86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

OLblue87's '86 pickup build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great build! Love your fuse box weatherproofing
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! got the timing down this afternoon and the carb tuned in. she sounds nasty as she sits right now... definately not like a four cyl! Idle is roughly 800-850 rpms right now, and timing is sitting at about 6-7* advanced.

philbert- haha yea, thats been on there since I bought the truck. might have to redesign some better waterproofing for water crossings haha

Last edited by OLblue87; 06-09-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM

That is one good lookin truck. I like the detail you put into the motor. Looks good
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM

here she is fellas, got a short vid of the truck runnin. keep in mind the truck is running from a cold start, and actual idle speed is right around 800 rpms.

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0121.mp4

Last edited by OLblue87; 06-09-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM

well ladies and gentlemen, I am in the process of reviving my build thread!! I just made a trip to a local Toy only salvage yard I learned about recently and proceeded to buy myself a couple presents for Ol' Blue!!!

--First on the list was an '84/85 solid axle with a trashed R&P, but good housing. and its light a spindle... but everything else was there, and it was on the CHEAP!! I plan to rebuild,re-gear(5.29"s) and hopefully lock it as funds allow. I also hope to upgrade shafts to Dirty 30's, or 30 spline longfields as well.

--Next was an SR5 gauge cluster out of an 84-88, 22re, 5 spd 4runner!! Gonna grab an oil pressure gauge sending unit , and clean up the cluster this week and get her swapped in!!!

--I also needed a front bumper for my truck, so I snagged a near mint bumper off the same runner the gauge cluster came out of...

--Lastly I picked up a grey dash pad for my truck that had NO cracks, and all the vents were still intact! My vents have crumbled away in my dash pad... so I will be swapping out the dash pad when I do the gauge cluster swap!!

!!!!!

And here is the BIG KICKER.......!!! total of all parts picked up and brought home...... dum, da, ta,dummmmmm(drum- for emphasis) ~$200 :jawdrop:
Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Truck keep looking better. Great job.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks Terry! That means a lot coming from you! You're build threads have helped me see the potential that these trucks have when you put in the time and effort! I wish I was as talented as you!

Just a post script involving my build. I recently finished the IFS V6 caliper swap, as well as upgrading to a 1" bore master cylinder. And while I was in the "brake" mood, I freshened up the rears with new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and all new drum hardware. The brakes feel the best that they ever have in all the years of owning the truck! I can finally pull the "stop short" trick on the lady friends! haha
~unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the brake swappage... maybe I can snap a shot of that pretty clean master cyl. tomorrow!!

Last edited by OLblue87; 01-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM

thats a nice truck man it looks sweet... what kind of time frame are you trying to do the sas swap in/
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM

J&H- This will ultimately be a slow process as the cash flow is barely a trickle for me right now. I am planning to start the rebuild of the axle in feb, and saving until I can build the axle the way I want it. buying upgrade parts as funds allow (gears/locker/chrome-moly axles...) An SAS'd rig is my ultimate goal. My plans for the truck are for it to be a formidable and capable trail rig. I don't have access to rock crawling anywhere locally, so the majority of my wheeling will be in trail riding power-lines, and the occasional mud pit. I want to make the most of what I have available for my toyota. I plan on lower Tcase gears as well in the future. I haven't set my mind as to whether I will do duals, or a single 4.7 tcase.

I wish I had the money to jump right into the axle swap, and have my truck finished! But... I want to build it right the first time, and not try and cut corners to achieve my ultimate goal. The speed may vary if I am able to source some parts that I want locally from scrapped/parts vehicles. but I know what I want my rig to be in the end, and I will keep plugging along until it has reached what I have envisioned... lol

I keep hearing that these rigs are never truly finished... you either sell them or you die. haha
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 PM

I agree with that haha its true but your rig is coming along nicely
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Nice work so far, yea on SAS, I did it the easy way, change the whole frame from a 87 to 85, well it sounded easy, best of luck
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks go the kind words guys! I hope to keep plugging along on my build, getting a few parts at a time....

RMP- I thoughts about the frame swap, and may wind up going that route. This truck is no longer a dd, so the buil could end up anywhere haha... I do plan on keeping it street legal though so I don't have to tow it to trails.

Quick question for all the yota-techies however: does anyone know about obtaining a rebuilt title? The truck has a salvage title on it now. I am planning on having it inspected before too long, but am wondering what options I may have if it doesn't pass??
Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM

It depends on your state, my you must have it inspected by the state police, they are looking for stolen parts. So make sure you keep all receipts from the junk yard
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Hi guys and gals! Yesterday I did a little work on the interior of my truck. When I had some down time during my engine rebuild, I had taken out all the dash trim and painted it up to take care of the faded blue that was there... well the paint wasnt holding up as well as I had hoped, so I pulled it all back out to do over again.

I think the biggest problem was the paint not bonding to the old vinyl and plastic, even after roughing it up and wiping down with acetone. So this time around I am taking a little different approach.

After pulling all the trim pieces out, and roughing up and wiping down, I sprayed some bed liner coating on the trim pieces. This was a two part decision: first, I thought the rubberized coating would help with weather cracking and fading on the interior; second, I wanted to add some texture back to all the interior pieces since the paint before had done away with the factory vinyl and plastic texture.

Here are a few pieces I have sprayed down with the bed-liner. I think I am going to be pleased with the texture and hopefully added durability. For a reference, the texture of the painted trim pieces is about like a 120 grit sandpaper. I will be adding another coat of colored paint on top of the dash and trim pieces after the liner has dried and cured.

I also took the time to clean out all my vent ducting and blower fan while I had the dash out of the truck... you would be surprised how much trash/gunk gets down in there!!! haha
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good man
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM

It looks good man i think it will turn out great
Old 02-02-2012, 03:47 PM

another fairly productive afternoon....

I got my SR5 cluster cleaned up, and installed! My truck wasn't wired for a factory tach, so I had to run a wire from the coil to the A6 pin on the gauge cluster. The oil pressure sender is unplugged for now, till I can pick up the gauge sender from the parts store. I also swapped out the green backlights for red ones...

I also got all of my trim pieces painted up and back into the cab. I am liking the look the interior of the truck is going. Next on the list is to swap in bucket seats, and get some new carpet on the floor.

I will try and get some better pics of the interior tomorrow!!

Last edited by OLblue87; 02-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM

here are a few more shots of the interior trim/dash all finished up and back in

from D/S

from P/S

Still gotta find a few odds and ends for the interior: some door handle sconces(sp?), two more dash vents, door handles... I am also now on the hunt for some bucket seats to replace the old worn out bench seat, and also give me some room in the cab for a center console and possibly in time the 3rd shifter for dual cases

Last edited by OLblue87; 02-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

I worked on getting my axle stripped down this afternoon... I hope to get my gusseting/armor and a rebuild kit for the axle ordered soon!

Here is how the axle sits as of about twenty minutes ago

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM

your doing it right!.. I will await the finish..

Quick Reply: OLblue87's '86 pickup build