86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

OutlawMike's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any idea how much the ARB bumper weighs? It looks great! Someone on craigslist was selling that exact bumper with some damage to one side for $50. By the time I called, it was gone.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 PM

I'm trying to decide wether I want OME or Bilstein 5125's. I think for the billys id have to have a custom upper mount welded on. I havnt heard anything bad about the ome'S HERE BUT I have on some other sites....and the billys have a lifetime warranty. I would like a soft ride tho... hhhmmm decisions...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 81Hilux
Any idea how much the ARB bumper weighs? It looks great! Someone on craigslist was selling that exact bumper with some damage to one side for $50. By the time I called, it was gone.
I could pick it up by myself, without the winch. It is less than 100lbs, but more than 75. I should have weighed the thing before I put it on.

The heavy part is the winch, that is where all the weight is. All that cable and the copper windings in that motor, damn, that thing is a beast.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mrddk92
I'm trying to decide wether I want OME or Bilstein 5125's. I think for the billys id have to have a custom upper mount welded on. I havnt heard anything bad about the ome'S HERE BUT I have on some other sites....and the billys have a lifetime warranty. I would like a soft ride tho... hhhmmm decisions...
What I have read about the OME's is that they are valved pretty soft and that their springs are supposed to be stiffer.

What I have experienced is that the OME springs/shocks in the rear are a good match. The springs do not feel in any way too high of rate and the shocks control the travel just fine.

For the front, the ride was perfect before the bumper. Now, with the bumper, it is too soft. I am going to put the OME torsion bars in this weekend, and hope it is just right...

What have you heard "bad" about the OME's?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 PM

I put the torsion bars in this afternoon. Fairly straight forward install. The passenger side T-bar was a bit of a puzzle to get out. I have the Downey headers on the rig, so that made it a little tight. It took an hour for the passenger side and 1/2 hour for the driver's side. I reset the front ride height to 15 1/2", about 1/2" lower than it was before. I noticed that I had very limited droop travel, so, wanted to pick up 1/2" more.

The new bars ride NICE!!! As I mentioned above, the stock bars rode perfect after the lift, but with the Bull Bar and winch, they were not high enough rate. Started to ride like a Caddy in the front. The OME's put it back to perfection, a firm, but not harsh ride in the front that matches well with the rear. Worth the price of admission.

I will post some pics tomorrow, along with pics of my Marlin Crawler rear bumper. The paint is dry on the bumper and it is going on tomorrow. Also, I have the Stubbs sliders in the garage, a nice piece of work there. Beautiful welding. I need to paint those and weld them in, maybe next weekend.

Pic of the T-bar in, not a very exciting pic, but, everyone says pics or it didn't happen, so, here it is, it happened:

Last edited by OutlawMike; 01-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:53 PM

This is an awesome build! I'm waiting to see those sliders.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Well I guess i havnt really heard bad stuff. I think it was on an australian forum actually lol. They were saying that they were being made by Monroe?? I think I had typed in ome vrs bilstein in google, ill have to see if I can find a link. I think someone said that they faded more than billys after long use too. But on here all I have heard is good stuff so I will prob run them.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I had the ARB bumper on my '05 Tacoma...one of the best pieces of armor out there and even looks good.. I still regret selling the truck.

Great looking truck...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Boots
This is an awesome build! I'm waiting to see those sliders.
Thanks, it is not all that fabrication intensive, mostly just bolting stuff on, but it is going pretty smooth so far.

I probably won't have the sliders on until Labor Day weekend, next weekend is family stuff.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I had the ARB bumper on my '05 Tacoma...one of the best pieces of armor out there and even looks good.. I still regret selling the truck.

Great looking truck...
I like the bumper so far, will have to test it out during deer season to see how it holds up, but, it looks like it won't be an issue.

I did have an issue with their instructions. They are unacceptable, unprofessional, and incomplete. I have let ARB know via e-mail what I thought of their instructions.

Thanks, the truck is looking pretty darn good, just about what I intended as I went into it. Now, I just need to get it out of the driveway...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM

So, got the rear bumper installed today. It is a Marlin Crawler rear, like a bunch of guys have on their rigs on this site. No issues with install, just bolted it in. I was able to use the stock tire carrier winch by using the tool at an angle, which is nice, since the 33x10.5 BFG AT fits under there.

Offroad I needed to get the tire out from under the rig. Rather than put it in the back, I wanted a tire carrier on the rear. But, I could not find a swing out or other style that I liked (except for Scotty's lambo style, but he is not making that commercially). Another YotaTech'er had posted up a CBI receiver mount tire carrier a while back in the classifieds section. I contacted him, he still had it, so, I bought it. After installing the bumper I realized that this particular style was intended for a hatchback model, the tire does not drop down horizontal. So, the tailgate would hit it. After a quick consult with my best friend, we decided to eliminate the receiver part of the carrier that was below the pivot and stopping the travel. I don't ever see needing to tow with the thing installed, and, I have two hard points on the bumper for recovery. So, out came the cutoff wheel and the saws all, and away went the receiver. Now, the thing will swing all the way to the ground, plenty of clearance. Pics:

Oh, I have the stock front/rear bumpers that I need to get rid of. The front is dead straight, not rust. The rear has a small dent.

Last edited by OutlawMike; 08-23-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Mike, did you do 7" or 8" wheels, and what's your backspacing. Any rubbing on the uca after the bj spacers? You also mentioned terrible instructions from ARB on the bull bar. I seem to remember your other thread saying you weren't positive that the bull bar you got was for your model 4runner, was that the case or did I misread?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking great!

Love the ARB addition...Reminds me of mine before the current set up.

Those bumpers are STOUT. Mine was purchased second hand from a buddy, and he wailed on it. Then I got a hold of it and beat it even more. The thing was completely rock rashed, and those lower fins were all bent up when I sold it, but it still sat straight and true! Very nice purchase.

I only got rid of it because it was too big, and hung up in the rocks too much.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by stock as possible
Mike, did you do 7" or 8" wheels, and what's your backspacing. Any rubbing on the uca after the bj spacers? You also mentioned terrible instructions from ARB on the bull bar. I seem to remember your other thread saying you weren't positive that the bull bar you got was for your model 4runner, was that the case or did I misread?

The wheels are 15x8" with 4.5" of backspacing. No issues with the UCA, it has about 3/8" clearance to the sidewall. I am planning on grinding it down to get another 1/8" of clearance, just for peace of mind.

I have the right Bull Bar, I confirmed with ARB. They make on bumper for both first and second gen IFS rigs. On the second gen rigs the bumper brackets are on the side of the front frame box section. On the first gen, there are only two brackets on the front, that are not used by the bumper. The wing brackets work on the second gen rigs, but actually interfere with the front body mounts on the first gen. They say nothing about this in the instructions, nor do they mention about a half dozen other things. You pay $700 for a bumper, you do not want to be taking a hammer to it on day one.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Looking great!

Love the ARB addition...Reminds me of mine before the current set up.

Those bumpers are STOUT. Mine was purchased second hand from a buddy, and he wailed on it. Then I got a hold of it and beat it even more. The thing was completely rock rashed, and those lower fins were all bent up when I sold it, but it still sat straight and true! Very nice purchase.

I only got rid of it because it was too big, and hung up in the rocks too much.

That is the one thing I worry about, it hanging up on rocks, as it is pretty big. But, man, it looks cool on the rig, and that has to count for something.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Did a mod over the weekend to support the driving lights, backup lights, and some other switch controlled device down the road.

I added a 3-gang switch panel to the dash next to the column. Picture below of the finished product and also a link to a full write-up on the mod:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-pics-191036/

Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 PM

I was wondering where you got those 3 switches for the lights
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM

boy we dont get them that clean in ohio.nice yoda
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Drunner
I was wondering where you got those 3 switches for the lights
If you follow the link to the thread on the switch install, all of the info you could ever need is there. The link is in the thread above.

The swtiches are really nice. I have used them a bit since the install, I like seeing them on the dash.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by riegel
boy we dont get them that clean in ohio.nice yoda
Thanks, it is a really clean, low mileage Runner that I picked up from the original owner. The odomoter just filpped 140k miles.

I need to update this thread, I have done a bit of stuff in the last three months that is not on here. 3/4" body lift, PIAA driving lights, Cadillac horn mod, LED backup lights, and a 3 hole A pillar gage pod install.

Maybe this weekend I will get some updates on here.

Quick Reply: OutlawMike's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread