86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

CrazyCat's 1990 4X4 toyota p/u build-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CrazyCat's 1990 4X4 toyota p/u build-up

hey all im back and now with a new2me 1990 4X4 toyota p/u.
Shes got a 22R-E, 5-speed Manuel, ext cab, bald p225/70/R15's on a set of O.E.M steelies, 122,xxx km.

I picked up my new rig for 500$cdn from a co-worker that is moving out of the Provence.
It had a blown head gasket due to water pump failure and overheating. At which point his father removed all the parts necessary for the replacement procedure, but his life demanded his attention else ware and the truck was left in the garage for bout 2 years.
This time had took its price on the exposed cylinders, the walls of two of the four have mild surface rust and upon further inspection the driverside plastic timing chain guide was broke and there was the nifty grooves that the timing chain left, however there is no antifreeze in my oil and the timing chain seems new so im assuming in this engines history it had a broken guide, the owner caught it in time b4 the timing cover was breached (i hope) . i haven't removed the timing chain cover yet iv just visually inspected the engine. i have a trail buddy that lives up the road and he had the same groove problem and he said he patched it with JB wield and that was 2 years ago.

anyway Phase 1

clean up the eng compartment and remove the rest of the parts required to access the affected areas and preform an in-depth inspection of the engine.

Keep in mind the deepest iv been into a 22re is replacing the intake gaskets on my 86 pickup so this is going to be quite the adventure... mind you iv read up on the 22RE plenty if times and im also armed with my haines Manuel and im quite mechanically inclined.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds fun,

Engines are actually pretty easy, just time consuming and needs attention paid to details.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 AM

The head and related components went on easy. the jb weild is holding tight in the grooves the t-chain left and no leaks!
she flashed up right away and idled roughly until i fixed the timing.
tada running truck Neat! and 500km later checked the head bolt torque and adjusted valves. Now 1500kms down the road still no leaks yay!
bad news is the clutch is now pretty much finished, new cluch my a... and i have a misterious idle issue when braking, when the peddle is depressed it surges but i have a hunch its my idle advance under the throttle body. How ever the cluch is a more pressing matter that im going to address in the next couple days. im gunna call around tommorow and try and rope a deal somewhere then the repair begins! as for the pics of the truck and the head gasket repair im gunna post them with the cluch pics.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We must have pics.

Welcome (back) to Yotatech, and I like your avatar!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 PM

ok so she left me stranded a fifteen minute walk from home.
*day one*
she started hesitating and shuddering earlier that day progressively getting worse until the final trip home at which point she got me as far as she could. we pulled over and off the road at that point on went the four ways. We temporarily parted paths, Hers to sit there and think about what she did and mine to retrieve help. I phoned my pal and we drove down confirmed that fuel wasn't getting to the engine putting ether filter or pump to blame and tugged her to my temporary shelter/shop, where we confirmed a dead fuel pump. :'( she was tugged by a jeep grand Cherokee -end day one-

*day two*

ok so going to retrieve tools from my fathers place and battery up the camera.
Much much later that day got tools and removed the tank protector from both trucks.

*day three*

Got the tank dropped out of the parts truck with muck hassle.
I had then go to work, leaving my poor buddy to drop the tank outta my rig.
Day three done with both tanks out and the pumps ready to be swapped.

Last edited by CrazyCat; 11-12-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: post update