Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Lookin good Lancer!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good man
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 AM

Wow, my last post was May 21st. Been gone almost two months. Progress has been slow but i managed some things.

First was to build bumper brackets to realign my front bumper with the 1.5" body lift:
Construction was out of 1/4" alum. I found lying around in the backyard. (Yeah I know, poor quality cell phone pics. It appears i have misplaced my camera.)

Kinda had to think it up. Bolts interfered with the frame, but it worked out. The only thing i would change and probably will later on is to use angle alum. It works fine as is, but the angle alum. will be stronger, then again, this is only temporary until i get my Addicted Offroad Bumper.

The bumper along with the front frame got a good cleaning/sanding and fresh black paint.
Primered:

Oh yeah, got covers for the hellas:

A center console WITH CUPHOLDERS! (very important)

But, the biggest addition (literally) was the topper

Found these old pics:

My Little Monster!!

Last edited by streetlancer; 07-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM

looks good man, lovin the way your truck looks
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Great work, man! Looking good, ...and glad to have you back, stranger! lol. JK, I TOTALLY can relate, ...only reason I'm able to keep up w/or/w/out work to post on the rig about, ..... I have a laptop in the kitchen, so I check in! hahaha.

Good improv, nice on the shell and SWEET Console!!!! .... Tuffy?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks guys!! Appreciate the comments.

Chef,
Its actually made by a company called TSI. They call it the Clutter catcher. Wal-mart special.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Uh Oh...... were did my 4.10 go???

Huh......
There it is!! Just chillin with 4.88, lol.

Allright guys, I finally found some free time to get this done. Don't know if yall remember but a while back I picked up this 4runner with a blown motor for $400 bucks!! Yeah, you heard right. Yup, the main reason i bought it was the G114 gear code.

So the plan was to rebuild the motor (or maybe a 3.4 swap) swap the 4.88s into the pickup & the 4.10s into the runner and run smaller tires. After all, im not gonna be using it much offroad, more like a grocery getter for mom.

First thing was to pull this pig out:

What a pain in the ass it was!! Seriously, there was no room to maneuver under that runner. I was stuck between the fuel tank & a giant muffler. The worst part was getting the plug on it off. There was no freakin way i could reach it with all that suspension crap in the way. So i just kinda pulled on it til it snapped the bracket it was attached to, which gave me some room to work with.

Pics:

Oh yeah, i also did the wheel bearing & seals on this side too.

39 teeth on ring gear & 8 on the pinion for a 4.875 ratio

Getting the housing clean

Notice my extended diff breather which cost me a total of $0.00. I found all the necessary materials in my dads shop scrap. Except for the fitting, that there came from a spare 22r intake manifold i had laying around. I couldn't believe it was an exact fit. Its the fitting that provides vacuum to the brake booster if anyone is interested.

I used a fel-pro gasket from autozone to seal it up, i didnt want to bother with silicon. So far, not a single leak.

For some reason, I love this pic:

Sorry there was a lack of pics this time around. I cant find the camera!! So i had to use my cellphone, and its kinda annoying to have to wash the grease off my hands to take a pic.

Last edited by streetlancer; 08-06-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Nice build Lancer, truck looks great! your 4.88's have inspired me to search the Junk yard to see whats up. Thanks for the idea's with the body lift. I'm going through a complete restoration of a 90 extended cab. Motor, Rockers, fuel/brake lines, Herculiner frame coating (black) and white Herculiner body paint job. I'd love to rock the 33x12.50's as you did, I'm contemplating a 2 inch body lift. Do you experience any rubbing with your current setup?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 AM

nice build up sits real nice with the small body lift. just wondering how you went about changing the outer wheel bearing? the one you gotta press out. i made a little jig for a press but just lookin to see how others did it. slam it on a piece of wood like i was told at first? lol
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TigerToy88
Nice build Lancer, truck looks great! your 4.88's have inspired me to search the Junk yard to see whats up. Thanks for the idea's with the body lift. I'm going through a complete restoration of a 90 extended cab. Motor, Rockers, fuel/brake lines, Herculiner frame coating (black) and white Herculiner body paint job. I'd love to rock the 33x12.50's as you did, I'm contemplating a 2 inch body lift. Do you experience any rubbing with your current setup?
Hey man, no problem; I'm glad i can inspire others to take initiative. And if you plan on 33s you will be plesantly surprised with the 4:88s. First gear is so much lower now aswell as quicker acceleration.

Complete resto,huh? Make sure too keep us posted, maybe get a build thread going. I love third gen trucks.

2" body lift sounds good! I only experience slight rubbing at full turn under compression, but that rarely happens daily driving it. One could just pound back the pinch weld a little to resolve it, no biggie. Something i'd recomend looking into, if you plan on running aftermarket wheels, is backspacing. I wasnt aware of that when i purchased my wheels so they kinda stick past my fenders a bit. A good number to stick around is 4.5" backspace, which is stock. Id recommend 4-4.25". You'll get great fit with a meaner stance.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by lazlow
nice build up sits real nice with the small body lift. just wondering how you went about changing the outer wheel bearing? the one you gotta press out. i made a little jig for a press but just lookin to see how others did it. slam it on a piece of wood like i was told at first? lol
Thanks, i like how it sits too, but maybe ill do a small susp. lift.

Hah, yup, I tried that method too,lol. Wrapped the end up real good and slamed it on a wood block, but nah, it didnt work for me. The bearings were stuck on good, afterall they were original.

I ended up taking them to a friend of my dad, who works at a shop that specializes in HD drivetrains for 18 wheelers. 15 minutes later and they were done!! I have know idea what they used, i was too distracted with the trucks in there, lol. But yeah, thats a neat little tool you made kinda looks like the one toyota uses. Btw, sick truck!! One of a kind paintjob!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by streetlancer
Thanks, i like how it sits too, but maybe ill do a small susp. lift.

Hah, yup, I tried that method too,lol. Wrapped the end up real good and slamed it on a wood block, but nah, it didnt work for me. The bearings were stuck on good, afterall they were original.

I ended up taking them to a friend of my dad, who works at a shop that specializes in HD drivetrains for 18 wheelers. 15 minutes later and they were done!! I have know idea what they used, i was too distracted with the trucks in there, lol. But yeah, thats a neat little tool you made kinda looks like the one toyota uses. Btw, sick truck!! One of a kind paintjob!
i tried taking the axles to an auto parts place that has there own shop that me and my dad always use, but they told me they couldnt do it. They said they used to use the wood block method themselves before lol. Yeah mine were stuck on good even using a press it took a whole lot of force. And thanks the paintjob sure does stand out.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:56 AM

SWEET SICKNESS, LANCERMAN! LOL. Very great find... paid for itself already! HOLY CRAP that never happens in L.A...... People just KNOW what they can get out of these within 20 minutes of minor labor! lol. Just an army of visitors, too... they scout the yards, .... pick u parts..... it's really hard to get stuff ahead of them, ya know?

Keep up the great work, man...rig's looking SICK!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:36 PM

^ Yeah, you're right about that chef! I was a little hesitant at first but after some research I figured it was a steal! The guy had been trying to sell it for weeks, i saw his previous adds, he wanted $800. Then he kept lowering it till i picked it up. It was worth it, but i did have to go out and buy a towbar.

Just a little something Ive done recently:

I cut the tips off. They hung kinda low after the body lift and were a danger to my LCE header. You see, the whole exhaust is welded tube, there is no flex pipe at all, so if a force were to push on them it will directly impact the header, studs, & head. Actually, this really happened. I was at a stop light waiting for my chance when this car pulls up behind, out of nowhere the driver decides to mash on the gas instead of the break pedal!! She was an elderly driver and drove her car under my truck. I jumped out to check the damage, header first, but it wasnt much. Her car got the worst, my tips left distinct indentations on her hood. She apologized, i told her it was fine, so we went on our way.

So, yeah off they came:

Yeah, I know its rusted.

In their place i've decided to run stock equipment. I grow tired of how quickly it gets dirty.

I took these off a long long time ago. Im thankful i found them!!
All but one are good. My dad tore it off backing up!

A quick trip to the big truck junk yard yielded this:

Stainless steel hardware!! Ohh, Yeahh...Recyle, recycle, recycle! Big rigs are practically built out of stainless & aluminum. Oh, and guess what? They bolt right on, they're the same thread type. 10mm. Just a heads up: All bolts & washers were taken from a kenworth tractor (my favorites). Kenworth uses stainless for most of their hardware. Peterbuilts aswell.

Also picked some heavier gauge wiring to help my electrical system:

And all that ^ was free. The guy was like: who picks that stuff?? So it was good for me!

Moving on:
I couldn't possibly bolt them on dirty. So, i cleaned, sanded, primed, and painted the rear brackets:

Rusto. Flat Black

Installed

Ima hafta trim the bolts a little

Ill get that bracket later

Looks Good!

The other side

Gotta find a replacement mud guard for this side.

Oh, and i picked this little gem for cheap:

Its gonna save some tear and wear on the truck and im getting around 30mpg in it!!

Last edited by streetlancer; 08-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Long time no post....
Ive been real busy lately; freshman at college!!Lol. School is taking up most of my time and money now. The new paint job i had planned is probably not gonna happen but maybe next summer?? I dont drive the truck as much; im daily driving the Celica now(pictures on previous pages), for obvious gas price reasons,lol. My dad, however, has been getting some use out of it,lol. Im okay with that, aslong as hes carefull.

Not much work done to it besides oil changes. Oh, and a new to me highlift and some new cragar steel wheels that i picked of off craigslist. Will post pics of that soon. Truck has just been washed & waxed!! Shiny & ready for 2morrow!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:21 PM

wow im loveing this and def subscribeing, wish my ole 87 was an xtra cab but hey for 600 count beat it, and ill agree wth a few ppl, to much red but overall excellent! keep going!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Pics!!

I forgot about this:

I took care of it but the damage had been done. Im not worried about it because i want to upgrade to the v6 rotors & calipers.

New pads on both sides.

More Recently, here's that Hi-lift i was talking about. I t belonged to a good friend of my dads who i asked about it and he just gave it too me. He said hes never used it.

It must be an old model because it looks nothing like what ive seen here. The mechanism is a little rusty, im thinking of rebuilding it, if thats even possible.

Had some fun in the old gal....

Of course, an intense wash cycle followed:

You see what I mean: My dad has been getting some use out of it while Im in college.

Yes that is 7 truck tires!! He has loaded 10 before!!

The owner was speechless. "Your gonna take all seven, in that??" Lol.

The reason I hate public parking:

I was going to put this on

Funny sight for sore eyes:

Dude, is it really that hard to find a donor at the salvage yard??

Wow, these pictures came out great! All straight from the memory stick of my 3.2 MegaPixel phone camera. Lol

Last edited by streetlancer; 09-26-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Haven't been on in a while.... Not much has changed on the truck either...

But, here is a recent addition:

I bought her on the cheap! The plan is to rebuild the engine and it'll be my mom's grocery getter, lol.

Any info on the 3.4 rebuild is appreciated!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM

do you have any kind of lift on your truck?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM

^ Yes! It has a 1.5 inch body lift and stock suspension!

Well, spring break is over! Back to school! Didn't do much during the break; i was mostly working to pay the bills. I did, however, pick up this little piece of AWESOMENESS:

I've always wanted this bumper and its been a looong search but I found one, finally. In the meantime, I rocked the stocker! Here it is:

OUT of the way! It served its purpose well...

Last edited by streetlancer; 03-18-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: streetlancer's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread