iamsuprman13's 93' Toyota Pickup Extracab 4x4 V6 AT Frame Up Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring = Pain in the rear
But it doable.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:24 PM

So it has been quite a while since I was on last, when I lost time to work on my truck I also lost time to do really anything. I have been so darn busy with work, it has been beyond ridiculous. Just to name a few times, I have three training exercises back to back, one that was two weeks away at A.P. Hill in Virginia, and then two weeks away from home here at Bragg in the field...and then a month in my beautiful home of California over at Ft Irwin. It was really sad for me because I was so close to home, yet so far away. Now that I am back from that I have one week and then I will be once again gone for three weeks here on Bragg but not able to come home...but this time it is for a class. Not a training exercise. So I have been and will continue to be super busy through October, however I miss the community here and so I am going to make a special effort to make time for yotatech, and I TRULY miss working on my truck so I will be putting forth a super extra effort to get out into the garage, uncover my project from the pile up of stuff, and get to work on it again!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

So I did alot of work on it over the last two days, got alot of stuff pulled off...it is so close to being ready to remove the cab...I will resize and post the pics from this weekend as soon as possible!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Okay guys here is the latest update to my project...

So to start with I need to introduce a few of my new toys...boy do I love getting toys...lmao

My new cherry picker! and an Engine stand...both fold up of course!

and finally a tool that is absolutely necessary for the next stage of my project!

The sand blaster! I got the sandblaster on clearance for half off because it was a return...and the only problem it has is that it is missing the air hose...which I have many of...and the mask which doesn't matter since I would not have used the one that came with it anyway...and the safety check valve is broken...I will have to get another one from somewhere...I haven't looked for one yet but I am sure that it will be easy to find!

So now on to my project!

So I got to work getting ready to pull the engine.

I hooked up the puller and started unbolting everything!

Of course by the time I got everything unbolted and the tranny/transfer on a jack it was dark...lmao!

Then I lowered the tranny so that it was completely supported by the engine puller.

Then I started pulling and jerking and moving the puller to do what anyone who has pulled an engine like this knows...it doesn't just happen! LMAO!!!

Finally the engine started showing it's ugly little head

And then some more shoving, pulling, and yanking!

Until finally we ran into a problem!

If you can't tell exactly what the problem is, here is a closer look!

Yeah I hadn't even considered the roof when i started pulling it, otherwise I would have moved the truck back farther! So instead I had to do what I could to level the engine out and bring the back up some more! I ended up having to jump in the engine bay and lift the transfer case up and over the radiator support.

Then I rolled the truck back out the way...

and started lowering the engine...of course that didn't go as planned...

Now here is where I explain how we dropped the engine...yes, we did, we dropped it, thankfully it with me and my buddy standing and hanging off the other end it fell slow, as well as sliding down the front of the truck, nothing was damaged!
Your surprised, think about how surprised I was...now to the explanation...
So............when I put the cherry picker together I used the wrong size bolts for the middle wheels, which caused the legs not to sit fully down, so i couldn't use the correct looking pins to lock the legs in place...so instead of being a knowledgeable and intelligent mechanic, (at least the one I believe I am after this many years of working in the field) I decided to use an easier quicker solution of using something smaller...thinking oh it will be fine! So what happened, the pin slid out! And that leg collapsed, of course it didn't happen til I started lowering it and put the pressure on the front legs...completely my fault! So now back to the project, lmao!

So I hooked up the chain and lifter it back up...

Then I sat it back down straight and shortened up the chains...

So we moved it into the garage a little ways and then decided to drop the tranny and transfer, because after it falling, it bent a wheel on the cherry picker...so it became a big hassle moving it anywhere...

It took me about five minutes of it not separating to remember that I had to unbolt the torque converter...I was like, "Wait, I have to unbolt it" "Doh!"
So after that it was a flash!

And then we moved the engine and then the tranny to the back of the garage out of the way for now...I will get to them later, when I get them ready to be sold off..

That was it for the night...it was already about 9 by that time and we hadn't had dinner yet or anything, so that was it...

The next day was short for me but I got a good amount done..in only a few hours I got alot of stuff off!

So I can't wait to get all these parts sold off so I can fund the rest of the build...that was it so far...thanks for all the encouragement guys! Soon I hope to have the steering column out and the rest of the small little stuff, so I can pull the cab, and get to the frame restore!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 PM

That's a hell load of pictures buddy !
But still, I want more !! More MORE lol.

Keep going bro.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I love pics too, I actually went through the whole thread with my wife looking at how far I have come with it...jut wow, lots of pics, and I have hundreds more that I don't post...but I use what I have to, to get the point across, sometimes i go a little overboard but the more pics the better right! I am still on the tear down phase, that makes me sad..I can't wait soon I will be in the restore and then finally the rebuild...sadly the restore may not be done before I deploy in February so it may have to wait until I get home...however this is suppose to be a 7 to 9 month deployment...so the sooner I get home the sooner I will be able to finish it...plus the money from deployment will be everything I need to finish her off strong!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM

So I just found a great deal! One that puts me so much farther ahead in my build. I found my engine. So in my search for the engine I found a guy who has a 1UZFE for sale, it needs a valve job, and the timing chain snapped...and he is parting with it for 150 bucks. I am picking it up tomorrow night about this time. So a little over 24 hours from now I will have the engine for my project. Since I planned on rebuilding whatever engine I got, it is perfectly acceptable for me to buy an engine that needs work. The engine had 139K on it when it was pulled. It is also coming with the wiring harness, everything but the ECU itself sadly. But I have time to find that later, since I am still gonna need to find a tranny too...lmao, and finish restoring the truck...so guys, let me know what you think!
Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello suprmn..Great find on the motor. Sorry to hear you got to go over to the sand box again. I have been back from there over a year from now. We hauled things from base to base and when not on my home base and had some down time, I was on the computer looking at ebay and craigslist for parts.

You will eventually come across some great deals on the parts you need and through Paypal, I would get them when I found them. Wife was always saying I had a new parts in the mail. Got most for cheap. Gave me something to look forward to and made my projects when I got back home so much fun as I didnt have to save for parts.

As you have already been there and know what is available over there. -cough- That is also -cough- another source of parts. Hopefully you get a small base. Stay out of Bagram, there are alot of buttheads on that base. I based at Sharana and it was supposed to be the new Bagram. It was nice when we got there but the Air Force started handing out tickets like it is candy, when we were leaving. They are going overboard on the rules now.

Take alot of pics so when yo get back you can remember how it all goes back togther. That long away you will be glad you did when you get back. You will forget something.

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-18-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM

Oh I know about them pictures...I have close to 400 posted on this forum, that isn't nearly a 1/4 of the pictures I have saved of the project. I have pictures from every angle, of every part, and of bolts and everything so that way when I start putting stuff together I can have a good reference...

So....I went and picked up the motor today, took a but longer than I would have liked...but for some reason that always happens when you are going somewhere you aren't familiar with...the wife got her friend to watch the kids, so she went with me...we turned it into a little road trip...however, to my horror, I found that the antenna port on my stereo broke off from inside, and as most people know, for some reason the headunits won't power on without it...so I made the whole trip either without music, or with our cellphone between our heads playing pandora...it was pretty bad, especially over the loud exhaust my truck has....

Driving back with the engine was fun, it was perfectly still until the last mile...I guess I turned just right to slide the block out and it started wobbling back and forth in the bed...my wife was going crazy, OMG it is gonna fall out...I was just laughing...I knew that as long as I watched the corners it would be fine...but she was funny...

So right now the truck is sitting in my yard with the engine chained to the bed with a lock, I will take and post pics of everything in the morning! See you later guys!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:49 AM

You do really good work man i wanna see how this truck turns out
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Thanks man, so I have been working on my truck and on my garage all day, but I'm not done yet...I will throw up some teaser pics while I'm here however!

Here is the only pic that came out have decent in the whole drive...damn that sucks...driving back to the house with the engine!

Sorry for the cell phone quality!

So here is a teaser of the engine!

I am so excited to get working on this but first I have something that must be done first!

The garage must be cleaned, I have been lazy about it, throwing things around stacking parts on tools and tools on parts, and not organizing...and it drives me nuts...so I have to clean and organize the garage before I do anything else with my truck, or the new powerplant for it!

I am also running out of space so I need to reorganize it so that I can actually do my work!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 AM

This thing going to be wheelable by early next year?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 AM

plans for engine yet? ur killin me, a 4b cummins would be awesome!!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM

I have been super busy, I have the new engine and have been tearing into...don't worry I have lots of pictures of my progress with everything...I will be posting another set of pics with the updates later tonight, I am still busy, this time the wife has me helping her clean up for Thanksgiving! So I will be back on later to update everyone...

Stock as Possible....I would love to have this baby trail ready early next year, but I don't think that is gonna be possible...if I were to come upon enough money I could physically do it...but in the time frame that I will be coming upon money, I fear that I will be deploying before I get her finished, thankfully this deployment is only 7 months long...and alot of the money I make while I am over there will be going to my truck...so when I get back I would say within a couple months she will be good to go...so before I deploy I am gonna have as much of it done as possible, so I can get her ready faster when I get home...
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 PM

Okay so like I promised I would update everyone on what I have been up too...

First I was left with just having picked up the engine...and I realized that I really didn't have enough room to even work on it...so I needed to clean the garage up...

So there it is the engine and cherry picker in the back of my little truck, look at how much it sags..

So as I said I needed to clean up the garage...

So I started pulling everything out and cleaning up the garage...

I had quite a lot of stuff sitting out there...

Of course while I was working on the garage I was working on the truck...so I had to snap a few of the truck as it was sitting...

So then I pulled the cherry picker off the truck so I could lift the engine...
This is the sag with just the engine

And this is regular height...

So I got the engine picked up and moved it around to set it on the engine stand...

And there I am with it finally on the stand...

And while I was at it I found a place to store my cherry picker...I was surprised at how nicely it actually did fit...

So I put the engine up into the garage and went over the truck one more time...it is now at the point where all I need to do is pull the six mounting bolts and I can lift the body off the frame...so I started looking again at the cab for where the rust spots were, so I would know what I need to patch up...

Inside the cab behind the foot rest area...

The same hole inside the fender well...

And the same hole slightly into the engine bay...

The driver side panel behind the door...

and the pass side...

and the rear of the cab....

So I knocked out the rust to see where what actually damage there is...

Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM

So I started working on the engine the next chance I got, and so I have been picking at it here and there...my plan is to completely rebuild the engine...make it so that when I first start it up in the truck it will be like new... so here is a few of the tear down pics of the engine....
It starts with my freshly cleaned garage...

and my new to me engine...

I drained out all of the fluids....

and started removing everything...

And of course just as quickly as I cleaned it was filled with parts again...

and yet some more parts removed...

so in my laziness I connected my pully puller to the front lip on the pulley instead of to the back, and i damaged it....

and then I flipped it over....

and there is my crank...nice and oily...

What do you guys think? I really want your guys opinions and comments...I love hearing what you guys have to say...so thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:29 AM

6 bolts main !
I love that engine. Strong as hell, trust me
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM

Oh I believe you, I can't wait to test it out...I have heard how amazing this engine is and read a bunch of the builds on here that have it...it has me very excited about building it!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM

Okay so yesterday I decided to start working on the wiring...So I put down out paint blanket in the living room, brought the wiring and a cardboard box in, and sat down and started working on stripping the trash off of the harness.

About 3 hours later I finally had everything off.

After having it stripped down I started looking over everything...

Then I sat down and started drawing out the wiring diagram. I don't have a printer so I am drawing out the whole diagram on graph paper...

I'll let you know if I continue or if I just go and get it printed out!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 AM

lol find a friend with a printer. Or, get a new friend. Lots of wires in that harness.
about 70% that you dont need.
Good luck bro. You will need some

Quick Reply: iamsuprman13's 93' Toyota Pickup Extracab 4x4 V6 AT Frame Up Rebuild