86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

sctrep's 95 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sctrep's 95 4runner build

So.. My 4runner started out as a stock 1995 4runner SR5 V6 with 140k. worn springs and Rusted exhaust were the only things that I had to attend to. The Runner was used as a farm use for 7 years but looked great!!!! Not a single dent, scratch anywhere. Looked under the vehicle expecting to see some rust. NOTHING!!! I couldnt believe it. I started it up. Ran GREAT. Just sounded bad due to the exhaust problem. So I bought it. Drove it home and Ideas started to develop. First I had to fix the exhaust. No problem.
Ive had all of my cars fitted with some sort of aftermarket system for years, and only one man has ever touched them. Danny at One Way Auto in Fairlea WV is great with the bender and the welder. and if it takes 10 min to fix something thats all your charged for. Not a full hour like most garages. I had Danny fit the 4runner with 2.5" pipe and a 40 series muffler. When I returned I looked it over and noticed that he went the extra mile and turned the muffler vertical and bent the pipe over the rear axle in such a way that it will NEVER contact even at full stuff.

Couldnt find a before pic so heres a googled one.

Started to look around for some springs to replace the old saggy ones. Found a good deal with the ProComp 4" springs and ProComp 4" lift
ES1000 shocks. $200 Total. I didnt want to spend alot on this stuff because I knew that I wanted to do a SAS at some point. Also Purchased 4crawler BJ Spacers and Panhard drop.

Here it is After The lift with its new 33x10.5x15 BF Goodrich MT KM2's

Well I was pretty happy with EVERYTHING. The 4runner's road manners were 500% better than before Thanks to the springs and shocks. The KM2's were and still are AWESOME!! Its rear flex is pretty great after taking out the sway bar. will stuff the 33's easily. The front however is...uhhh...it sucks.

I just couldnt leave it alone!! Started to tell people that i wanted to do a rear chop. They looked at me as if I were crazy. Many times did I hear " Theres nothing wrong with it. Why would you cut it up?" But... I havnt made it this far in my life by listening to others.
Soooooo........

A friend of mine John Mullens of MullensCustomWorks told me to stop by and he would help me out. Well.. before i even got out of the 4runner He was taping up the rear so he could start cutting. And Zap Boom Pow. Just like that he had it cut off, matched up and ready to weld. In total so far he has about 4.5 hours in it. It will be finished very soon. He is also working on fabing some trim to finish out the interior.

With all of this happening I figured "Why stop here?"
So Today..... I purchased.....

a Dana 44 and 12 bolt rear. I know some of you will say "Get a 14 bolt" well Its a done deal. the 12 bolt is mine. I got a VERY good deal on the set. And the guy I bought them from "loaned" me one of his garage bays and he is going to make any mounts that I would need. And told me he will fab some tube fenders and rear flares to cover my tires (WV law). Just for buying the 44 and 12 bolt. When I asked why such a good deal he just replied " When I was doin' this stuff nobody would help me out. So Im gonna help you" What a good man.

I think thats all I have for now. What do you think? Any Ideas?

Ohh yeah... The axles will stay full length. front wms/wms is 68" rear is around 65-66.

Last edited by sctrep; 12-12-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Sooooo.... The SAS is gonna have to wait. My clutch is almost gone so I ordered a new HD kit and I figured since I was at it I would just get a new flywheel to save on some shop time. Didnt want to spend a ton of money. besides, It will do me just fine with the type of driving I do. (not a lot of rocks)

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Also ordered a set of 4 point cam locks for the rear (since the factory ones no longer exist)

Also ordered the 4crawler diff drop
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM

awesome build man! can't wait to see where this one goes!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Got in my GPS unit. I was looking at a double din cd/dvd/gps unit but I thought this would be a better option since it doesnt stay in the 4runner. Thieves are everywhere

Witstech A81 Android Tablet

Here are the Specs:
Specification :
CPU: ARM cortex A8 600MHz
RAM: 256MB DDR
Storage: 2G FLASH?
Support 16GB of T-FLASH card
Internal Speakers: Internal stereo speakers (500mW each audio amplifier).
Wireless: On-board wireless 802.11b/g module.

Display: 7 inch TFT Touch Screen, 800 x 480 resolution
Touch Overlay: Surface Resistant, 80% transmittance.
Bluetooth: built-in bluetooth function
GPS: buit-in GPS function
3G: external 3G function
Audio format: MP3, WAV, WMA
Video format: AVI, MPEG4, MPEG2, WMV, H.264
Picture format: JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG
Support for electronic books, electronic album
G-sensor: No
Speaker: 2 speakers
Office software: Word, Excel, Powerpoint
Interface: TF card slot*1, USB OTG*1, Headphone jack*1, DC jack*1

Other application: Adobe reader, AndExplorer, Apk manager, ASTRO, Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Calibration Test, Chess, Clock,Contacts, Dev Tools, Earth, Email, Find It Family Guy, Gallery, Gmail, GPS Test, iSilo, Maps, Maps(brut), Market, Messageing, Meteor Blitz, Music, Musical Pro, Navigation, Nimbuzz, Opera Mini 5 beta, Paint Joy, Panzer Panic, Phone, Rockplayer, Settings, SoloLite, Spare Parts, Speech Recorder, Stocks, Talk, Txt Reader

Language: German, Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Russian
Old 11-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Got the clutch in today!!! Man is it soft. SECO Clutch EXEDY pressure plate Brute force throwout bearing and a new flywheel. $177 parts $100 install
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Been a little while since i posted last. I wish I had some updates on the 4runner but she still looks the same. I am however trying to get in next week to start the sas. I think Im going to cut down the length a bit though. 7-10" on either side is alot to cover. thinking about cutting the front down to around 60" and keeping the rear toyota. The guy thats helping me says I'll run 37's no problem. thats with stock chevy springs. that might be a little tall for my taste but we will see.

Last edited by sctrep; 12-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 AM

nice, im keeping track of your build
sounds like its gonna be an awsome
truck
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like everything, Awesome, well except for the chopping of the rear, You should have gotten an older ford sporttrac, looks the same and it has a 4.0 V-6 in it and a 8.8 rear end, I know you don't want to hear it :}LOL Good Luck and Have fun...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM

This is pretty sick build, when i was in my cherokee i knew a few pple that chopped theirs, it came out awsome! Im gonna keep an eye on this build
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Sorry I havnt posted anything for a while. Ive had some medical issues and havnt really done anything. Had to sell the dana and 12 bolt :'( I even thought about selling the 4runner. I really want to get back on track with this build. just have to round up parts again. here are a few pics for you:
The tool box proved to be good for keeping things dry, but i took it out. just didnt like it that much. diamond plate is gone to.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Ummm. think i need to clean up a bit.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:38 PM

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally getting back on track. Picked up a 85 front yesterday. Pics will come when I'm at my computer.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Dude your runner is freakin awesome. Did you clean up the interior any? where you cut it? great job
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
saw your profile pic in your gear/third wanted thread. your buddy john did a nice job on your chop..4.5 hours..WOW
It took me 5-6 months of off and on BS to get my bobbed bed done...
Just curious curious if you know of John Mullens was in the army? fat chance but I served with a John Mullens in Alaska..

Is the rear window still functional as far as up/down?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Yeah john is a good guy but I don't think he was in the military. I'm working out the rear window on paper then I'm going to try and get it to function. Along with the rear wiper and defrost. I also have a hotrod / ratrod builder in my arsenal so I think we can pull it off.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by B-yodaful
Dude your runner is freakin awesome. Did you clean up the interior any? where you cut it? great job
Thanks. The interior trim needs lots of fab to make it look factory (which is what I want) I'm just not putting it on my priority list yet. The best way I can explain where/how I cut is this. On the bottom of the quarter windows near the back there is a small "notch" we marked from there at about a 50* angle towards the tail light. Then a certain number of inches above the taillight straight back to intersect with the. Previously scribed line. After we cut it and slid the rear to the front it matched up almost perfectly. We didn't have to fill in any gaps with metal.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 AM

What have you got behind the seats holding the window? I couldn't make it out but I have seen some other guys throw in another 4runner tailgate and the got functionality of the back window. Maybe you could take off the fiberglass and layer it with some bed liner or something. Looking great so far though!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Scratch that last comment, I just noticed that your rear tailgate is a different one so i'm assuming you moved the old one forward with the window =)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Right now I have plexi glass under the rear window I am working on a tailgate and plexiglass rear window so I can roll it down all the way.

Quick Reply: sctrep's 95 4runner build