Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 JBL Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 JBL Upgrade?

Guys,

I am so sick and tired of my JBL system in my 03 SE. I am ready to take some action. I think the speakers can drive a lot more bass then they currently are. I am not looking to shake the car next to me at the stop light. However I am looking for a little better bump than it has. Does anyone have suggestions about upgrading the system. I am thinking that I could plug and amp into the system and make it sound a lot better than it currently is. I don't want to replace anything on the truck. I am leasing it and don't want to rip it up. Does anyone have suggestions?

Scott
Old 09-26-2003, 06:45 AM

Just wondering, why are you frustrated at your system? Is there a reason that you don't like it other than the bass issue? Does it sound good? Thanks! I am just looking for some info what I get my 4th gen. Thanks! :fireman:
Old 09-26-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Scott:

You can add an aftermarket radio with no problems (Plug and play, does not require custom drilling). Also you can even add an amp under the car seat to run the stock speakers too (just a matter or running the lines from the radio to the harness. also easy to do).

Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck. I'd say hit up one of the local car audio store and just do an upgrade. Have them make sure that you want to make it stock again after the lease is up and I'm sure they'll do a clean job.

BTOWN4RUNNER:

Some members has been having issues with the JBL. Specially the sound quality on it. I personally don't have it myself but I have heard of problems such as weak rear speakers and poor subwoofer sounds. Personally I feel that any stock radio including those that the mfg installs that quote "high performance audio" is a piece of crap. It's much cheaper to not pay for all the extra stuff that the mfg adds and just do your own custom audio stuff.

Lance
Old 09-26-2003, 07:06 AM

The JBL system sounds thin and to be honest, doesn't get very loud.
Sure, it's loud when the windows are up... But, try driving out to the beach with the windows down and the sunroof open. It could use a better amp. In fact, I think a better quality amp would fix the system and is probably the only thing you would need.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM

I am very happy with the quality of the sound over all. It sounds as good as my friends Bose in his G35 Coupe. However when it comes to bass it weak! Plus if the windows are open going to the beach it is quiet. I can't even hear the sub whoofer working when it is on. For a 1000 option is should do better. I just think it is not getting driven hard enough. Wonder if the could hook an AMP up to see if that would make me happy. Any suggestions on an amp?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:29 PM

I thought it was rather weak sounding and short on bass as well. When I turned the "Surround" mode on, it improved dramatically. I'm very pleased with it now and it can shake windows with the best of them.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:36 PM

JBL STEREO EVALUATION

I like the JBL, no real complaints except the C pillar speakers are a bit faint. It is noticable on some types of music while not on others.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:01 PM

My rear speakers and subwoofer are VERY weak. I can not even tell I have a sub unless I turn the bass up to 5 and turn my fader towards the rear. From what I understand, there is a known problem with these systems, just no fix yet. There was a rather large thread about it on tundrasolutions.com, but I don't think it ever got any farther than figuring out that a lot of people have the same problem. I've heard of people getting new amps installed (at the dealership), and it still didn't fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:30 PM

2003 SE JBL 10 speakers.
This is my only real complaint about the 4runner other than not really made for a 6 ft driver. ( I guess not many in japan)
The stereo is just OK. Love everything eles about the 4 runner but stereo does suck a little. My stock stero in my old 1991 lexus LS 400 was much better. There has always been much better brands even in home audio than JBL. This stereo sounds like it belongs in the very botton line car or truck. Not terrible but hard to find another car or truck with a worse sounding system.
Would love to hear about if anybody trys to add just a amp. I want to keep the factory look also.
Hard to find a vehicle that that is 100% perfect but this item should have been easy for toyota to change.
If I have to lean the seat back a little like P Diddy, I should at least be able to crank the tunes up.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:22 PM

I read that test that some one posted that Edmunds did. I don't know if the head unit is any diffrent. Mine is so weak it is not even funny. I have tried turning off the surround and turning 100% of it to the back speakers. I also had the volume cranked all the way up. It was still weak. I have read the AMP is located under the subwhoofer. I am going to take it apart and see if there is a gain knob that I can turn up. Has anyone taken it apart?
Old 09-27-2003, 07:39 PM

My shop manual saids the amp beside subwoofer toward the front. Have to take the whole side panel of cargo area off. Bolts on floor under carpet then pull bottom out and then the whole panel up to take off.
I have not tried.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:29 AM

I did some more experimenting last night. If I turn my surround off, the rear speakers seem slightly stronger, but at a comfortable listening volume, the subwoofer is clipping pretty bad, and sounds terrible. I think I am going to make an appt this week to get it looked at.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:50 AM

Please keep us notified of any progress you have with the weak stereo problem. I, like many others here, are very frustrated with the sound quality and general weakness of the rear speakers in our 03 models. Anyone have an 2004? Is the stereo fixed? If so, then let's bug the hell out of our dealers until they either fix it or open a TSB on it!
John
Old 10-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by ScottSE
I read that test that some one posted that Edmunds did. I don't know if the head unit is any diffrent. Mine is so weak it is not even funny. I have tried turning off the surround and turning 100% of it to the back speakers. I also had the volume cranked all the way up. It was still weak. I have read the AMP is located under the subwoofer. I am going to take it apart and see if there is a gain knob that I can turn up. Has anyone taken it apart?
The amp is located actually on the molded plastic sub enslosure. Its all behind the lower trim section. You need to remove the split level load system if you have it and around 8 screws and remove the lower rear seat belt mount. You must also remove the rear door sill lower trim. Then panel just pops off like normal. Nice part is unlike 99, just the lower comes off making it a lot simpler....

Its about 12" x 6" x 1". There is no gain control

I will say what I said before, this thing has at best 200 Japanese Amps to drive 10 speakers including a sub.

The small sub in my 99 had 600W driving it so I don't expect any comparison. That being said, it is hands down the best stock system I have ever had. I like the large front speakers that give plenty of upgrade options and the fact that a better driver in the rear enclosure and some more power can give you a factory look with a much improved sound. Its a work in progress, I will update you all.

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 10-24-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:09 AM

Recently I installed a 12JLw3 into the stock system , and it does have more bass compare to the old Sub ,and sound quality does improve , for everyone who look for more Bass , what I did is I tap the speaker signal into the stock Sub, and the remote wire into the 12V plug next to the sub , and just hook up Amp to it .