86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Mojave_Moze's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, forgot the most important part! The new rigs a 2000 Toyota 4runner SR5. V6 3.4, 4x4, automatic, power everything, sun roof, premium sound (gonna beef that up for sure, lol) 180k. stock rims and tires (also gonna change soon) Got a long weekend coming up so everyone be sure to check out the first round of small mods in my new build thread!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Looks good, room for extra toys (inside and out)
Good luck with it and kentucky........
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Nice, buddy of mine bought it's twin (with a mashed driver bumper corner) a few months ago in Ohio.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 PM

dug up some trail pics from a while ago! Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 PM

Name:  sweetrig.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  243.9 KB

Name:  nightmare.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  180.0 KB
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 AM

Guess whos back
Back Again

Been awhile, mostly due to army things, but also mostly to not having been able to touch my truck in years as its been stored at home. But luckily, once I return from my current deployment, I'll be once again, focusing on my good ol' blueberry.
As for an update, no new mods or anything, I have spent a bit of $$$ keeping her "functioning", which, after said years, she will still fire up with some tampering and runs somewhat well. Probably needs a couple cans of sea foam and it'll be back to normal. I've managed to get her running enough to get registered and street legal once again in the great state of Texas. Upon my return, she will likely be in the works for some MASSIVE maintenance ops as well as new shoes and paint! My main focus will just be getting her good enough to hit the trails that El Paso has to offer. But it will be another few months before I can get back home and get wrenching again. My time in the military is coming to an end in less than a year so I thought it was a good time to get back to what I missed most (besides my new german Fiance ) wrenching on my yota. Also in the future: a New Tundra!! Gotta have a big yota to tow the lil yota!

Anyway, to those who still follow and are interested: I'M BACK!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you've still got the 4Runner. Stay safe on your deployment. And, congrats on the engagement!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:11 AM

Thanks!
Coming back on here has once again made me realize I have yet to answer the biggest question of all....
WHICH motor to swap in. So begins weighing the options, power to weight, reliability, and most importantly, the level of difficulty lol. I'm a bit rusty (pun intended?) on my wrenching skills, but thanks to this forum, I have all the answers I need.
I was originally going to just go ham and do the chevy 350 swap, but I'm now thinking about staying true to Toyota and using a 1uz or 5uz, so got some research to do.
What everyone whos still following can look forward to is some resurrection pics in the Fall sometime, and most likely some other basic mods and paint restoration. Also, El Paso has LOTS of pull-a-part yards, as well as old yotas to pick from. Since I am away from my old stomping grounds in Cali, I no longer (for now) have the ability to just get a whole parts truck, but will definitely be doing some shopping once I get back.
The side bars and rear tube bumper will likely stay, and eventually get beefed up, I'd like to re-finish them and make em look all new and rust free.
The tube fenders are going to remain open for now, because my original fear was that I wouldn't be able to register without complete fenders, but fortunately, she was able to pass inspection with out issue (besides $400 in parts and lights and fuel pump)
Future major modifications still include:
-Motor swap
-Full cage
-Chevy 63" leaf springs and beefed up shock setup
-T100, or Tacoma rear axle swap (electric locker)
-Rear bucket seats and custom dash

All that SHOULD get it to where I want it to be, at least for a while lol. We all know that work on the project rig is never really complete. Junk yard parts shopping will commence once I'm back stateside, but until then, motor swap research shall continue, and if anyone has suggestions, feel free!
Old 06-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
holy hell, moze is still kickin?! sweet! nice to see an old face (or rather name) around here.

motor swap, motor swap. hmm... want power, mileage, reliability, turbo, supercharged, etc? theres the standard swaps you can do, but, personally, ive never been a fan of those swaps. ive been eyeballing that 2.8R Cummins motor. would be a hot little swap. good power, good mileage, great torque, turbocharged, kinda heavy, but should be ok.

anways, good to see hear from ya again! congrats on the engagement! cant wait to see what you got in store.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:44 AM

Thanks so much! Its good to be back!
Still wondering who all is still active on here. But I also havent seen many other chaos write-ups, so might go into better detail over the whole build one of these days.
I did finally make a choice, upon reading into it further, especially thanks to Offroad Solutions write-up, I'll be going with the tried-and-true 3.4 5uz swap and a manual trans out of a 3.0 equipped model (R150 i believe is the type) Seems to be the best options to go with as I'm definitely wanting to keep it manual. So with that tough decision made, I can begin the hunt for parts and make a detailed list of things to acquire before beginning the swap. Gonna have me some fun in the junkyards when I get home.

In other news. the 2000 4runner is no more
Germany has claimed it for its own, and it shall never again grace the trails of america....not that I would have ripped out its motor or anything....to be honest if I had managed to keep it, it would have remained a daily driving rig, still with some mods, while the blue yota would have gotten a different motor upgrade. But alas, some plans don't work out. I am happy to still have the 87 and can't wait to dig back into that project upon my return!
Until then, plenty of time to plan, shop online, and plan some more. We all know we never go right into a project without planning!.....right?.....