86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

TRDevelopment's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well It's been a while since I posted. Not much updates on the rig, however I am gathering a lot of parts. I had some time at work to do a differential/gearbox service which needed it real bad. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by TRDevelopment; 11-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRDevelopment,

I would like to have your seats. I like the old SR-5 chrome rims, I had some on my old 84 xtra cab 4x4 SR-5, I like your 4-runner :}

Happy Thanksgiving :}
Old 11-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by john4wd
TRDevelopment,

I would like to have your seats. I like the old SR-5 chrome rims, I had some on my old 84 xtra cab 4x4 SR-5, I like your 4-runner :}

Happy Thanksgiving :}

Yeah luckily when I bought the truck the seats were somewhat in good condition. I pulled them both out of the truck and power washed them. They turned out pretty good!

I like the old SR-5 wheels (they also came with the truck when I bought it) but Im thinking about powder coating them matt black and then put a set of weld on OMF beadlocks when I do the SAS swap.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 PM

So I decided im going to go ahead and do the SAS. I ended up buying a solid axle housing that was cut for an e locker already from a buddy. I was going to piece together all the parts for the housing at a local junk yard but I couldn't find any yards that had a solid axle truck let alone one that they would let me part out the axle for parts. I finally found a truck with an axle but the junk yard didn't want to part it out so I bought the whole thing for $350 bucks.

Tore it all apart and cleaned all the parts up.

I also got a front diff armor and an axle truss from TG.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i hope a couple of those older pictures make their way to the hot chicks of YT thread
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by fork
i hope a couple of those older pictures make their way to the hot chicks of YT thread
lol ill be sure to do that for ya.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Just a little update. I got a chance last weekend to weld on the top gusset and the differential armor. All the welds were done by my buddy Nick (808nickh) and it turned out better then what I was expecting. Thanks again Nick! I just ordered the front gusset that goes from the diff armor to the to the top gusset from Daves Offroad. I also order the creeper gussets, Trunnion bearing eliminator and spring hanger kit and im waiting on all that stuff to come in.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting to look like a pretty solid solid axle.lol

You should put a link to your build thread in your signature.
-RONI-

Last edited by AssYriaNrocKer; 02-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by AssYriaNrocKer
Starting to look like a pretty solid solid axle.lol

You should put a link to your build thread in your signature.
-RONI-

Will do
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM

Nice! Did you notice an improvement with the dynomat installed?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Damn de! You've been busy on this truck! Lol. Coming along good man! I like it
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TOY89
Nice! Did you notice an improvement with the dynomat installed?
To be honest with you, I kind of did the dynomat install while the truck was not running. I really couldn't give you an accurate answer on weather it or not it quited it down. That being said, if you want my opinion I think it made a world of difference.

Originally Posted by 4Runnin2000
Damn de! You've been busy on this truck! Lol. Coming along good man! I like it

Yeah I have man, Its defiantly come a long way. Pictures on this forum do not do the rig justice. All I can say is I cant wait for the SAS. I'm going to be doing other things in the process like putting E locker's in the front and rear, 35" MTR Kevlars, Hydro Assist, and a bunch more. Should be a pretty solid truck after im done.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM

Progress...

D- Excellent job on the direction you're taking the rig. I've thought long and hard about doing the solid axle on my 97'. But it is my DD and would take away some of the reliability... Let me clarify: I would find bigger rocks to try and conquer thus, causing more damage. Anyhow, if you haven't already purchased armor for you rig (now it needs a name so we can refer to it properly) hit me up. I know the boss works with local guys on pricing. However, I'll donate my time so as to bring down the price a little more.

On another note: Did you ever figure out why the front wasn't engaging? Or was that not the problem at all? If its trailable, I'm trying to put together a run at WoodPecker on the 26th. I believe it's a Sunday. It is a fairly technical trail for a novice but would be a great one to improve on ones skill's. You would have a spotter and could follow my same lines...I'm open/open on 32's with a mild lift.

Oh yeah, Sub'd....keep up the progress and nice work.

-Ted
Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
'scribed
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by snowshredder555
D- Excellent job on the direction you're taking the rig. I've thought long and hard about doing the solid axle on my 97'. But it is my DD and would take away some of the reliability... Let me clarify: I would find bigger rocks to try and conquer thus, causing more damage. Anyhow, if you haven't already purchased armor for you rig (now it needs a name so we can refer to it properly) hit me up. I know the boss works with local guys on pricing. However, I'll donate my time so as to bring down the price a little more.

On another note: Did you ever figure out why the front wasn't engaging? Or was that not the problem at all? If its trailable, I'm trying to put together a run at WoodPecker on the 26th. I believe it's a Sunday. It is a fairly technical trail for a novice but would be a great one to improve on ones skill's. You would have a spotter and could follow my same lines...I'm open/open on 32's with a mild lift.

Oh yeah, Sub'd....keep up the progress and nice work.

-Ted
Thanks a lot Ted, When the time comes to armor my rig ill keep you in mind. I have not yet figured out what the problem is with the front not wanting to engage. To be honest with you im thinking it might have something to do with the front hubs not engaging. Hopefully when I get this SAS done it will fix the problem. I know its kind of shooting in the dark but if it doesnt fix it i will dive into it the problem and fix it. I just might take you up on the offer at Woodpecker. It would be the last time my truck will be IFS before doing the SAS. Not to mention a little more seat time never hurts. Ill give you a heads up regardless.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by TRDevelopment
Yeah I have man, Its defiantly come a long way. Pictures on this forum do not do the rig justice. All I can say is I cant wait for the SAS. I'm going to be doing other things in the process like putting E locker's in the front and rear, 35" MTR Kevlars, Hydro Assist, and a bunch more. Should be a pretty solid truck after im done.
Yeah for sure man! Can't wait to see it when its done! And im sure you're right! Maybe next time you guys go out ill tag along to check it out
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Got some more work done this past weekend. I hacked off the stock shock mounts and added creeper gussets. I also put in some 5/8 nuts on the "steering stoppers" to enhance there strength. As of right now im waiting on the TG inner axle seals, u-flip kit, and brake lines. I have everything else to do the SAS except for the shocks.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
ooh. snazzy.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 PM

D- ? for ya..

The axle truss', my concern is to much heat during the welding process. Though it looks like it was done with single tack welds the entire length, how and who did it for you? The correct method would be to stitch weld one small portion at a time on a different area of the axle each time, trying not to put to much heat in the steel to quickly. On another point, is the cooling process, to let it cool with ambient air temperature and avoid quenching it. If its quenched, the steel then becomes more brittle and looses strength. I hope this didn't happen for you...just concerned is all. I know this type of project is money and time expensive and would hate to see money lost with good intentions. I know the process on both welding jobs are GMAW/ MIG but it looks like there may have been 2 different people welding on it soley (spell check please) based on welding bead and profiles...but then again, 2 different types with in the same process. Anyhow, I'm super jealous you're gonna be joining the ranks of SFA YOTA wheelers. Nice progress report and excellent weak issue problem solving...I think its called "thinking out of the box". Hope you and Roni can make the next run and bring your girlfriends, which is cool they don't mind throwing in with some elbow grease, with you.

Sorry so Damn long!

-Ted

Quick Reply: TRDevelopment's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread