years and 80K miles I've had it. May even get another some day or even a newer model.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by stangman39
Next on the list...
Get rid of the annoying belt squeal on startup and when it rains.
Well done on the new plugs and wires! No project goes exactly as planned, and you worked through it.

As far as belt squeal goes - good luck. Even new belts will chirp and squeak a bit when the air is moist. Not much you can do about it.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Qyota
As far as belt squeal goes - good luck. Even new belts will chirp and squeak a bit when the air is moist. Not much you can do about it.
Thanks. Even tho I was exhausted and dirty when done...it did feel nice to tinker again on a car. When I had my old Mustangs tinkering was stress relief for me!

The belt squeal hasn't always been there. It only started around a year ago...some days it is worse than others...worse after sitting overnight. Maybe I'll look to change the belt out soon and see if it helps.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

You may look at installing a separate transmission cooler instead of replacing the rad. I did it on mine and it's been great, plus it will extend the life of your transmission. Easy to install too, once you look up how to correctly remove the grill lol.