86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mojave_Moze's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff. I noticed the tubing was welded to the frame and also the body. Think you may run into some body flex issues? Just a thought. Dig the color also.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Good stuff. I noticed the tubing was welded to the frame and also the body. Think you may run into some body flex issues? Just a thought. Dig the color also.
I had thought about that, but considering the state of the body to frame bushings, theres actually little to no body movement at all. The bushings are pretty hard and the bolts are stupidly tight. Though I have considered getting urethane or even solid bushings if there ever is a bad body role issue.

The plan was to only tie into the body in the front, cause eventually I'll be fabbing in shock hoops, and an engine brace so the entire front end is gonna be completely solid. We weren't planning on welding to the body anywhere else on the truck, but the front is essentially going to be exo-ed, lol. The rest of the rig is just getting a cage eventually
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Alright folks, got a tech question I need help with:
My rear diff as you all know, leaks a bit from the shaft, not from the housing. I had bought a pinion ring seal a while back but never got around to replacing it. Now that I have an idea how to do so, I want to get the leak fixed. My question is this; Is this Trail-Gear "trail safe" Inner axle Seal the right seal for the rear diff pinion ring seal??
http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle-service#inneraxleseal
If so then I'm going to get the "Trail Safe" seal cause it looks better. but I'm having issues figuring out if its the trail gear seal will work cause I looked up the replacement seal on Autozone.com but they don't look too similar...What do you guys think??
Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
That seal looks better than what, ... the one you have now? (which was bought from whom? lol) Sorry if I missed that. Why not just use a Toyota Seal? Just curious. I've had better luck with them so far, and wished I'd not gone another route when I did, lol.

Far as if it's compatible.... i'm sure they'll tell you, honestly, Moze. They seem like a very decent bunch of guys the couple times I've called.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 PM

The seal I have, specifically, is a toyota part from the dealer, and simply says "Toyota-seal-oil" on it. I'm debating putting it in, or waiting to hear from my fabricator buddy who knows a guy parting out a yota and could possibly sell me a third member or two for cheap. Though, the T-case seal will still need to be replaced for sure.

On a slightly different note, I did some browsing today and compiled a small list of simple and cheap upgrades I'll be doing while saving up for long travel:
1.) Magnetic drain plugs (T-case already has one, thankfully, lol)
2.) Manual locking hub rebuild kit
3.) Zuk mod (finally)
4.) and new urethane bushings for the rear shackles

On the topic of shackles: Stock ones are 3-1/2", and Trail gear Greasable shackles are 5-1/2". I'd really like to get beefier shackles, but dunno about the trail gear ones. I know the zuks will lift the rear enough already, but not sure I'll need the extra lift from the trailgear shackles...

Oh yeah, and for those wondering, With any luck, I'll have the rest of the tubing fabbed and welded on by saturday night!

Last edited by Mojave_Moze; 05-19-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Yeah, .... well if you're possibly swapping diff's, I'd definitely hold off on installing the seal.

Sounds good on the rest. Maybe throw an IFS brace in there, too, and possibly some other skid/armor? Idler arm brace? Locker? hahahaha.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM

well, I was listing the cheapest mods I'll be doing., lol. I DO have a frame truss that needs to be bolted in, thanks for reminding me Chef! The plan as of now is to get 4.56 gears front and rear, and either a Spartan or Detroit automatic locker in the rear, and since the locker by itself is cheaper than new gears (hoping to find used but good 3rd members) AND the locker can be inter-changed between 3rds, I might actually go ahead and buy a locker first, since I'm pretty antsy to see what one will do, lol

You brought up another good point about the skid plate too Mark, and I'm planning on getting a much better than stock one fabbed up at some point for sure. I've gone through about 3 stock, junkyard skids just from mild wheeling, lol

The infamous Idler Arm issue shall be addressed when the long travel suspension finally becomes a reality, which I'm still thinking Blazeland kit and coilovers. Thanks for bringing up some good points Mark!

Last edited by Mojave_Moze; 05-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM

My pleasure, sir!!! lol. I was just babbling on about stuff I'd like to do, but figured you might want to as well, seeing as you're a 'ROMPER STOMPER' like you are! lol. (Sorry, just a movie buff.... it's an OLD Russell Crowe Flick..... KARAAAAAAAAZY VIOLENT! LOL.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Might have to check that movie out sometime Chef, lol

Unfortunately, we got a pretty late start today on the other fender and didn't have time to finish, but thats only because My fab-buddy lives in an apartment complex that doesn't allow noise and such after 8pm, and hes the only one with a good mig welder and tubing bender, so we really can't do the work in my newly cleaned out garage >.<
So heres what build pics we did manage to get today:
Before:

First piece of tubing on:

and the next:

3rd and finally complex-bend piece:

Where we stopped for the night:

and, better pic of the other 90% complete fender:

You'll notice the newly-added high-gloss black for the undercarriage

Today though, despite not finishing even one fender completely, was like xmas day for me. Because without warning, one of my fab-buddy's friends showed up with a truck on a car trailer and said "Anyone want it?" I called dibs faster than everyone else and now Here sits THIS beautiful machine on my property!

Chevy 63's anybody?

All in all, it was a good day for me, I'll be tearing into the newly acquired (COMPLETELY FREE I might add ) parts 4runner for a few much needed parts. Ya'll will find out what exactly soon enough!

It might not look like much, but believe me, theres a few important things I can get off that rig, lol. I also have to note, that at full turn, the tires do rub the new tube fenders a little bit, but the hope is that once I get the Long travel kit on there, the rubbing issue will go away, but if not, then some cutting and welding will have to happen...

Last edited by Mojave_Moze; 05-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Free parts awesome. That top looks similar to what I plan on doing to my spare top. Sorry you couldn't get more done on your fender. Boy that's gotta be hard making 2 of everything exactly the same I have a hard getting it right once LOL.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Sweet! BTW, ..... those can't be stock springs, ... look like they're from a 35' Unimog! lol.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 PM

cool beans a parts truck and half top way to go
Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 AM

Memorial Day weekend will be dedicated to working on my rig, mostly transferring all the parts I can from the parts runner and other odds and ends. The fenders will get finished up next thursday for sure. But unfortunately, the bumper project won't get tackled until the weekend after next >.< that fab-buddy of mine's time is very hard to get, lol.

Another development is the passenger side CV axle boots have ruptured, and are now slinging whatever-that-not-quite-black-but-close-and-funny-smelling-stuff-inside-em is, ALL over the place. It seems to me like unforeseen forces are at work here, lol. With the completely destroyed bushings, the bad ball joints, the tires rubbing on the newly welded in tube fenders and now the CV boots tearing open....its like somethings TELLING me, I need to hurry up and get the new front Long Travel suspension, lol
Cause, right now, the cost AND labor required to just get the front end back in good shape, is pretty much MORE than the price of buying the new suspension, coil-overs and all (cause I have all new ball joints on standby already...) So despite a very important wedding approaching in Sept, (my brothers) I'm thinking its time to pay a visit to ye old bank, lol. Or start selling all the extra bits and pieces from the parts runner, and the pile of spare parts I've pulled off of mine. Mostly interior parts, but a lot of people seem more interested in restorations than modifications, so it might work out, lol.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
The parts truck would be good to use for mocking up parts to see how they would work on yours. Looking forward to see how your fenders turn out.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its looking good man, but if you do long travel wont you have to extend the fenders to cover them?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Also curious on something..... any legal issues with running those fenders? My buddy had a piece of his ....what's that Chrysler that looks like a ....PHANTOM? He had one, and pice of the fender was broken off and he got a ticket, for nothing being over the tires. This is CA, so I'm just wondering if you'll get any grief, that's all. Best wishes on the rest. LT, eh? Wow, ...have fun with that, yeah?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:50 PM

As far as I know, all thats required (at least by our local department) is mud flaps, which I have a pair of read to get cut and fitted in. If I do get grief I'll most likely sheet metal UNDER the tube fenders so that way they still show, cause these things are too cool to hide, lol.

As far as coverage for the LT kit goes, If we really need to, we can add to the fenders to cover the longer wheel base once the kit gets installed. Which hopefully will also cure the tire rub issue, but if not, the fab-buddy says its an easy fix. Rough estimate for the whole front suspension I want is about $2,500 >.<

Thats:
1. Blazeland LT kit = $1,000
2. 2 Sway-a-way 2.5" coilovers = $740
3. T-100 re-manned CV axles = $120
4. tubing for shock hoops = $60
5. Urethane control arm bushings = $80
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 PM

Alright, so I have some new developments, that some might find good news, and others, not so much. But despite having been completely ready to do a Zuk Coil Spring mod in the rear suspension, I'm now aiming more towards putting the newly acquired chevy 63's under it.
These will be getting fabbed in now rather than the coils:

Its gonna be a bit more work, and of course, more expensive, but in the long run, I think the 63's will be better for what I want to do, THAT and they were free, so thats like half the cost of a 63" spring swap already covered, lol.

I also want to try and swap this here sun roof from the parts rig into mine somehow, cause its so cool! Pun intended

Found this on the random dash pieces pile in the parts truck as well, I think its a very valid safety warning

And for your viewing pleasure!: How she sits as of today:

Gonna do some shopping around and very detailed reviewing of the two possible options for my LT, which is Blazeland, or Total Chaos this week, cause I'm still not 100% sure of which kit to go with, After some emails and phone calls (Or suggestions? ) I'll hopefully be able to make up my mind. What WILL be done this weekend, is getting the new half-top prepped, primed, painted and bolted on. Pics will be posted soon as its done!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you have a good plan.

i have one quick question. on the parts truck did you have a pass. side tail light and would you be willing to part it out?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 PM

I do plan on selling any and/or all parts from the runner I don't need, but Unfortunately, It didn't come with any tail lights, headlights....or ANY lights actually. >.< Sorry to hear about your broken tail light, I had to replace both of mine once, and the best place to go is a junk yard. One I went to locally had a pile of tail lights for toyotas o.O

Quick Reply: Mojave_Moze's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread!