86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

thspittingllama's 1st gen 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
center consol

my center consol has been in desprate need of love so i knocked that out this morning. here is a before and after.
Name:  centerconsol1.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.1 KB
Name:  centerconsol2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  34.8 KB
i used a piece of black seat vinyl left over from a motorcycle seat i did a while back. i bought it at joanne's fabrics. im no pro at this but it doesnt look to bad. one more cheap fix holla!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM

just wanted to save this site for futer review. sway bar disconects look cool.

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/part...components.php
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM

trail run/ breakage? HELP!!!!!!!

so i have been meaning to update this, just been short on time. i ran into some issues last weekend trying to run the snakes.(a trail here in utah) My new front differential that i got from marlin crawler last month with the detroit tru trac failed!!! i got lost on the dirt roads trying to find the trail head, in hopes i would run into someone to run it with. (i was alone) when POP! CLANK CHATER CHATER DAMNIT! got out and my front driveline was lying in the dirt with the pinion flange attached to it, it was still conected at the transfer case. I was at just enuff of an up hill angle to loose almost all of my new lukus synthetic 90w. i just changed the break in fluid out 2 weeks ago. ERRR. well it seemed my day was already over, so i tyed the driveline to the frame and started to the road in 2high. just as i got to the road two toyotas came off the pavement, I asked them if they knew where the trail was and they said they were going to run it, and invited me along. so i tagged along. im broke but at least im not alone. so i followed them all the wat through rattleswmake in 2 high! got to waynes world and there was a bunch of guys trying to get through. I watched them for a while and was just about to head home when they invited me to run constictor with them. (mostley cuz i had beer left over from camping the night before) So they helped me take my drive line off so i at least had 2 low. went up the bypass of waynes world and followed them through constrictor. i made it most of the way up, but got beatten by the obsticle that goes between two trees maybe 20yrds before the big obsticle that turn you hard left, from there its a straight shot 50yds to eagles nest. bummed i couldnt get to the top due to breakage but stil surprised i got that far. had a good time though, but very frustrating being broke due to some thing i didnt do! if i broke cuz i was being stupid..... i can handle that, but this sucked! called marlin crawler and they want me to tear it out and ship it back to them. they said they will pay for the shipping fix it and send it back but i still have to do all of that work again! i just hope thay come through for me. trying to be positive but i pulled the drain plug last night and there is some pritty big chunks of metal that came out of it. the passenger side cv wont turn either. so i cant get all of the bolts off! this is going to cause serious problems getting it out! errr! i had to pull the rear back out as well when i first got it because the damn air locker was leaking. awrr sorry now im just venting. lol i really dont want rebuilt crap put back in my truck. i paid for new and perfict and thats what i want! Looks like the pinion flange nut backed off, not sure if it wasnt torqued or the crush sleve/ lock nut was right. it had probably been backing out and unballenced since i first put it on. i never noticed anything before. other than a slight whine when i was in 4wd, but i thought that was my transfercase. with the front drive line off it did get a bit quieter. idk. anyone have any ideas on what might have broke inside due to this? was this for sure they're fault? or was this somehow my fault? (i cant think of how being all i did was put it in and attach the driveline.) what should i expect from marlin crawler on this?/ what would you do?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man that sucks, did they forget to stake the pinion nut? I had that happen on the rearend on my old 83' I used to have. I was on my way home from work, and when I let off the gas pedal and coasted i would here this grinding/clunking noise, if I kept my foot lightly on the gas it was fine. When I got home and checked it out the portion of the pinion nut that had been "staked" had actually broken off allowing the pinion nut to loosen up. I just snugged it back up and re-staked it, ran it like that for years, lol. I hope it works out and Marlin makes it right for you!

Last edited by rustED; 07-06-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:32 PM

yeah it looks like marlin crawler forgot to stake the keeper nut on the pinion flange here is a pic i took this weekend when i pulled it off. Name:  keepernut.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  29.3 KBas of today they have accepted responsibility for the mistake and have payed the return shipping for the thirdmember. however i did have to pay the $20 packaging fee. but its on the truck today. hopefully they will get it back this week, and start the rebuild. cj over there said that it will be put on top priority and should get done same day. im really trying to be patient and understand that crap happens, but this has been quite frustrating thus far. Im still rocken my marlin crawler stickers on my window though, havent lost faith in them so far and it sounds like theyre going to do their best to make things right. so fingers crossed for now.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 PM

That sucks that it was something so simple, but at least marlin's taking responsibility for the mistake and trying to make it right, I hope it works out!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thspittingllama
Im not sure. that was done by the PO. maybe at one time it was black and just faded? idk but Im glad its gone.
Sorry for bringing this from the past but I just read through your build thread and thought I throw out some knowledge. What I learned from my collision repair class is that when you use window cleaners that have ammonia in them, after a few years it turns the black window tint into a purple shade. Hope I helped! Lol
Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by yota864x4
Sorry for bringing this from the past but I just read through your build thread and thought I throw out some knowledge. What I learned from my collision repair class is that when you use window cleaners that have ammonia in them, after a few years it turns the black window tint into a purple shade. Hope I helped! Lol
thnx! thats really good to know. i didnt know that, i'll make sure not to use that on my new tint. hopefully they wont fade.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
That sucks that it was something so simple, but at least marlin's taking responsibility for the mistake and trying to make it right, I hope it works out!
I know right! One minor oversight.......and bam! catastophic failure. As of today im confident that they will come through for me. but its still nerve racking.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

the Ammonia thing makes sense.. I have used ammonia and a trash bag to pull off window tint on a hot day..

I hope Marlin takes good care of you
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 PM

So I have been really busy lately and haven't updated in a while. Marlin did come through for me on the third. And just the other day I got my rear bumper in from them. Hurray!!! I'll post pics soon
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Forgive my ignorance. What's moab?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

cool truck
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Update?