86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

FasTech's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FasTech's 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Hello all, I'm new to the fourm but I'm enjoying it so far. I just purchased this 1986 Yota from a good friend of mine's dad. He was the 2nd owner and put tons of money into it while he owned it. The motor took a dump on him and he was in need of money, so I got a super good deal on it.

Cons & Pros:

I'll start with the Con's:

Bad paint. (Faded bed mostly)
Bad motor.
Dash, seat, & carpet have normal wear and tear.

Pros:

31" BF Goodrich all terrain tires. (80% tread all around)
All Rancho Suspension.
All new Poly bushings.
VERY light body damge. (Tailgate is rusted and a slight dent on the lower part of the bed).
Aftermarket wheels. (Any idea's to what brand they are?).

Progress #1:

*Removed motor and did complete tear down. (Bearings were shot.)

I hate all this cluster! I've built 2 Honda's and somehow I want to tuck must of this. Plus, the Weber carb should remove some of those vacumn lines.

Completely tore down and ready for the machine shop.

*Removed bed gaurd. (NO eat-through rust in bed at all.)

*Removed tailgate. Rather not have one at all until I find one with no rust.

ALOT of cleaning with TONS more to go. Truck sat for 3 months without any attention.

Motor Plan List:

*.20 Bore.
*Full master engine rebuild kit.
*NEW rods and crank.
*Torker cam.
*Port and Polish head w/ oversized valves.
*Weber 32/36 carb.
*Pace Setter polished header.

I hope to have this moving along quickly as the engine will be in the machine shop within the next week. So hopefully, I'll have it up and running pretty good before the end of November.

Much more to come. Thanks, FasTech.

Last edited by FasTech; 09-15-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man welcome. looks like a good project. good luck on the build
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

good luck! Hope to see wheeling pictures asap
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech! We have the same truck! Check out engnbldr.com and lcengineering.com when looking for your engine stuff...many people on this site swear by engnbldr, I haven't had the pleasure to use them yet but look forward to this winter.

Congrats on your new truck! You've found a great site with tons of info and many helpful members.

Last edited by 86 TOY; 09-14-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone! I am loving the feedback and I surely look forward to this build. I've never done a 4wd build. I've always been a car guy. lol. Other than the machine work, I'll be doing everything myself. Engine build, fab work, etc. I've had my fair share of experience. Tommorrow afternoon, I will snap photos of what I've done so far and then I plan to start pulling the interior out. Clean it up and I'm really nervous to see the floor pans. They feel solid from above the carpet, but we all know how that can be sometimes. I also wanna take a photo from up under the truck. I promise, it'll show you how well this truck has been taken care of. Not one speck of mud residue or rust.

Brainstorm Idea: Ryhno-lining the interior floor and up under the truck? Ideas? Just something I thought about and would love to hear ya'lls opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy has the floor on his yota bedlined and its nice. my dad has his floor in his jeep lined to and it was nice to just get a hose and wash it down.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
my buddy has the floor on his yota bedlined and its nice. my dad has his floor in his jeep lined to and it was nice to just get a hose and wash it down.
UPDATED in OP!!!

Yeah, I got the idea from another fourm. Looked really good, but I was worried about added extra weight. I'm deff gonna do something up under the truck. Just to keep rust from starting and the extra strength.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM

No updates these past couple of days. Just been more less focused on getting a good machine shop on the phone for some estimates. Between that and work, I've been fairly busy. lol. Tommorrow I will have some cleaning updates, so be prepared. I'll be gutting the interior and such. Plan to add some nice bucket seats and loose the horrible bench seat. Then maybe I can custom fab up some sort of center console.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Progress #2:

Today, I've started interior tear-down. We all know the how-to's on that so I'll get to the pictures.

First, we start with atlittle of this...

and get to work. lol.

Before I touched anything. You can see the bench seat is rough. I hate it and it will not be going back into the truck. The door panels are fine and the headliner also. The dash has two cracks.

Got both door panels off without any problems what so ever.

On both doors, these are rotted. So I hope I can find replacements on ebay or off another parts truck at the pick-in-pull down the road.

Then I removed the seat and found all this up under it. Someone was a trash horder.

Before:

After:

Any idea's to getting this sound deadener up? Besides dry ice method. After I get that up, I'll move onto applying the bedliner to the floor cab and back panel behind the seat. Then I plan to wrap the door panels, headliner, and sun visors in Mossy Oak fabric.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by FasTech; 09-23-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Found a machine to my liking. So, it'll be getting worked on this week. So not many updates until I get the block back. I've already put it order for the Master rebuild kit. Its going to be moving alittle slower than I thought. I'm replacing just about everything. Complete front light assembly, tail lights, grill, interior, etc. All to my main goal of keeping it simple. I still have some pictures from the interior tear down. I'll post them tommorrow. I'll probably go ahead and herculine the interior cab floor and back. Not sure what seats I'll be using thought. I'm kinda showing favor towards the srt-4 seats. Something to hug my back but confortable at the same time.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Progress #3:

*Block is in the machine shop as I type! Should be done within the week. (Fingers crossed) But he cut me a good deal since the guy I bought it from has done previous work for him and they were friends.

Not many pic's yet, but here's a teaser of the interior lining I've started...

And boy is this stuff expensive. $11 a can. And I've already went through 1 just on the back wall and passenger door. I can already see I will need atleast 5 more cans because I wanna do a complete 2nd coat on the entire thing. I'll have more pic's very soon because it won't take but mabe another day or two to complete this. Just hard because mornings and nights are too cold to paint, and its hard doing things in the middle of the day with a fulltime job.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Very nice!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 PM

^ Thanks, man. Sorry I havent had any updates lately. Between my girls b-day and other matters, I just haven't had time to do anything. I did get some stuff done last night.. but I haven't been able to get any pictures. I've been at work all day but I will snap some tommorrow.

I did manage to snag the front bumper off to start basing for a custom setup. Unless I can find a brush gaurd for cheap then I'll just fab it to fit my winch. Also.. I started cleaning the front end. I plan to re-do the entire wiring system so I want to restore the entire engine bay. I wonder how much a new harness would cost me. I want to re-paint the bay, and armor coat the axles and other misc parts such as the control arms and such to look new. And replace the needed stuff. Pic's coming soon.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bedlined my interior but i used the cheapie stuff at autozone..was like 6 a can i think...and yes very nice project, wait till you start wheeling, ohhhhhh the mods will come
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM

2011 Update: Haven't forgot about updating. And I'm sorry I haven't been posting updates. I found out my gf was pregnant and with the move, I've been SUPER busy.

No pic's right this sec. But, tommorrow I'll snap some in the daylight.

So far, ...

Machine work was done.
Assembled the motor.
Set the motor in the truck and started hooking stuff up.

But I'm lacking some stuff. My weber carb and my new radiator I ordered from Toyota. All bolts (bell-housing, pressure plate, flywheel, intake, exhaust, etc etc), nuts and washers were purchased from Toyota. Along with just about every motor part I replaced, besides gaskets.. Thanks felpro. As soon as the radiator and Weber arrive, I'll be firing it up.

I've also managed to get some body work done. Found some missing front end pieces, pulled most of that little dent on the bottom of the bed, and under cab lined the entire thing.

PICS COMING SOON!!!