86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mojave_Moze's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks awsome xcant wait to see the finished result
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had to order another 20ft of the DOM tubing cause we went through over half what we had o.O Should be getting finished up this Friday, as long as the weather is good...its seriously been windy for weeks now....>.<
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM

the fender looks awesome cant wait to see the finished product
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are luck its just wind. its pouring and hailing here. and its not suppose to be, its may it should be only sunny
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM

What you've got done so far is awesome can't wait to see the rest
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Rain and Hail? Sounds like fun! j/k

Thanks Jason, I'm happy with how the tubing is turning out, and I'm also taking the time to clean up the whole front end a bit. But now all I can think of is getting that Long travel suspension I always wanted. Because no matter how good the truck looks, making it perform good is important too .....speaking of which, theres been some issues I should probably look into, but can't figure out on my own

The biggest of which, is a horrid noise I get from somewhere in the drivetrain while I'm climbing a hill in either first or second gear in 4low-range. In 4-Hi, I don't hear any grinding, but in 4-lo, at lower RPMs, something sounds like its grinding, and BAD, but only in low RPMs and only in first or second gear, AND mostly only happens while hill climbing. Though the only time I ever use 4low is during a hill climb, so that might be unrelated.

Could this be as simple as replacing and/or filling the gear oil in the case and transmission? Cause despite the horrific noise, she pulls just fine, no jerking or bogging down. It acts completely normal during operation, but something just doesn't sound right...any ideas?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I wish I knew more about this end, .... but I would just ask the more knowledgeable guys on here, ..... would that be likely more Trans or tcase or Diff related? Hope you get it pinned down, quick, buddy.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM

mine made a grinding noise when in low gear when the oil was low and contaminated with a mess of stuff
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Yeah, I posted in the tech section and got similar replies so I'm gonna check the oil tonight. Only problem is all I have at the moment is royal puirple 140w gear oil in "stock" and can't buy different stuff until the weekend >.< Guess I'll have something to do while the Fabricator buddy is welding away on the other fender!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 PM

Had nothing to do tonight and I had 6 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil on my shelf begging to be used, so I swapped the gear oil in the case, and Poofo! No more noise! I guess this counts as a mod, so heres the pics:
Old Oil:

the small screw that somehow ended up in the case...

and the new High Performance Gear Oil! Look! It says "Increased Horsepower!" lol
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
Cant wait to see how the tube work comes out! Nicely done!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 AM

85w-140? Interesting, ....I must read up on the Syn-Transition, lol. First,....I must fix all the seals on my case, first! lol. Leaks like a pig. Good job, Moze! My Tcase oil looks like that, as well.

BTW; When you pulled the check-fill plug before draining, ...did gear oil come pouring out of there like crazy? Mine did, ...so I'm guessing it's overfull. Maybe that's my excessive drippage? lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 AM

BTW; When you pulled the check-fill plug before draining, ...did gear oil come pouring out of there like crazy? Mine did, ...so I'm guessing it's overfull. Maybe that's my excessive drippage? lol.
Actually, I removed the drain plug first, and only got, maybe 1/2 a quart of used oil out of it. But being overfilled could be a factor in leaking. I know theres a FEW seals I'll have to replace on both 3rds and the case probably. but the rear leaks more than the others really.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Yeah, ...well, the rear third pinion seal is pretty easy, even if it's on. Just tie up the d-shaft and mark the nut, then count the turns exactly, etc., yadda yadda, lol. Your axle seals leaking back there as well?

My T-case is leaking like a pig, but there's a lot of grease from over doing it on the zerk fittings(squirrrrrrrrrt) lol. I need to clean it up and then check it. Seems the Tcase has 3 main seals that leak.

Picked up the trans front bearing housing input shaft seal at Toyota, today...... WAY better quality and fit than that Napa one I picked up 'in case'. Dropped in without much struggle at all. If you remove the Tcase, ........should be a couple hour job to just remove the housings, pull out the inner cover and replace those 2 rear seals, then the front one(not sure on that one, haven't read that far, lol). I'm thinking about doing it while I'm waiting for the block.

You running the W56 Trans, too?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 PM

glad to hear that fixed your noise cant wait to see the fender tubing done
Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 PM

glad to hear that fixed your noise cant wait to see the fender tubing done
Thanks! Yeah, that noise was bugging me for a while now, it really was the only issue with the normal operation of my truck, lol. Shes old and dirty but runs like a champ!

As far as the tubing goes, my fabricator buddy is a busy man, I might have to do some begging and offer snacks drinks and cigarettes to get him to finish the job this weekend, lol. Hopefully it gets done, cause running around with only one fender...just looks weird, lol.

@Chef:
Um..I believe its the W56 yes. Its a standard 5-speed tranny. Which I will also be changing the fluid in soon, but the seal for the rear 3rd is really THAT easy to replace? O.o I've had the seal for a long time now but just been too concerned with putting the crush nut back in wrong or something, lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Thanks! Yeah, that noise was bugging me for a while now, it really was the only issue with the normal operation of my truck, lol. Shes old and dirty but runs like a champ!

As far as the tubing goes, my fabricator buddy is a busy man, I might have to do some begging and offer snacks drinks and cigarettes to get him to finish the job this weekend, lol. Hopefully it gets done, cause running around with only one fender...just looks weird, lol.

@Chef:
Um..I believe its the W56 yes. Its a standard 5-speed tranny. Which I will also be changing the fluid in soon, but the seal for the rear 3rd is really THAT easy to replace? O.o I've had the seal for a long time now but just been too concerned with putting the crush nut back in wrong or something, lol.
Yeah, I hear ya, Moze, ......and I've not done THIS one,...but have done Fords, Chevy's, etc., even a Cressida(could be MUCH different for all I know) The main thing, from what I DO know is that you have to make sure you get that nut to EXACTLY the same amount of turns, pre and post test the torque, etc. I would also video tape myself doing it, just to verify I got the count right, etc.. It helps to do this with a helper, so they can count and lend a hand with this or that, but not needed, from what I've experienced.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM

glad to hear you got it fixed man, its almost fri can we be exspecting more tubeing master work pics tom?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello Mojave.. I have been following your thread. Looks like you are making great progress.

I seen you coated your bed. Does that seem to help cut down on the road noise? I see you got the top off, but wondered if you had heard the difference with the top on, if you have had it back on. I am looking at this option.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Actually, the top got sold with a buddy's '84 runner before I could tell him that I was only letting him "borrow" it...but I did notice a reduction in rattling noise. I plan on adding another coat when I finish applying the bedliner to the rest of the floor boards. Welcome to the thread btw!

Quick Reply: Mojave_Moze's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread!