86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project Beowulf build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Project Beowulf build

I guess its time I start my build thread. I bought my 4runner from Pat, my gf's brother. It had been sitting dormant for over a year. I wanted it and have been tinkering here and there. Recently dicovered after talking with him that it isn't a bone stock 3.slow after all. Been bored .050 over, and the heads shaved. It didn't pull like most of the 3's yall described. Has a forged crank and rods. So he explained some of the extras that are in it. We then plaved with the fuel pressure regulator, and timing adjust by 2 deg. This didnt make sense at first till we ran some 108oct through it, and holy crap what a difference. So now my gf Kat calls this newfound excitement "yotaville" or the happy place I drift off too. I want to turn Beowulf into a semi-aggressive on and off-road 'sleeper'.

New timing belt, thermostat, fan pully bracket, v-belts so far. Nothing really pic worthy, major pressure wash job, still to 3-M perfect-it, and a lot of cleaning. Will be posting pics for alot of things, and asking advice along the way. Nice to have a stand by ASE factory trained master mechanic in my cell!

So this shall be my thread...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Side note: Pat waited to tell me about all the internal work that had been done after hours of combing the web, getting a parts list together and talking over my plans with him. Therefore I somewhat claim the milling work. Partially due to he went down the list saying "done...done...done..done...etc" with the only difference being the head shave. So my project has been advanced about a year. Just wanted to give him due credit, but I get to claim it like a tax deduction.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet man, i love (and miss my) 2nd gen 4runners. in your sig. it says your gonna get a lift, but possibly a locker... i think you have those reversed..
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM

I plan on a winch, which for now seems a bit more logical than a locker. Thus the possibly... I am wanting both eventually, but for the moment the winch seems the wiser decision to do first. Should have the new Falken RM's this weekend, and plan to put a spin on the current rims till I can afford the aftermarket ones I picked for it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Well ain't this just something... While reading another thread, I discovered not only is there another Beowulf 4runner, but it is also his username...craap!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

ha ha get some pics upof the beast... u will have to think of a new name lol
Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 AM

New tires are on!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM

nice looking runner but whats with the chrome door edging and the gas door?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM

The edging is to prevent door damage, and both are chrome 1) because I like chrome, 2) havent seen any with a chromed fuel door.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM

Nice color blue!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Thanks, but it is the original factory paint. Used 3M Perfect-it to bring it back to life. It is definately a diamond from the rough. Once I get the intake and exhaust done will upload a video. For now it is in mall-crawler status till I get more stuff done to it. I.E. brush guards, a winch, some recovery equipment, and a good cb. Nothing is worse than wheeling unprepared. It will still be a functional dd though.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM

Did the T bar lift, and rear coil lift Saturday, 2-18-12. I am pretty happy with the results, got it within a 16th of an inch of being perfectly even. Had planned to take pics, but got called to help a friend move. Came home to find a leaking pipe between 2nd floor and ground floor of the house. Finished up restoring leak free home plumbing around 1am Sunday morning. Woke up to nothng but cold water available... Fried elements in water heater....grrr... Long story short, will try and get some good pics to add this afternoon. Total cost of lift 12$, alignment check free, hot shower with no leaks in the plumbing....PRICELESS!!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Sound like you need to get one of those camp shower heat exchangers installed before you go for a winch... then you can have a hot [warm?] shower whenever you need one...

good looking truck... I like the almost stock appearance... nice shade of blue too...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Funny guy there Aviator... Though I may not be Bob Villa, I am far from Tim Taylor! Plumbing and water heater are back to 100% operational. The house was built in the 70's, so things do go wrong. Thanks for the compliments from you and everyone else. The paint is original, all I did was thorouhly wash it, Meguires Clay Bar Treatmemt, 3M Perfect-it buff, then Meguires creme wax it. It will continue to have a mostly "stock" appearance throughout the build. Not a big fan of oversized tires, the ARB bumper look that most end up with. Not downing anyone with said bumper because, after all, its what look makes the owner happy. I happen to like chrome and gloss blacks. Requires a bit more care and upkeep, but the finished product should be a rugged trail capable head turner.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM

good looking 4runner, but chrome kills babies..
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Was'nt trying to be rude or anything lycan... IK maintenance is a part of home ownership [even though I don't own my own yet] I provide a lot of 'handyman help' to my less handy friends... and IK what a pain it is to have no HW after a hard day of work...
I was just teasing a little... and fwiw HW on the trail can be a good thing..
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 AM

I know you were joking Aviator, as was I. Not always the best at wording things correctly. Hot water on the trail can indeed be priceless, not contesting that one bit. Sorry if it came off that I was defensive, I used the 'home improvement' show cause Tim managed to drop something, electrocute himself, or generally make a mess of things about every episode.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

haha figured you were'nt being serious lycan...

I like to think of myself as a bit Tim Taylor and a bit Mike Holmes... more power!/Make it Right... ow ow ow...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
haha figured you were'nt being serious lycan...

I like to think of myself as a bit Tim Taylor and a bit Mike Holmes... more power!/Make it Right... ow ow ow...

yea, Homes from the great white north. But I think of myself as the same as Bob and Doug McKenzie

How's it going A
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 AM

Aviator... What exactly is a rumble muffler?

Quick Reply: Project Beowulf build