86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Locked_SR5 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aww Sweet MAN!!!! Dude you are gonna be getting the same bumper i planned to get. Looks so awesome right! Cant wait to see your build on the bumper. Make sure to post it on this thread when you finally do get the bumper thread up.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANG that mud flap mod came out really nice, man! I really need to modify my stock ones up front... The 32's rub on the edge of them at full turn/stuff... Don't wanna tear off the originals... so rare I see em still in tact! lol. But that looks GREAT, honest.... factory even, I'm not exaggerating.

Sooooo, ....the fan you had on, for not to long,....it was aftermarket and it failed.... so you went Aisin? NICE! I can't believe mine hasn't had an issue after nearly 300K... but hey, it is an Aisin, right?

Nice work, sir, ...really!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both your's and chefyota's trucks are amazing keep up the good work. Hopefully someday I will be able to sas my 95
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chef, Yes it was an aftermarket clutch.. It was much thinner than the aisin.. I figure it wasn;t an expensive part so might as well install a factory replacement since I wont do the 3.4 swap as soon as I expected.. I don't want a lot of downtime while Im prepping the body for paint.. Also, my pops and I have been discussing paint, and tt looks like I talked him into painting my runner (hell, I may paint a little of it so I can say it did that too).. Most likely going with a dual stage paint, a base coat, then the clear, which will need to be buffed out.. He says it'll last longer and easier to touch up if needed.

And in other news, guess who I just placed an order with? The part will be here in a couple of weeks.. and I'm very excited about that..

Other than that, nothing really exciting to report about, just making a custom cargo holder for the bikini top I made.. Will post pics soon..

Also, not sure if I introduced myself to anyone, but my name is Kyle.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Hey everybody!

Long time, no post.. I did order the CBI rear bumper, but it has been a hassle.

First, I placed an order for the bumper. they said it would be 4 weeks out because the product was so new. I wasn't bothered by that, but after 6 weeks I still did not receive the bumper. Sent a follow-up email and said that they totally dropped the ball and would make things right. I received the bumper about a week later and with a few of their T-shirts.

Secondly, when i got the bumper there was no paper work and about 3 days later received an email saying that they didn't include the install instructions (step by step and pictorial) and a parts list. Those were emailed to me and when looking at the instructions, I noticed that they didn't include all the parts.. I'm missing the 1.5-inch tubing that goes from the side plates to frame, tube from bumper to crossmember and the tube that goes from bumper bracket to bumper bracket that supports the 2-inch receiver.. So, that's where I am currently at.. waiting for the parts from the bumper I ordered 2 months ago..

In the mean time I've been working on what I could.. Pics to follow of the build..
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, Kyle.... sorry to hear! Richard was going to grab that... but it'll have to wait til he's acquired all the goodies to complete his SAS... etc. lol. Stuff adds up, man! But I can't wait to see it on someone's rig on Yotatech. Now I'm kinda bummed to hear this.

Honestly can't wait to see it painted and all the rest... ROLLIN! ...thing is sick, Kyle... You've done VERY nice work... and it's a CAPABLE beast... Whether turning heads at the mall OR climbing lions back or WHATEVER you choose, lol. I'm excited FOR ya! haha.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM

So here is a few pics of the rear bumper.

I had to modify the rear bumper since I had a 1.5-inch body lift. Was told that I incorporate the lift into the build, which I dont see as possible without a huge gap associated with body lifts..

you can see the hole on the bottom left. I slid the bumper bracket up and redrilled 0.5-inch (hole upper left and lower right bolts). I cut off the bolt hole location that is no longer used.
All said and done, I'll have a 1/4-inch gap and the tailgate does not rub.

outside of bracket

inside of bracket. You can really see how I shifted the bumper bracket up to account for the body lift. I think this would work for people with a 2-inch body lift too (they would have a 3/4-inch gap).

Here is the crossmember brackets that I'll weld the missing tubes to

I started mocking up the bumper, checking out the fit and finish, and grinding the edges flat and rounding the corners for a nice finish.

Here is the mock up and yes its upside down.

Here is and example of the fit and finish I was talking about. Needed to grind down the ends of the curved tube to get things flush.

1/4-inch gap

Once I get a chance I'll post the instructions and pics when I get a chance

take care..
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 AM

Oh gosh... so much drama for that bumper! I seriously hope I don't thought anything as nearly as bad as you have so far. I what the front CBI bumper that I posted earlier. I almost went ahead and bought it recently for the Christmas sale that's going on, but that's easily $550 I can use to pay off most of the missing SAS parts I need. So I'm holding off till I finally have everything I need.
I'm itching to see what happens next with your bumper situation. Good luck man.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Hey everyone. Here r pix of bumper mock up. Went well, write up to follow. Computer trouble.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM

Damn its coming out nicely. Looking forward to see it painted.
Good job dude
Old 09-27-2021, 09:23 PM

Phoenix.....

An 8 year bump! Been on a hiatus for some time now.. Did a bunch of moto-crossing, got married, had a couple kids, new career and now have another vehicle project.. 1985 Vanagon Westfalia and a 1991 Vanagon Syncro that I am currently building for camping with the kiddos. Never fear, I still am in possession of this 4 runner (still start it from time to time) and will finish this build.. I just wanted to check on and say that I have not forgot about this forum, or forgot about this build. Hope to engage with you all soon and show my other builds.

Take Care!
The following users liked this post:
5 Fists (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 08:23 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Glad to hear youre still around! If you ever need help with anything and are still in Sac, let me know. theres a few of us sac guys who get together to wrench and when our piles arent broken, we wheel.