Monochrome's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
very nice
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

I did a little more work today, sorry these pictures aren't very good. I'll have to take better ones next time, it was cold out and I was in a hurry.

I intended to just bleed the clutch, because my pedal has been pretty darn mushy lately. But when I started bleeding it, the old DOT 3 fluid was dark green. I ended up pumping it all out and running new fluid. It made a huge difference in the feel of my clutch, though it's still hard to downshift and shifting is very very slightly notchy. Worn synchros perhaps? I don't know much about transmissions. Here are a few pictures of the bleed in process, though it's hard to tell what's going on:

Then I finally got around to wiring up my cheap driving lights from Schucks. They're the Blazer off-road ones, and were on sale for less than $30 including hardware, with 55W lamps. But man, they're way brighter than my stock headlights! When I drove around after they were installed, it almost felt like a different car. I can't wait until my ebay H4 conversions come in on Friday with the 100/55W bulbs. Should make a huge difference.

This was my first time ever doing any kind of light/electrical work on a car, so I took my time. You may laugh, but it took me a total of 3 hours from measuring the drill holes on the bumper to flicking the switch for the first time. Oh well, I know how grounds, fuses, and relays work now.

I originally was going to build a light bar of some kind, but ended up just drilling a few small holes in my bumper. It was a cheap bumper and in the future I would likely end up replacing it with an off-road one anyway.

After the 1/4" driver, I installed the bracket:

Wired up the switch to one of the empty rocker panels:

Almost there:

Installed:

And for some reason I didn't take a full picture of the front, but here's what it looks like with the lights on (and unadjusted):

I'm going to finish off the install with some wire loom and zip ties to make it look more professional inside the engine bay, but the outside looks awesome and was very much a necessary upgrade due to the crappy stock lights.

Next up in a few days: another coat of paint, installing the H4 conversions, replacing stock interior lights with LEDs, painting the dash... and about 20 more items.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks sick man you do good work the paint looks awesome and black looks so good on her!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow mono your truck is looking sick!!!
I have a 1994 toyota pickup single cap standerd and have been restoring mine to.
Dont you love puting in new seats,I got some summet racing seats and they were a bitch to install but they look nice.keep posting things this is helping me build mine.
I only have 8 7 months till I get my licenss and want to have mine running strong by then.
Oh ya,if you plan on butting a sterrio system in your truck I found the perfict sub,It will between the seats mounted on the wall,best yet it looks like a nos bottle Its called the bazooka Nos 8 look it up it will complement 2 4" and 2 6" speakers without entertaining the naborhood.lol
Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Talking

wooo!! love the progress, roll on paint really? looks good!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone! The feedback makes me feel less crazy for painting with a roller...

I figure I should update so you don't think I've died or something. I've been really busy with some life stuff so I haven't had a chance to work on the truck very much. I hate it when people leave their build threads silent for weeks or months at a time (unless they're finished of course, which I am not!).

However, I've mainly had some frustrating issues to resolve. When I wired up the driving lights, I put the loom in a poor location and saudered the wires too short. Also, I didn't tighten up the bolts enough that attach the mounting bracket to the bumper. So, I basically need to completely re-do my driving light setup.

On the good side of things, I've received and installed my AutoPal H4 headlight conversions with the 100/55W bulbs. They made a HUGE difference on the stock lights. In the process I had some dimness issues with one of the bulbs and figured out that my engine compartment fuse box has a few loose wires. The dimness was caused by that, and when I wiggled the 15A fuse for the driver's headlight, it went to full brightness immediately.

Also, I've received my LEDs from superbrightleds.com for replacing the stock interior bulbs. I'm going with a red motif. I look forward to installing those in the next few days.

I also put on another coat of paint, but it doesn't look different from the first coat, so I didn't even bother taking pictures. It's just thicker. I did notice that the second coat brought out some dents that I didn't see. Fairly minor ones here and there, probably a total of about 5 or 6 that are the size of a quarter or smaller. I've decided not to fix them because I know that if I had a perfectly dentless truck, I probably wouldn't use it!

On another note, I got a free set of chains from a friend who sold his truck. They are unused and retailed for $100. Woot!

That's about it. Will update hopefully in the next couple days with LOTS of pictures.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Looks great keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM

awesome my friend, looking fantastic.

even more motivation to do the same to my pile
Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 AM

Good job. The paint looks awesome! Are thos fender flares factory?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Great post, thats a keeper. You are the Man.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 AM

Thats really awesome man!!! Wish you were my next door neighbor. And btw where do you buy the Diamond plate bed rails. I've been looking for them everywhere!! I have a drop in bed liner that you could have if you trade me Hah
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Sweet truck! Definitely going to use this for some inspiration this summer when I do a similar paint job with Tremclad and POR-15 my frame. Subscribed!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Everything has an end...

Well everyone, it comes down to this. I no longer have the time or money to work on this truck, and quite frankly I realized that while I love it and love owning a pickup, I just don't need it. I'm in the process of simplifying my life, not to mention bills and pending unemployment, so the truck has got to go.

But, I'm going to finish it as much as I can before I sell it. I can't just quit this project, since its so close to completion.

Last week I finished the wiring to the driving lights and installed an LED switch in the cabin. I also greased up the speedometer cable since it was making a slight ticking noise. I also found out where my broken parking brake snapped off, and it happened right inside the engine bay on the other side of the firewall.

Today I sanded down some rust and painted the rear portion of the back bumper with undercoating. I prepped the surface for one final coat of paint by wetsanding with 800 grit sandpaper. I also prepped the bushwhacker fender flares for a layer of undercoating and the wheel well plastic thingies (very descriptive, eh?).

I'll be painting it for the final time later this week, then a 1500 grit wetsand and a final cut and polish. That combined with the undercoated fender flares and restored rear bumper should look great. I'm also going to install LED license plate lights since I bought them already and they're sitting on the shelf. Lastly, I can't wait to install the finishing touch to the outside: legit Hilux badges that I bought while overseas, for the tailgate and both doors.

There will be pictures. I've already got some interest from friends who want to buy the truck, but if you're interested, let me know. I've got a full list of everything done to it, including receipts. I'm planning on listing it for the very reasonable price of $3,000, since I need it gone at this point. So, if you've got $3,000 and are in the market, let me know. God knows how much time and money I've spent getting back into good condition, but oh well.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by Monochrome; 02-15-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM

I really enjoyed reading this build thread, the excitement was mounting and then..
l
l
l
oh well such is life. Good work and inspiring!