86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dreidel's budget build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreidel's budget build thread

so ive finally started my build thread and this is what ive started out with
a 95 base toyota pickup 22re nothin special but i like it

bought it for 750 with a knock in the motor (dont flame here seemed like a super deal at the time and i have just turned 16 the month before) not a whole lot of pics from the begining but i still got some
the knock turned out to be a rod knock and lasted about a month before taking a dump(didnt drive home) and at the time i didnt have the money so it got new bearings and was patched that lasted a whole month and did it again and drove home that time because my step dad had loaned out our trailer when i pulled up my step mom who was watching tv actually looked out the window to see who was making all the noise sad day.
truck sat for about 2 months and my dad graciously paid for the new crank kit from my truck. (he just didnt want to keep driving his 460 fbb back and forth to me and my siblings schools) so i got to work tearing it apart and dont have any pics of the rebuild process but it was costly to say the least (damn you oriley's )
got it all put back together and when i put the distributor back in my dad was like no thats wrong pulled it out and put it 180 degrees backward and surprise wouldnt start, figured that out and found a fuel leak had to take off the upper plenum to get to where it was leaking. ( dont work with fuel when smoking dad) so he undid the banjo bolt on the cold start injector and the lines were still pressurized and lots of fuel came misting and two people standing there were smoking. couldve been bad imo but nothing happened. put the distibutor back in right and fired right up.
drove great for a couple months stupid me never check the oil in the rear diff because it never leaked. turns out the breather was clogged and the pressure inside ripped the pinion seal so it would never leak at a stop but would leak here and there while it was moving so basically i never saw it. (ive learned to check all oils now) any my "awesome" boss calls me late at night while camping saying i need to come in at six the next morning at this point pretty while been mad the rest of the night and onto the next morning. get up at 5 drive 45 minutes into town only to find out its raining in town (i work outside and when it rains its my day off) kinda excited now that i dont have to work and start heading back to the came site and about 2 miles from my campsite at 730 (so nobody at my site was up) it started vibrating real bad so i pulled over. got out looked around got back in and tried to take off and it moved about 6 inches and zinggggggg there goes the pinion teeth. so i started my walk down the rest of the highway and through the camp grounds and chill outside in the drizzle with no hoodie blah blah blah towed home and proceded to talk my mom into saying it was a better and cheaper way to sas my truck instead of replace the diff since i had most of the parts to do the sas anyway. (now dont start think that this truck has just been fixxed for me several times i have had to pay back for most of this and have yet to pay back for the motor rebuild but i did fund some of that myself) thanks to my step dad we talked my mom into letting me borrow her truck while mine got cooler
sorry i didnt take a step by step pics but i do have after pics now i know everybody told me i cant use sfa steering but i didnt have a 4wd ifs steering box and couldnt afford a hysteer kit. so you are forewarned anyway heres some finished pics

over all i would say i havent done too bad there are some clearance issues between the diff and the oil pan but i try to avoid big dips around town because i have found them the hard way. over all not including wheels and tires it cost roughly 400 dollars including cost of parts and and axles tranny blah blah blah ect. however i have yet to convert to hysteer but will hopefully be soon
i have also deleted the door buzzer without getting rid of the door light and the light buzzer heres the thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f131...e-pics-254141/
future plans sofar consist of
-f250 rears ruf
- power window and locks
-basically a full sr5 convertion
-hysteer and when i get it done i will post the link
-rv2 on board air
-beefy bumpers with hopeful hydro winch
-hitch and brake controller so i can tow moms trailer safely (83 toyota brakes suck)
i cant think of anymore with this headache and im sure i will post more later

thanks for viewing
Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here are some diagrams for you.

Name:  WIRES.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  112.1 KB

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You SAS'd a 2wd pickup? Can't say I've ever heard of that.. You gotta put some pictures up of the truck and its new stance!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on some pics of the stance. Was going to say you should build a pretty sweet prerunner but took a total different direction. Lets see her!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM

i ended up keeping 2wd springs in the rear and they flex great however the truck sags in the rear kinda like somebody put a leveling kit on and never put the adl in the rear
here it is sitting level
Name:  image-8.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  181.3 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  76.1 KB
this was my favorite pic from kansas rocks by fort scott

the truck proved it was very capable down there, at first the idea was we were just going to stay on the green circle trails (beginner description states that 4wd likly needed most stock vehicles do well) then on the first trail we took it forked into 2 blue squares (intermediate description states minimum 32in tires rear locker, and winch) so we took a blue square trail and found out they were fun so all we did for the rest of the day untill trying to get back to the raffle without a map and ended up following the omaha jeep club a black diamond to get out to get back to the raffle in time (black diamond is the hardest trail where the discription in the brochure says minimum 35in tires, front and rear locker, winch, and spare parts) all i had was spare parts and while it needed a push (by 3 guys not a truck) to get through one obsticle it only got stuck twice in the same mud hole, all in all it was a good day and i was proud of my yota
these are the pics from yesterday at school for seniors last day actually got in trouble for this one but everybody said the yota couldn't do it so had to prove them wrong
Name:  image-6.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  231.0 KB
Name:  image-5.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  232.8 KB
Name:  image-4.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  200.3 KB
Name:  image-3.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  203.5 KB
Name:  image-2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  223.7 KB

several trucks tried to get on it but the only other truck to make it up was a 03 chevy with roughly 8in lift and brand new 35in mt's , the ford in the backround was one of the trucks that failed. my truck currently sits on 30/9.5/r15 all terrains need less to say the guys that failed were mad and the people watching picked on the people that failed
all the springs are stock and honestly the fronts suck i have all the stuff to lift except for hysteer but then it will be getting ford f250s minus overload and very bottom leaf and a ruf pack combined from 83 rear pack and my 2wd 95 pack and hopefully flex way better
end goal for the truck is d60 front 14b rear 37in mtr's on military double beadlock rims with a bed bod possibly a extra cab on a reg cab frame and double bed bob or just a flat bed just spit balling here

Last edited by Dreidel; 05-17-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Ok trucks been running bad since last June and its got me to the point where I started throwing parts at it and nothing's help everything ignition been replaced except for igniter an coil the common splice tht gets corroded in the fuel injection circuit has been fixed and I fixed a very bad ground that comes out of the alternator harness and bolts to block
There is one ground that should be hooked to the Ac compressor but I didn't know that when I was putting the motor back together so it's connected to the intake. Whould this cause problems? This missing problem is getting on my nerves and is makin me contemplate putting a carb on it any suggestions
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Ok so I found a new ecu for the truck and I plugged it in and at first it didn't start but about the fourth or fifth try it starts and has abosolutly no miss at all, didn't rev very good though so I check the tps sensor, it's bad the idle and fully closed setting is perfect but you can't adjust it so its in the accepted range for wot so I replaced it with another used tps runs great at idle but its throwing codes 24 and 31. It idles fine and revs ok but not good but if the engine gets put under load ( anything more than the mildest acceleration) it will just stop making power like no fuel unless you literally put your foot on the floor then it runs normal but only if your foot is on the floor or your barley touching the pedal
What do you guys think in kinda leaning towards fuel pump
Oh and I replaced the afm sinse that's what the codes said