86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 09:16 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
So I've been in contact with the eBay seller of the head, but his responses have been one liners and not very clear. First was "Sorry about that do you have pictures"...of course I responded and sent pictures (for the 2nd time), and then I get "I'll have to talk to my head guy", and then after me repeatedly asking what is going on, I finally get "Did you install the head", to which again I tell him the complete story, head has of course not been installed, I never made it that far. This is a week of back and forth, and even though I asked about 5 times if he was going to send me a replacement head or if he was going to refund my money, I never got an answer, so today I initiated a return on eBay, no idea if eBay will make him refund me or what, but hopefully at least eBay can force him to resolve the situation. I have not left any feedback, I was hoping the seller would make good on his 3 month warranty especially given that this head was never even installed.

Anyway, moving on. Today I worked on cleaning up that lower intake that I bought, it was so greasy and the gaskets were stuck on there. After about an hour of degreaser, wire brushing, and a toothbrush scrubbing of the crevices...then another hour of gasket scraping and wire wheeling, it is finally to the point where I'm good with it.

Then I moved on to other tasks. I purchased a Throttle Body rebuild kit from LC Engineering, which really consists of these little shaft seals on either side of the TB. I used a small pic to work the old one out of there. This side has a 10mm nut holding on the pawl for the TPS, and then the other side has a 12mm nut holding down the throttle linkage. With all of that off, you can pry out the old seals, and then I did a degreaser, wire brush and toothbrush scrub of everything. Then I lubed up the new seals with a little Vaseline, and pushed them down in there with a screwdriver. I also purchased a new TPS which will be going on when all this gets back together.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:33 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
The ebay seller of my head stopped replying to my messages, and so I tried initiating a return on ebay for the item, but within like an hour the return status moved to closed, with no information from ebay about what that means, but if these states mean anything, I certainly never got to the refund state. Anyway, I can't let this truck sit here forever, I decided to just rebuild my original head, so I called a few machine shops around here and ended up this morning dropping it off at one of them. They are going to remove the broken bolt in the back of the head for the EGR cooler plate and they are going to helicoil\timecert one of the exhaust stud bolt holes that had a large oversized bolt in it. The front desk guy was very friendly, the guy in the back doing the headwork came up and he instantly knew this was a 22re head, asked if it came out of a Celica or Truck, he clearly knew what he was looking at so I feel pretty good that this shop will do me right.

The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:41 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Crappy deal with Ebay. Hopefully you get some resolution.
The following 3 users liked this post by jakey poo:
coryc85 (04-12-2024), RAD4Runner (04-12-2024), rustED (04-12-2024)