86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did alot of work on the truck this week.

I replaced CV axles and upper and lower ball joints.

Replaced U joints in the rear driveshaft.

The front suspension was covered in gunk from the torn cv boots flinging grease everywhere for who knows how long. I spent alot of time cleaning and still need to do alot more.

Nasty...
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Last week I installed new shocks and a new steering stabilizer.

New/used throttle body.

New sparkplugs, Totota plug wires, cap and rotor.

New radiator.

Coolant recovery tank and windshield washertank and pump.

Clear corner light and turn signals.

New shift boot.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 AM

My rear springs sit completely flat and the ride is pretty stiff so I ordered some 2" NHK/Downey springs for it. They should be here next week.

I will probably get some 1 1/2" BJ spacers and relax the torsion bars to match the springs and soften up the front a bit.

I also used the sway bar end links and poly bushings left over from my Mustang when I put Eibach swaybars on it.

The drive train is nice and smooth now so I went out to the sand hills and tried out the new cv's.

4wd works great and I am very happy with the truck now.

At highway speeds the door seals make alot of noise so I ordered new ones today. Thanks to Terrys87 for the link...

Last edited by nmtoy; 10-15-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello nmtoy... Here is the part numbers to the door seals. Even though that link said they were out of stock, they sent me one saying they had them in.

Here are the Part Numbers. Right Door PN# 6786189105 and Left Door PN# 6786289104.

That is a sweet looking truck. I know where there is and 87 SR5 sitting. Been sitting 5 years. When I get my 83 done, I am hoping it is still there. I really like it and his wife wants out of there but he isnt ready to part with it.

Even your engine bay looks great. I like the clear lenses you got. Hey I just like the whole truck. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Dang dude looking sweet, I like the truck big time! When you doing the 3.4 swap? Yes/No? :}LOL I am a subsciber and I'll keep up with the build :}
I like the clear lenses too, I'm gonna get a set too for my 93, you get yours from ebay?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Hey Terrys87,

I followed the link from your build and found the door seals for the 84-88 pickup. The seals were out of stock so I had them send an email when they came back in.

Thanks for the compliment, I love way this generation of Toyotas looks.

John4wd,

When this engine craps out I do want to do a 3.4. One of the reasons I got a V6 truck is because the 3.4 bolts in.

I think the clear corner and turn signals update the look of the truck. The amber ones look pretty dated.

Here is where I got the clear lights.
http://stores.ebay.com/Unique-Parts-...id=p4340.l2563
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was able to get mine for free through Toyota due to the rewards points, but that company did send me an email after about 2 weeks saying they had them in. Shouldnt take long.

It makes a big difference. Taking the old one out is the hardest as those clips are really tough. Putting the new one in is about a 5 minute job. Looks great.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM

My Downey 2" rear springs showed up this afternoon and I got them installed.
I got exactly 2" of lift in the back and the truck looks and rides much better.

Alot of people here don't like the Downey springs but the 3" ones I had on my 4runner worked really well.

I will try to get some pics up this weekend. It's hard to take pics when you are focused on the job and your hands are dirty...

I ordered new Aisin clutch master and slave cylinders yesterday and got a new soft line from Toyota. My master cylinder is leaking so time to replace everything while I am at it.

I am eventually going to get a Marlin Crawler HD clutch kit and new flywheel. I loved the one I had in my 4runner.

I also got a couple of star cracks in my windshield fixed yesterday, much better.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I was able to get mine for free through Toyota due to the rewards points, but that company did send me an email after about 2 weeks saying they had them in. Shouldnt take long.

It makes a big difference. Taking the old one out is the hardest as those clips are really tough. Putting the new one in is about a 5 minute job. Looks great.
The seals will be here next week. I am looking forward to a quiet cab on the freeway.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

I thought I might need ball joint spacers to level the truck after I installed the rear springs but the stance looks good so I am going to leave the front alone for now.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Looking forward to seeing the pics of Downey 2 inch rear spring lift install you just did, I'm thinking about BJ lift in front and will be need springs for the rear, I'm looking forward to the pics, how much were they?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to hear you lucked out not needing to add the spacers.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:47 PM

I got my door seals yesterday and got them installed today. Not much to see, it's just weatherstripping.

My cab is so much quieter now. I drove to Santa Fe yesterday and really noticed how much wind noise there was with the old seals.

Here are a few pics of the new rear springs. With the Downey springs you use your old overload leaf. The springs also come with a bracket to raise the LSPV.
Before

After

It's hard to tell much difference in the pics but it measures 2" taller from the ground to the pinch weld.

I replaced the worn out upper shackle bushings with some spare poly bushings I had leftover from other trucks.

It's great to have a rustfree truck! All of the bolts came out easily
Old 10-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Poly bushings

Old 10-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Glad to hear you lucked out not needing to add the spacers.
Now that I have the new springs on the ride is much smoother. Before the old leaf pack was riding on the overload spring.

I would have installed the spacers if I needed them but the truck is still pretty level without them.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by john4wd
Looking forward to seeing the pics of Downey 2 inch rear spring lift install you just did, I'm thinking about BJ lift in front and will be need springs for the rear, I'm looking forward to the pics, how much were they?
I got the springs on Ebay. The total cost was about $300.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260758532247...84.m1423.l2649

These are for 84-88 trucks. The 89-95 has longer springs. If I were you I would look at some Old Man Emu springs.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to see you got your weather stripping. It does make a difference. Your truck does look great even on the underside. You just dont see that many clean trucks like that any more.

Getting them off of the over loads does make a difference. I remember mine when the back end hit a bump, it was bone jarring. You have a great truck all the way around. Glad to see you are taking great care of it.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info nmtoy :}
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM

My clutch master cylinder was leaking so it was time for some new parts. I got a new master and slave cylinders and a new soft line.

The old soft line was leaking too.

Looks like it's been leaking for a while.

I also got some new pedal covers.

I still need to clean up the floor and carpet.

Much better.

My parts chaser.

I replaced all the parts and bled it with a speed bleeder since I was home alone. The clutch pedal is much smoother now. I have a buddy coming over after work to help me get all of the air out of the system.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM

My truck was also missing the dome light cover so I found a new one on Ebay.

Pretty exciting...

Quick Reply: nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread